The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Amsdorf

Overview of Benelli M4 with Field Stripping/Reassembly Instructions HD VIDEO

I can't get enough of this shotgun. It such a joy to shoot and so easy to disassemble, maintain and reassemble. This video provides an overview of the Benelli M4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cysEYnLrO6E

Last edited by Amsdorf; July 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old July 27, 2012, 05:46 AM   #2
darkgael

Best

Best is a big four letter word. It covers a lot of ground. Given that shotguns in general are extremely versatile, one has to ask how the Benelli qualifies as the best (very different than saying that you like it better than any other shotgun).
Is it the best Upland gun? Best for pass shooting? Best at Trap? Skeet? Sporting Clays? It can be used for these but is it the best choice for any of them?
(I mention those activities because they are far more likely uses for a shotgun than any other.)
Best also implies that the user has experience with every other shotgun available.
Pete
Old July 27, 2012, 07:04 AM   #3
Amsdorf

All good points...hence...the question mark in the subject line.
Old July 27, 2012, 12:02 PM   #4
idek

I think it's safe to say it's nowhere near the best for hunting and clay shooting applications. It wouldn't be near the top of my HD list either. I'm sure it functions well. So do a lot of other guns. The stock's LOP (listed at 14-3/8") seems very long for an HD gun, and that extra comb piece just looks like a giant hook that could snag on clothing, a sling, or other objects at inopportune times.

Personally, I'd prefer something like this or this if I wanted a semi-auto HD gun. Simpler stock, good reputation for reliability, and they cost a fraction of what the M4 does.

Last edited by idek; July 27, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old July 27, 2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Amsdorf

The M4 comes with an internal choke that you can adjust for skeet shooting, I'm looking forward to giving that a whirl. With a nine round capacity, I think even I'll do well at it.

: )

As for HD, not sure why you would say that...it is an awesome combat shotgun used very well by the USMC. And the LOP on my stock is very nice.

No need for the silly remark about Call of Duty. I do not play video games.

I smell the distinct odor of Benelli envy!

Last edited by Amsdorf; July 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old July 27, 2012, 12:31 PM   #6
BigJimP

The M-4 is a good tactical shotgun... / if I wanted a tactical shotgun...the M4 would be on the top of my list.

But in my opinion...it falls way short of even being an acceptable shotgun ....for any flying targets ( feathered or clay ). At any respectable clay target club ...you can never load more than 2 shells ...one in chamber, one in mag...so capacity isn't a factor. In clays - the sight plane ( longer is better ) is a big factor to smooth our your swing and follow thru .../ 30" barrels are common for skeet, sporting clays ...and 32" or 34" barrels on common for Trap.

Benelli Super Sport model ...12ga...30" barrel is a much better shotgun for birds or clays.../ very different swing characteristics compared to the M4.
Old July 27, 2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Amsdorf

Fortunately, I belong to a private gun club that is not snooty.

: )
Old July 27, 2012, 01:39 PM   #8
idek

Quote:
As for HD, not sure why you would say that...it is an awesome combat shotgun used very well by the USMC. And the LOP on my stock is very nice.

No need for the silly remark about Call of Duty. I do not play video games.

I smell the distinct odor of Benelli envy!
If you reread my post, you'll see I said the M4 is not at the top of MY list. At no point did I say it's a bad gun or a bad choice for other people.

To reiterate, my biggest issue is with the stock. Many people (including myself) think a squared-up stance is better for tactical purposes, because it allows a person to walk more naturally with the gun mounted and allows better balance and a wider range of upper body motion while on the move. For this type of stance, a shorter stock works better, because your shoulder is farther forward. A longer stock is fine if you plan to use the same mount and stance that you'd use for hunting and clays.

Sorry if the Call of Duty comment offended you (and I didn't intend to lump you in with that demographic), but it's that cheek piece that put the thought in my mind. It gives the gun a distinctive, aggressive look, but I'm in the "less is more" crowd. If the gun needs that extra comb piece to get the eye to the proper level, I'm not sure why Benelli didn't just make the comb on the stock higher to begin with. The extra piece just adds more "snaggable" surfaces to something a person never wants to get snagged in a HD situation.

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not too envious of your Benelli. I may have been several years ago, but my tastes have changed as I've used more guns. But as long as you can get what you like and I can get what I like, that's what's important.

Last edited by idek; July 27, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old July 27, 2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Amsdorf

I think your snark about Call of Duty kind of ruined any point you were trying to make and repeating it with more snark certainly didn't help your point get any stronger in your second remark.

I have a Mesa Urbino tactical stock on it, in case you didn't notice if you watched the video. No problem with LOP.

I need the cheek riser in order to my my Aimpoint optic on the shotgun.

If you would refrain from gratuitous cheap shots you would probably be able to express an opinion more effectively, FWIW.
Old July 27, 2012, 01:57 PM   #10
idek

Sorry, I missed the fact that it wasn't a Benelli stock. 28 minutes was more than I wanted to spend on a gun review. Did the gun come with that stock, or did you buy it separately?
Old July 27, 2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Amsdorf

You would have seen it was not a Benelli stock in the first forty seconds.

Old July 27, 2012, 02:04 PM   #12
WillyKern69

The SX3 shoots faster I belive. It also does everthing you gun does for about a $1000(or more) less.
WK
Old July 27, 2012, 02:10 PM   #13
Amsdorf

I've heard it does, seen a video claiming it does, but....

I was able to get off six shots in .7 seconds with my M4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUYlmuT7bUI

If it is such a sturdy shotgun, why isn't it the standard US military combat shotgun? Just saying.
Old July 27, 2012, 02:15 PM   #14
WillyKern69

Prolly politics.
Old July 27, 2012, 02:16 PM   #15
Amsdorf

Right......that must be it.

Old July 27, 2012, 02:23 PM   #16
idek

Quote:
You would have seen it was not a Benelli stock in the first forty seconds.
Probably true. I skipped ahead right away. But the fact remains that I would prefer a conventional stock (no pistol grip, no comb apparatus). I see no need for optics on a HD gun. And, in my experience, Benelli, Beretta, Remington, and Mossberg semi-autos can all shoot where I point, function very reliably, and soften felt recoil. So while your M4 is fine gun, it's not my cup of tea.

You started this thread with hyperbole in the form of a question. Doesn't that invite contrasting opinions, or are you just hoping everyone will agree with you? I don't expect you and everyone else to agree with me, but I thought the purpose of your thread was to get opinions.

So it's a gratuitous cheap shot to say M4s would appeal to gamers, but it's okay to say Winchesters are toys? ETA: I see you decided to delete that statement.
Old July 27, 2012, 02:35 PM   #17
Amsdorf

I do see your point. I find the cheek riser helpful because how it helps me see through my Aimpoint optic. The US Military version of the M4 also has a similar cheek riser feature.

As always, your mileage may vary.

And you are correct, my subject header was just stoopid. I should not have done that. My mistake.

Thanks for dinging me on that, I deserved it.

Oh, unlike you, I deleted my stupid remark about toys. Maybe you'll dump the video game references??
Old July 27, 2012, 02:46 PM   #18
idek

Alright Sir. I have to admit I've just had a bit of an argumentative streak in me the last day or two. I didn't intent it to be nasty or personal. I just happen to prefer revolvers over Glocks, lever actions over ARs, and plain Jane shotguns over those with optics and specialized stocks. The M4 has obviously proven itself good enough for the USMC, but old school 870s and 500s have served the military and LE for decades, and they are still all I need.

I retract any insulting gamer/mall ninja comments and will just restate that as long as you can get what you like and I can get what I like, that's what's important.

So in final response to the question posed: no, I don't think the the M4 is the world's best shotgun.
Old July 27, 2012, 02:50 PM   #19
Amsdorf

I must admit to you I've had an argumentative streak in me for at least 50 years, which is how old I am. I'm old enough to know better.

My tastes in firearms run the full gamut. For a while I'm hot on wheel guns, then back to semi-autos, for a while it is 1911 only, then I enjoy my H&K MK23 for a few range sessions, then the M9, but...

Don't get me going on my Garands and M1 Carbines, I go nuts there.

Oh, yes, my Mosins, and my Yugos.

I'm pretty much of a gun slut, I tend to sleep around a lot.

Old July 28, 2012, 05:32 AM   #20
darkgael

9?

Quote:
The M4 comes with an internal choke that you can adjust for skeet shooting, I'm looking forward to giving that a whirl. With a nine round capacity, I think even I'll do well at it.
I don't quite follow that comment. What does having a nine shot magazine have to do with doing well at a sport that only allows you to shoot two shots at a time maximum?
Gun clubs and snootiness. The normal requirements of 16 yard Trap are that one loads a single shell at a time. The rationale is that the gun does not need any more ammo in it than can be shot at a single target. It has nothing to do with being "snooty". With a fully loaded nine shot semi-auto, you have a gun in battery after every shot, when the action is required to be open, including the times when you and the squad are changing positions. Not the safest situation nor necessary.
Pete

PS - neat video. You did establish a faster cyclic rate than Flanigan. The record may well be yours when you can shoot 12 that fast.

Last edited by darkgael; July 28, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old July 28, 2012, 07:04 AM   #21
Amsdorf

Our gun club has great skeet, trap, five stand areas that are entirely self-policed. In other words, if you want to go out and have a fun time blasting away at clays, that's entirely up to you. There will be no range nazis chasing you down telling you only to take two shots.

So, if I put up a bird from the tower and need nine rounds to hit it...I can.

It's fun.

Last edited by Amsdorf; July 28, 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old July 28, 2012, 09:15 AM   #22
RJM

Benelli M4 is a pretty good tactical shotgun; however, it isn't the shotgun I would choose for home defense, shooting clays at any discipline, or bird hunting. So, no, it isn't the best shotgun in the world.

My Maxus makes a much better bird gun, so does my Browning Silver Lightning, which also makes a decent clay gun.
Old July 28, 2012, 12:19 PM   #23
johnbt

" Best Shotgun in the World? "

No, but it's a very good shotgun for certain uses.

John
Old July 28, 2012, 01:40 PM   #24
Creeper

Let see... where to begin. A little wordy... bear with me.

Mr. Amsdorf, AKA "ptmccain" has produced a number of videos that can be seen on youtube.
From this you can see who he is, and that he likes guns and likes to make videos. My perception is that he's an intelligent guy, an inquisitive guy and a talented guy. He also occasionally makes statements that tic people off a bit.

If you ignore the negative perceptions and take it all in with a grain of salt... the videos and his enthusiasm can be entertaining, and for many, will be educational.
If you take his comments as confrontation, they can be, ah... vexing. Is he trying to start an argument? Does he really think that his M4 is the best there is? Is he an idiot with a video camera?

I tend to think sometimes that we are all, or have the potential to be, really annoying at times... not always from the testosterone fueled need for one-ups-manship, but frequently from our own enthusiasm. We may forget, in that enthusiasm, that others have strong opinions as well... that will be in conflict with our own.

I once owned a M4. I don't anymore because there were aspects of the gun I did not like.
At first, my ego, which was in conflict with my logic would not allow me to think, that for me, I made a mistake and the M4 was not "the best combat shotgun in the world". Ultimately, I found that, again for me, the Benelli M2T was more suitable for my needs. Do I feel like a weak sister for not owning Benelli's "top of the line"... no, because for me, I actually know better.

Did I want to argue with Amsdorf when he first posted this 2 days ago... Yes. I actually had something written and was ready to press the button... then I stood back for a few minutes, and the need to play the game was not as intense.

I guess where I'm going here is that we all have preferences, some based on reality, some on a fantasy and some, sadly, based on the perceptions of others. If Amsdorf enjoys his M4 (and it's quite apparent that he does), then more power to him.
Should he consider the opinions and perceptions of others when posting? Maybe. Should we all overlook an individuals enthusiasm for a particular firearm... even if it borders on being abrasive? Mmmmm... I guess that's for the reader to decide.

Enjoy your firearms. Try to be thoughtful of others when you post. If someone pisses you off... maybe it's better to walk away than to encourage an argument.
Sure, I'll be the first to admit, it can be entertaining when people go after each other... but it usually accomplishes nothing other than to add more names to your "ignore list", and make us all look like fools to those on the outside looking in.

Cheers to one and all,
C
Old July 28, 2012, 03:19 PM   #25
darkgael

Yep.

Creeper: Very pleasant reading.

Mr. Amsdorf:
Quote:
So, if I put up a bird from the tower and need nine rounds to hit it...I can.
Yes, it's fun. It ain't, tho', skeet.