The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 8, 2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Vodkanockers

S&W 22A question

Hello, I'm a new old guy here. Found this forum when I was hunting for 22 reviews.

I just got a new S&W 22a an was wondering about what height scope rings it will take to clear the rear sights so I can put a BSA 2X20 scope on the gun.

I was also thinking about the wally world red dot scope they sell for about 45-50 bucks.

Haven't even got to shoot it yet, since I just got it yesterday. It's to dang hot here in the Ozarks to even be outside for an old guy like me with lung trouble.

I have plenty of federal bulk ammo for it from wally world, and could use any tips y'all might have on this gun.

Thanx,
Ron - AKA Vodkanockers
Old August 8, 2012, 10:27 AM   #2
aarondhgraham

Hello Vodkanockers,,,

I put one of those inexpensive red dots on a Beretta NEOS pistol,,,
That's a dedicated .22 target pistol very similar to the 22A,,,
It worked just fine for me and didn't break.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 15, 2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Spudgun3

S&W22 A

I have a s&w 22a-1 that I have a cheap red dot BSA sight and it works well. I don't have it mounted high enough to use the open sights. I would caution you to mount any optics as far to the rear of the gun as possible. I have sent my 22A-1 back to Smith & Wesson twice to have the frame replaced when it has broke. Both times it has broken right where the trigger pin goes through the frame. If you take thebgrips off, you can see this pin and there isn't much meat around it to support it. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the extra weight of the optics sitting in front of the trigger has contributed to this problem. S&W has been good about exchanging the frame for free, but it is a 2-3 month turn around and the gun has to be shipped to a FFL holder because it has a new serial number. They don't pay for that. I'm going to mount my sight as far to the rear as I can this time and see if that helps it last longer. I really love the waybthis gun shoots and have put several 1000s of rounds thru it with no problems. You'll know when the frame breaks at that pin because it will quit firing.