The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 29, 2014, 12:40 AM   #1
A pause for the COZ

Traveling with a hand gun.

I dont know the answer to this so I would ask opinions.
We are going on a road trip to Colorado from Minnesota.
I wish to take a unloaded and cased hand gun in the rear of our van.
Loaded magazines would be with in reach.

Obviously this would be of no use for an immediate threat situation. But would at least give the opportunity for protection if a developing threat arises.

Not my optimum choice, but I would rather not end up in the clink trying to defend our selves.

Ideas?
Old July 29, 2014, 01:47 AM   #2
rwilson452

Quote:
I dont know the answer to this so I would ask opinions.
We are going on a road trip to Colorado from I dont know the answer to this so I would ask opinions.
We are going on a road trip to Colorado from Minnesota.
I wish to take a unloaded and cased hand gun in the rear of our van.
Loaded magazines would be with in reach.

Obviously this would be of no use for an immediate threat situation. But would at least give the opportunity for protection if a developing threat arises.

Not my optimum choice, but I would rather not end up in the clink trying to defend our selves.

Ideas?
You don't state if you have a CCW from Minnesota. It makes a big difference. If you have one, your good until you get to Colorado. That state doesn't recognize your CCW. If you don't have one your going to need to lock up both your pistol and your ammo separately. I could be wrong but I don't think so. Go to www.handgunlaw.us It's s good authority on the subject.
Old July 29, 2014, 03:08 AM   #3
A pause for the COZ

Thanks for the input.

Locking them separate would be possible.
Not preferable, but doable.
Old July 29, 2014, 06:14 AM   #4
foxytwo

Go to http://www.handgunlaw.us and you can find answers for each state you pass through.
Old July 29, 2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Hiker 1

You certainly want to check the laws of the states you are passing through. You may not need to keep it unloaded.

Despite the recent goofy and useless laws that were passed, Colorado is pretty gun-friendly.

No concealed reciprocity with Minnesota though, so carrying concealed will be out.
Old July 29, 2014, 12:11 PM   #6
Glockstar .40

You can always open carry in Colorado. Unless you go to denver. Denver does not allow open carry. Watch out for signs that say "no displaying of firearms" at some locations though.
Old July 29, 2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Glockstar .40

Your car is also an extension of your house so you may conceal carry a loaded firearm in you car. However when you get out of your car it MUST be clearly visible.
Old July 29, 2014, 05:04 PM   #8
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
Your car is also an extension of your house so you may conceal carry a loaded firearm in you car. However when you get out of your car it MUST be clearly visible.
Glockstar.

Per www.hangunlaw.us, Colorado Revised Statute 18-12-204 reads:

Quote:
18-12-204. Permit Contents - Validity - Carrying Requirements.
(3) (a) a person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:

(I) the handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense.
Old July 29, 2014, 05:09 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockstar .40
That may well be true in some jurisdictions but presented as it is as a blanket, all-inclusive statement... it is patently false.
Old July 29, 2014, 05:16 PM   #10
Glockstar .40

Quote:
That may well be true in some jurisdictions but presented as it is as a blanket, all-inclusive statement... it is patently false.
How so? From colorado state patrol.

Quote:
Title 18: Colorado allows a person to carry a firearm in a vehicle if its use is for lawful protection of such person or another's person or property. [C.R.S. 18-12-105(2)] Colorado law also allows a person to possess a handgun in a dwelling, place of business, or automobile. However, when you carry the weapon into your home, business, hotel room, etc. it must be in plain view. Local jurisdictions may not enact laws that restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon. [C.R.S. 18-12-105.6] The Act permits the nationwide carrying of concealed handguns by qualified current and retired law enforcement officers and amends the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Pub. L. 90-618, 82 Stat. 1213) to exempt qualified current and retired law enforcement officers from state and local laws prohibiting the carry of concealed firearms.
Old July 29, 2014, 06:00 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
How so? From colorado state patrol.
The original question was about a multi-state trip, and many of the posts in response discussed intervening states. There was nothing in your post to indicate that your answer applied only to Colorado.
Old July 29, 2014, 06:49 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How so?
As Aquila said, you presented it without context.

Also, as you presented it, it is false even in Colorado since the Penal Code that you quoted specifies that the firearm must NOT be concealed and you specifically said that a person may carry concealed.
Old July 29, 2014, 07:05 PM   #13
Glockstar .40

Quote:
The original question was about a multi-state trip, and many of the posts in response discussed intervening states. There was nothing in your post to indicate that your answer applied only to Colorado.
Post #6 I mentioned Colorado. I wrote post # 7 right after. In my mind it was an extension of post 6. My apologies I should have just used the edit button but I figured it was a given that I was talking about colorado still since open carry isnt legal in every state.

also in my defense no other states were mentioned besides mn so I dont see how "many other intervening states were discussed"

Last edited by Glockstar .40; July 29, 2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old July 29, 2014, 07:10 PM   #14
Glockstar .40

Quote:
Also, as you presented it, it is false even in Colorado since the Penal Code that you quoted specifies that the firearm must NOT be concealed and you specifically said that a person may carry concealed.
We are talking about vehicle carry. The Penal Code I quoted states,

Quote:
However, when you carry the weapon into your home, business, hotel room, etc. it must be in plain view.
This implies you are out of your vehicle. So in other words it does not have to be in plain view while in your vehicle.
Old July 29, 2014, 07:38 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting, that could be true but it's unclear from the statute or at least that quoted section.
Old July 29, 2014, 07:53 PM   #16
Glockstar .40

Perhaps this will read better.

Quote:
See C.R.S. 18-12-204

(3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:
(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or
(II) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state.
(b) The provisions of this subsection (3) shall not be construed to authorize the carrying of a handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-105 or 18-12-105.5.
Old August 22, 2014, 12:26 AM   #17
xssv

Just google each state's laws. Its fast and easy. Most are pretty much the same.
Old August 22, 2014, 12:39 AM   #18
dakota.potts

You might not need to unload it. I recently went from Florida to South Carolina and the laws of all states I passed through allowed me to keep it loaded in the glove console. South Carolina even allowed me to transport it concealed from the car to the hotel room - something Florida does not provide for.