The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2013, 12:06 AM   #1
huntinaz

45ACP, 230gr Hornady XTP (milk jug test)

Well I finally broke down and bought a 45 ACP. I've "needed" a 45 auto pistol for years and decided it was time. I couldn't decide what to get first, a 1911 or an XD so in my foolishness/genius I bought one of each.

Anyway to the reloading part. I bought a box of 230gr Hornady XTPs and worked up loads with Unique and Ramshot Silhouette powders as they should give decent speed. Accuracy wise, I settled on 7.6gr Silhouette. Recoil is stout but manageable, shot well in both pistols but expecially from the XD (should have taken pics of the target, t his post is an afterthought). The first trip out I tried to catch one in water using 2 half-gallon juice jugs and a milk jug on the end... blew right thru all 3 stacked in a row. So yesterday I went back out to test the load one more time before loading up another 200. This time I brought 3 juice jugs and a milk jug.... and I caught one!

The shot was from a 4" barrel at ~ 5 yards. It was in the milk jug on the end, and almost punched thru it. Almost an exit hole, made half a flap on the back side but not quite thru. Measures 0.73" at the widest point across and weight retention was 229.7gr.

Loaded up 100 rounds tonight, and I have another box on the shelf. I'm not sure shooting them into water jugs proves much other than they expand in water, but accuracy is good and I'm happy with the load. Anyway, FYI.

Old February 1, 2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Cheap 870

Looks like perfect expansion. I've got a couple 100 230 XTP's loaded up with 4.8grs of Titegroup. I'm thinking about 800fps. I always like XTP's & around by me it seems like evey local gun shop carry's them.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3
chris in va

Interesting tidbit...

I was reading an article about the XTP bullet. An engineer was playing around with them and filled one with polymer. The jacket and core were reinforced a bit and voila...the Critical Defense was born.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Cheap 870

Yes but Hornady doesn't offer the flexlock bullet to reloaders.
I like the looks of 230 Gold Dots.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:50 PM   #5
LE-28

Good stuff!