The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 3, 2018, 03:41 PM   #1
OhioGuy

Red Dot styles

For a rifle, is there any advantage or disadvantage to a compact sight like a Trijicon RMR, vs. the tubular style red dot sights?

Are the tubes less susceptible to glare outdoors?
Old April 3, 2018, 04:24 PM   #2
marine6680

I personally feel the small micro reflex sights like the RMR and Deltapoint...

Are not wee suited as a primary optic. They seem too fragile for that role. They are exposed and can be damaged if the rifle is dropped. I have heard stories of them breaking from such things.

There are special mounts that have protective pieces that would take the brunt of the damgae in the case of a drop though.

I think they are better used on pistols, small pistol sub guns, and as backups or offset sights on a rifle.
Old April 3, 2018, 05:24 PM   #3
LilPewPew

So tubular red-dot sights (reflex sights) are better?
Old April 3, 2018, 05:34 PM   #4
raimius

A bigger window will generally mean a more forgiving range in acceptable eye placement.

Are you looking for max speed or lightest/smallest?
Old April 3, 2018, 06:46 PM   #5
rpenmanparker

Don’t put a large optic on a small gun. I like the tubular type on my target pistols and the open reflex type on my service and SD type pistols. Sometimes the choice is determined by what mounting hardware is available for your pistol. The tubulars tend to attach commonly to rails while the reflex type tend to either screw down onto a mounting plate that attaches to the top of the slide frequently via the rear sight dovetail cut or to a rail mount.
Old April 3, 2018, 07:13 PM   #6
Mobuck

I prefer the tube style (AimPoint, Vortex StrikeFire, and such) on long guns. Simply easier for me to use, more resistant to bad weather, and looks more like a rifle scope.
Old April 3, 2018, 08:42 PM   #7
imashooter

Personal preference. One is no better than the other. Some folks prefer a reflex which will normally give you a better field of view even when shooting 2-eyed with either style. Some folks find a small reflex distracting due to the extended field of view. They (imo) should be more focused at the task at hand. I have micro-red dot, the normal tube-sized, and reflex. They each have their pluses and minuses but I find them pretty much a toss up. To a degree, depending on how I'm using a weapon can make me lean toward a particular style.
Old April 4, 2018, 01:48 AM   #8
marine6680

My personal favorite red dots for a rifle, especially an AR...

Are the micro red dots, like the Aimpoint T2, or Trijicon MRO. If made well and with a good layout, they do not obstruct your field of view much. The T2 is my favorite. The MRO is a second, and the Aimpoint PRO is a very close third, even if it isn't a micro. Price point gets the PRO in the running.

If you are on a budget and want a micro, the new Primary Arms advanced micro red dot is nice. They recently updated it to be more durable, and it already was pretty durable to start.
Old April 4, 2018, 10:11 AM   #9
imashooter

My "barely favorite" but favorite is a circle dot. It would be my grande favorite if manufacturers would cut the thickness of the circle in half. My latest is the Vortex Spitfire AR 1x Prism Scope w/ etched reticle and red/green illumination if needed. It's a circle, circle, dot. Etched-only mode is black of course.