The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2018, 09:18 PM   #51
kmw1954

I can understand why people use it, TiteGroup, as it is widely available, reasonably priced and usually to the low end and in many cases a one pound container will many times load twice as much as many other powders.

With small capacity cases such as the 380 and 9mm I just do not feel comfortable loading with it when the spread from start to max is only 0.3gr. Especially because I load with a progressive press and use a volumetric powder measure that can vary as much as .1gr.

But we digress. I only hope that fossitms has been able to gain something from this conversation. Many good points made!
Old April 16, 2018, 09:29 PM   #52
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I only hope that fossitms has been able to gain something from this conversation. Many good points made!
Indeed.

And it's over fifty posts - that's a heck of a good run for a first-timer!
Old April 17, 2018, 09:38 AM   #53
PPGMD

Quote:
Especially because I load with a progressive press and use a volumetric powder measure that can vary as much as .1gr.
Compared to other powders like Autocomp, 0.1gr of Titegroup is quite large. It takes a lot more movement on the powder measure adjustment screw for me to move 0.1gr with Titegroup. And IME the variance is around 0.05gr with Titegroup, at least with the Dillon powder measures on my two toolheads that I use with it.
Old April 17, 2018, 11:29 AM   #54
kmw1954

Well let's take a look at those 2 powders from Hodgdons website for a 115gr 9mm load.

Lead Round Nose;
Autocomp data, 4.4/5.1gr that is a 8 gr spread
Titegroup data, 3.9/4.4gr that is a 5 gr spread

Speer Gold Dot;
Autocomp, 5.1/5.6gr that is a 6 gr spread
Titegroup, 4.5/4.8gr that is a 4 gr spread.

Boy with that Gold Dot bullet it sure doesn't give you much room to be off. Any of you all can load that if you like but for me I say No Thank You! Too many other available powders that are much more forgiving.

BTW, I use a cheap old Lee Auto Disk that will hold AA#5, Silhouette and HP-38 TO within 0.05gr all day.
Old April 17, 2018, 11:34 AM   #55
PPGMD

Your loss. I've shot a lot of it, it can produce great loads even if they are a little dirty.

It is a very popular powder in practical shooting. Often the most popular or the second most popular powders (behind N320), for iron sight loads in USPSA.
Old April 17, 2018, 12:00 PM   #56
kmw1954

Don't see how I can loose if I don't buy it. Sorry. I'm sure it's popular for many reasons but just because it's popular doesn't mean I have to use it. Unique is popular also and I don't use tat either.
Old April 17, 2018, 08:23 PM   #57
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Don't see how I can loose if I don't buy it (TiteGroup).
You're missing out.

And . . . you're not missing out.

TG is fast and highly energetic. It's abundant and popular - not sure which is the cause, and which is the effect there. It's also economical - I guess that's important to some loaders. To me, the propellant is the least expensive of the components and thus, isn't hardly a factor.

TG is at its best making your basic plated range shooters for most calibers. If you're loading to punch a bunch o' holes in paper at the range, then TiteGroup an ideal propellant. But W231 does everything TG can do, and more. So I've had my 4# run with TG and I made good ammo with it. But I see no need to get any more.

Quote:
Unique is popular also and I don't use that either.
I too fail to see its appeal. They say it's versatile. Not sure how the term is being defined. I used it decades ago; and then grabbed 4#'s of it out of desperation during the shortage. But now, I'm in the process of purging it out of my inventory (a little over a # remaining). I'm making good ammo with it, but I'll be happy when it's gone. Power Pistol does everything it can do - and better - and cleaner - and with faster bullets. PP rocks. Fantastic stuff.
Old April 17, 2018, 09:18 PM   #58
kmw1954

Hopefully fossitms is still with us.

I use the Lee Auto Disk for most of my loading so I look for loads that work best in my guns and also fit well with the measure. So far with the HP-38 I have found 2 loads that work very well with the Lee Measure and with both 115gr and 124gr bullets. So all I need to do is insert the correct disk cavity and go to town. With the HP-38 I could get a 3rd load but it would be right at max and I would then have to weigh every charge to feel safe.

Next I have found 2 loads using Ramshot Silhouette and both 115gr and 124gr 9mm along with 2 loads that work very well in my 380 using 100gr EXTREME bullets. The AA#5 has been disappointing for both the 9mm and the 380 but has worked very well in our 45acp.

Once the AA#5 is gone I have been thinking of trying AA#2 or CFE.
Old April 18, 2018, 11:34 AM   #59
fossitms

Yes, I’m still here. I would like to thank everyone for their insite and experience. ������
I haven’t had a chance to check in the last couple of days. The reason I choose titegroup was the versatility of the powder for the calibers I’m reloading. Being new I wanted to start on the weak side of loads to build my experience. I got all my bullets so far are from Hornady from there rebates. I do have another question for you all. What is your preferred method of measuring the powder? I got a little digital scale with the Hornady kit, but it seems to not keep zeroed all the time. I also bought the Hornady beam scale.
Thanks again.
Old April 18, 2018, 12:13 PM   #60
kmw1954

For all powder measurements I use a beam scale. I also probably weight check more frequently than is really needed while using a powder measure. Most pistol powders measure out pretty consistently from just about every powder measure. And deffenately when loading to the low or mid ranges where a 0.1gr variation isn't going to effect things much.
Old April 18, 2018, 01:27 PM   #61
fossitms

What is everyone’s take on trimming 9mm brass? The books all have different minimums. I know the different lengths can cause a pressure difference.
Old April 18, 2018, 01:57 PM   #62
PPGMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S View Post
TG is fast and highly energetic. It's abundant and popular - not sure which is the cause, and which is the effect there. It's also economical - I guess that's important to some loaders. To me, the propellant is the least expensive of the components and thus, isn't hardly a factor.

TG is at its best making your basic plated range shooters for most calibers. If you're loading to punch a bunch o' holes in paper at the range, then TiteGroup an ideal propellant.
It makes accurate low recoil loads for USPSA. It isn't case position sensitive nor is as temperature sensitive as W231. It is also results in large powder charges (compared to weight) that make double charges very easy to spot even with the small powder charges used. Price isn't a huge concern, but availability is which is why I never tried N320 because it isn't available enough.

I use a Gem Pro scale, it is a reasonably priced scale. I always turn off all fans and the AC when I use it as it is sensitive enough that those will cause it to fluctuate. It actually drove me batty until it was cool enough that I didn't have them on, and I noticed it was rock steady.

Trimming 9mm brass, I don't bother.
Old April 18, 2018, 02:22 PM   #63
Nick_C_S

Quote:
It (TiteGroup) makes accurate low recoil loads for USPSA.
That comes as no surprise to me. Recoil is indeed light with TG.

Quote:
It (TiteGroup) isn't case position sensitive nor is as temperature sensitive as W231.
Hodgdon advertises TG as not being position sensitive. I've run some tests with it using 38 Special (large case volume) and light loads (low propellant volume). Result: there is some position sensitivity. But my tests represented pretty much an extreme scenario; so I won't make the claim that they are incorrect. I'm just saying that I have been able to produce some position sensitivity. To be fair, I have achieved some very consistent chronograph results using TiteGroup.

As for W231 being temperature sensitive, I have heard that. But I have not noticed it personally. Over the years, I have run my pet 45 ACP 200LSWC 5.0gn W231 loading over a chronograph countless times. I've done this at all times of the year. Nothing has raised any eyebrows. They run right around 840 f/s every time I check them.