The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 28, 2018, 07:44 AM   #1
bikermj

Remington 572 Fieldmaster issue

I have a 572 Remington Fieldmaster that I bought in the late 1960's. Haven't shot it in many years but pulled it out recently and introduced it to my son and grandson at my range. It shot perfectly. In cleaning it afterwards, I separated the barrel from the receiver (this was probably the first time that it had been done.) I read the manual on doing this and was aware of the need to "not mess with the receiver bushing." Reassembled the rifle and shot it again at the range. Upon cleaning it, I noticed that the barrel lock screw and receiver bushing were missing. I ordered the two parts and when received could not understand how to install the rubber receiver bushing? I don't see how to install it. Has anyone done this before? How do you do it? What is the purpose of the bushing? Thanks.
bikermj
Old March 29, 2018, 12:26 AM   #2
blackwidowp61

Might be better to ask your question on The Smithy thread.

Laugh at your problems, everybody else does.
Old March 29, 2018, 11:33 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...separated the barrel from the receiver..." Why? Shouldn't ever be a need to do that.
The exploded drawing is here. http://stevespages.com/ipb-remington-572.html
Old April 1, 2018, 12:52 PM   #4
jimsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikermj View Post
I have a 572 Remington Fieldmaster that I bought in the late 1960's. Haven't shot it in many years but pulled it out recently and introduced it to my son and grandson at my range. It shot perfectly. In cleaning it afterwards, I separated the barrel from the receiver (this was probably the first time that it had been done.) I read the manual on doing this and was aware of the need to "not mess with the receiver bushing." Reassembled the rifle and shot it again at the range. Upon cleaning it, I noticed that the barrel lock screw and receiver bushing were missing. I ordered the two parts and when received could not understand how to install the rubber receiver bushing? I don't see how to install it. Has anyone done this before? How do you do it? What is the purpose of the bushing? Thanks.
bikermj
I am actually looking at the instruction folder that came with the Fieldmaster my father bought for me. I see: NOTE: If the barrel is disassembled from the receiver, special care must be taken that the receiver bushing, located at the lower front of the receiver extension remain undisturbed and firmly staked to the receiver. They recommend, kerosene be used as the cleaning solvent. I always knew this. Kerosene & original Liquid Wrench do a great job. No residue & good lubrication.
Old April 18, 2018, 08:42 AM   #5
WWWJD

Quote:
"...separated the barrel from the receiver..." Why? Shouldn't ever be a need to do that.
It's not all that dissimilar to the 522 Speedmaster in regards to the bolt, barrel face and receiver.. if you EVER want to get all the rimfire gunk out of it, the barrel has to come off. After a couple hundred rounds, mine always has extraction issues.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old May 2, 2018, 08:19 AM   #6
mott

On u-tube a site called gunblue490, this fella really knows his way around a 572. He has no problems breaking his down, very easy to listen to and understand. You won't be sorry.
Mott