The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 16, 2012, 10:00 PM   #1
HungryHunter

5.56 zero

Okay.....I have 5.56 windham which I zeroed using 55grain 5.56 fmj ammo. I went ahead and zeroed it, and the bdc. Now it seems I didn't do my homework and come time to hunt I can't get Hornady vmax's or varmit ammo in 5.56, but can get 223 hornadys in 55grain. I have had a lot of sucess with this ammo in other calibers, and would prefer to use it. My question is, before i go buy a box n go back to the bench, I assume my zero will change? I would much rather be told I'm wrong than buy the ammo, and spare the time. So will the 223 shoot the same as the 556? This may be a stupid question to some folks, but I would appreciate the help.
Old December 16, 2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Technosavant

I'd be surprised if the zero changed all THAT much. It is likely to change some, but if the bullet weight and speed out of the barrel are similar, the difference is not likely to be massive. I would imagine potential differences in the bullet design and construction will be more significant than the .223/5.56 difference.
Old December 16, 2012, 10:34 PM   #3
HungryHunter

Ok, much appreciated. Now that I think about it I suppose its probably much smarter to buy the ammo n see than get out there n miss. Could have answered my own question I guess. I was just very very hsppy with that zero. Was truthfully hoping someone would say, " Nope you're good." Then I could blame them if a yote gets away
Old December 16, 2012, 10:44 PM   #4
stolivar

I have seen them change

I have seen it change as much as 8 inches by changing brands. I would definitely check it at the range.

steve
Old December 16, 2012, 11:13 PM   #5
HungryHunter

Wow! 8“? Thanks fellas, looks like I'm going to the range after work
Old December 17, 2012, 01:10 AM   #6
Metal god

I would take a a couple different boxes of the most comon rounds in your area to shoot .( this way you will always be able to find ammo your rifle is zeroed too ) Zero your rifle with your favorite ammo and what ever you plan to do most of your hunting or what ever with . Reset your turets to zero and shoot one of the other comon ammos and adjust your sights so your are zeroed for that ammo and right down the # of clicks and in what direction . Retun your scope back to zero and do the same with the next box of ammo . Now when ever you shoot that ammo you can refer back to your dope card/notes and know what to adjust your scope to for each of those ammo's . I've noticed some of my biggest differences have been when the wieght of the bullets are very different .

EDIT added a few things to be more clear

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 17, 2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:23 AM   #7
scsov509

Quote:
I've noticed some of my biggest differences have been what the wieght of the bullets are very different .
This has been my experience also. For hunting purposes with a BDC reticle I doubt you'll see anywhere near enough POI shift to matter. Pick up similar weight bullets that list a comparable muzzle velocity and you should be good.

Last edited by scsov509; December 17, 2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Added quote
Old December 17, 2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Topcoat

I zeroed my Rock River Predator, 20" heavy Stainless 1 in 8 twist, 1 !/2" high at 100 yd. using factory Hornady 55 grn. Vmax rounds. When I switched to 55 grn. FMJ (Hornady I think) POI changed to about 2 1/2 to 3 in. low and about 1/2 in. left IIRC...