The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 1, 2013, 03:38 PM   #26
sgms

I am also one of the get a .22. Outstanding range pistol, fun to shoot, and lower cost.(both ammunition and most often pistol prices as well) If you like the S&W 686 then look at the S&W 617, if you want a semi-auto. there are a number of good 1911's made in the .22 rimfire as well. Just get as many in your hand as you can at your shops of choice and decide what fits your hand and feels best in your hand. That will probably be your best way to pick one if you can not get to shoot one before buying.
Old February 1, 2013, 04:02 PM   #27
sigshepardo

9mm brother

Since stopping power is not a need for you the .45 ACP can be ruled out until later. For a novice shooter, my vote goes to the 9mm. I started on a Springfield XDm 9mm. It was alright, till I found a Browning Hi-Power 9mm. I prefer a steel frame pistol.
Old February 1, 2013, 05:17 PM   #28
oldgunsmith

I'm with SGMS. Lean toward what feels most natural and comfortable in your hand.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:37 PM   #29
DaleA

I like the idea of getting the .45 ACP and getting a .22 conversion kit for it too.

Be just a little careful if you do that though. I had a genuine Colt 1911 and a genuine Colt .22 conversion unit and it did not work at all well. Poor accuracy and many jams-it was very finicky about ammo. A good friend of mine had a different .22 conversion unit on his 1911 .45 and it was VERY accurate and reliable. YMMV. Also, and this is heresy in the gun world, IMhO if you are going to do concealed carry a Glock or a double action revolver would be a better choice than a 1911 for a new shooter.

For you in NY an overriding concern might be to get what's hot while the gettings good before the world of restrictions closes in on you. (Note: it is 2/2/2013 and that might already have happened.)

Last edited by DaleA; February 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added finicky about ammo.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:26 AM   #30
Ale GOlem

As per a lot of the advice in this thread I've been looking into a .22 for my fist handgun, the Sig Sauer Mosquito is drawing my attention and doens't look like it'll break the bank, especially if I can find it used. I'll take any suggestions people might have for alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA
For you in NY an overriding concern might be to get what's hot while the gettings good before the world of restrictions closes in on you. (Note: it is 2/2/2013 and that might already have happened.)
Yeah, about that... The laws have been in effect for a little bit now so getting anything might be a bit of challenge however we're fighting this in court so we'll see. I'm not sure how the whole magazine modification will be handled but hopefully I'll be able to find something out there. Luckily my girl and I were already planning on leaving NY within a couple years so we won't have to deal with this state much longer.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:49 AM   #31
Mystro

Like many here, I would say start with a 22lR and then move on to a 9mm. It's cheaper ammo and both guns will do what you want. The 45acp is a great gun but for a novice, you will a want a full size heavier gun to feel comfortable and then it will be too big to carry. A good mid size 9mm like a Glock19 or if you want to go more high end, look at a Sig Sauer P229 in 9mm.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old February 6, 2013, 10:53 AM   #32
silvrjeepr

The 686 revolver is a wonderful piece of art. It was my first and until last year only pistol. Whatever you choose, I recommend putting one of these on your list as an addition to the stable.

Can ya tell I'm biased?
Old February 6, 2013, 11:16 AM   #33
Motor-T Marine

My first pistol was1911 (.45) and it is awesome but I gave it to my dad when I bought a glock (.40) and hated it sold it after 5 ranges . I now have a Browning hi power 9mm. It's the best pistol for me . Key words there. FOR ME. Please try a browning. It's not The most popular these days and if you ask the cool guy at the gun store he probably sell you a sig. Which is an awesome weapon as well. But ask the old guy about browning hi power. Keep an open mind. Felt recoil on the browning is low. It's a heavy frame.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:22 AM   #34
Mystro

Good point...don't overlook a good S&W revolver like the 686. They are a masterful piece and if you are in NY with a round limitation, a 4" isn't a bad idea.
I have a lot of guns and find myself carrying my S&W Governor a lot in and out of the woods. A beautiful revolver is very gratifying.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old February 9, 2013, 02:00 AM   #35
davidsoc

a .45 shouldn't be too much for you. im a string bean at 5'10" 135lbs and size small hands and .45 is my favorite caliber to shoot...well maybe besides .22lr because of the price

as far as recoil between 9mm and .45 the later has more recoil...but its a different feeling, the 9 feels a little more like a sharp crack where the .45 is more of a heavy thud or push

Last edited by davidsoc; February 9, 2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:59 AM   #36
Ale GOlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale Golem
Yeah, about that... The laws have been in effect for a little bit now so getting anything might be a bit of challenge however we're fighting this in court so we'll see.
It seems I was misinformed, we still have until mid-April before the magazine ban goes into effect.

Last edited by Ale GOlem; February 9, 2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:20 PM   #37
BurgerBoy

I would go with a 9mm.
Self Defense Stories
Old February 10, 2013, 01:50 PM   #38
Cheapshooter

Quote:
PS- This will not be a carry gun, simply a range/hobby firearm so stopping power is not a concern for me.
This comment pretty much says it all. A 22 Rimfire would be a perfect choice. Especially with you being a brand new, inexperienced shooter. Easy shooting, much lower cost of ammo (it will be available again). Lots of learnin', shootin', and fun for the money.There will be time to move up to a centerfire some day, even in NY.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 10, 2013, 02:38 PM   #39
Dr Big Bird PhD

In this situation, I would lean towards a revolver because of the magazine limit.

The big reason I would get a semi-automatic is because of capacity. In my opinion anyone can shoot a 38 special. Couple that with the potential ability to move up to .357 after practice.

The OP mentioned that firing a .45/higher recoil round was far more fun. Since this will be a plinking/range gun, we need think about the OP having fun and wanting to go back to the range above all else.

He can get the best of practice (38) and fun (357), while not worrying about NY capacity limitations.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 11, 2013, 09:59 PM   #40
iMagUdspEllr

I suppose if you live in New York where they are now lowering the magazine capacity to 7 rounds it is rather pointless to argue for the greater capacity a 9mm would give you. You might as well have a revolver.

I would still like to push you towards a semi-auto just because they are faster to reload (which would help deal with the ludicrously small magazine capacity), easier to shoot (no DA trigger to help pull your front sight off-target and less recoil), and the ammo is normally easier to come by and cheaper than .38 special or .357 magnum.

But, you said the gun won't be for defense. So, I say get a .357 magnum 4" or 6". It will be fun to shoot and you can save money by shooting .38 special and only shooting .357 magnum when you want to have maximum fun. Again, this gun isn't for defense so any .357 magnum 4" or 6" revolver will do.

Just to get something different you could get the Chiappa Rhino 4" revolver. Its ugly, but the chamber that fires is the bottom chamber instead of the top chamber which directs more of the recoil into your arm and gives you less muzzle flip. It will make shooting .38 special really really fun, easy, and fast. Unfortunately it will probably direct more of the .357 magnum recoil into your hand/wrist/arm. But that is why you are shooting the .357m right? Because its fun to feel the boom?