The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 30, 1999, 10:13 AM   #1
Ned Roundtree

This is one of favorite movies. I watched the other day on cable. The little boy is playing with some kind of rifle. He makes the comment that he wished his Pa would let him have bullets for it. My old eyes are failing. What type of rifle is that?
Old December 30, 1999, 01:11 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Ned,

I haven't seen Shane in awhile,so I can't answer youre question,but I did hear an interesting bit of info on the radio. Country singer Mary Chapin Carpenter is going to write the music and lyrics for a Broadway version of Shane-should prove interesting.

Bellicose Bill
Old December 30, 1999, 02:22 PM   #3
Ned Roundtree

Sounds plausible. This year we had ANNIE GET YOUR GUN on Broadway. Western folklore is so much a part of our history everyone enjoys it. Also SHANE only requires five main characters and four to five support characters at minimum. Three sets: main house, boot hill, saloon/general store. It would be very easy to do.
Old January 1, 2000, 03:39 AM   #4
Bullmoose

Question to anyone owning the video or seeing it recently: did the credits say "Introducing Walter 'Jack" Palance"? It seems that was his first movie and his name. Just curious as that is what I remember and trying to find out if old age has completely destroyed my memory or not. BullMoose
Old January 1, 2000, 01:12 PM   #5
Ned Roundtree

That's my problem. I never got it on tape. But I believe you are correct. His first movie as major part. Do you remember the movie that was Allan Ladd's first? Hint: It was a John Wayne movie.
Old January 3, 2000, 05:38 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, folks,

I didn't see what kind of rifle the boy had, but did anyone notice that Alan Ladd's SA Colt became a Colt New Service DA when he went into action. You can't see it in the TV version, but if you catch it on the big screen, look for the change. Reason was that Alan Ladd was a small man with small hands and couldn't fire a SA fast enough. (Today they would just fake it with computer enhancement, but didn't do that back then.)

Jim