The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 20, 2012, 02:30 PM   #26
pgdion

Easy answer. yes it's been asked at least a few times before and my answer is still the same ...

Beretta 92FS

Love everything about this gun, dislike nothing (I only have 1 other gun that meets that criteria). I can be happy as long as I have at least this one gun.
Old January 20, 2012, 02:35 PM   #27
RedWhiteBlackYellow

I assumed that much, which is why i added my own twist to it. plus i didnt wonna take the time to look. I just asked it as soon as it came to me.
Old January 20, 2012, 02:36 PM   #28
RedWhiteBlackYellow

Oh, and that 2 legged crazies comment was funny as hell. Nice one.
Old January 20, 2012, 02:48 PM   #29
MLeake

Assuming we are talking handguns, and speaking theoretically, I'd probably go with my S&W M&P45c.

The shorter grip is slightly easier to conceal than the grip on the full-size. The compact will accept the full-size magazines, so I can carry 8+1 with a flush-fitting magazine on strong-side, and carry 10rd spares in the mag holder weak-side. (For that matter, I have some 14rd mags, but those are more for the vault in my truck; kind of awkward for carry on the body.)

My M&Ps feed anything I've tried. No stoppages with either one to date. And while I have not yet started reloading, there is an abundance of data for loading .45acp, and people I know who do reload say it's a very forgiving round for a new reloader.

With the large backstrap equipped, the M&P is a perfect fit for my hand, and points ridiculously well. (I have long hands; most people I know use the medium grip.)

The M&P is highly modular, so for those who want the ability to install (or remove) a thumb safety, or magazine disconnect safety, it's a good choice. I like mine without either the thumb or mag safeties, so that's how they are configured.

I like that it's made in America, too, by an American company with a fantastic reputation for both quality control and customer service.

While the .45acp would not be my first choice for defense from 4-legged critters, there are loads that would make it at least a not-too-inadequate choice. Frankly, I am normally not concerned with boar and bear; in my neck of the woods, I suppose mountain lions are a remote possibility, but a .45 will work just fine on those (assuming one sees the kitty in time). My main concern is with 2-legged critters, and the .45acp has a pretty good track record with those.

It's also not a terribly expensive gun to replace, should it get damaged, etc. Even with the additions I've made (Apex kits, Heinie Straight-8 sights), the pistol would cost less to replace than would most SIGs.

There is good aftermarket support for the gun, too. Holsters and sights are plentiful.

Luckily for me, I don't have to limit myself to just one.
Old January 20, 2012, 02:57 PM   #30
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Silly question but I will play. Not my favorite although shooting it is so much fun it should be illegal. My H&R 10 gauge shotgun. Goose to boogerman to grizzly bear to alligator to bison. Just how versatile can you get. A little hard on squirrels and rabbits but I can always use a snare to catch them.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 20, 2012, 03:02 PM   #31
RedWhiteBlackYellow

@mleake
Yes its just theoretically speaking, and no its about any gun. Just has to be one you have owned or still do.
Old January 20, 2012, 03:07 PM   #32
RedWhiteBlackYellow

@old grump
It's not a silly question. just think of it this way; if you had to sell everything to raise money for something you have to have (could be for anything.... whatever you can think of.) which gun is the one you'd hide for yourself.
Old January 20, 2012, 03:09 PM   #33
MLeake

Old Grump makes a good point about the shotgun. Not to mention, a rifle or shotgun are much better tools to have for a fight.

The reason I'd go with a handgun, if I could only have one, is that while long guns are more powerful, and shotguns are more versatile, they can't be carried in the majority of circumstances.

I'd rather have one I could have on my person most of the time, then one I'd have to go and fetch.

So I'm still happy we don't really have to choose one. I like having an AR, a 12ga, some other rifles, and a variety of handguns.
Old January 20, 2012, 03:31 PM   #34
RedWhiteBlackYellow

@mleake
Im not asking what you would specificly need one for. Im asking what you would absolutly have to keep. And i dont mean favorite either.... For example, it could be something you think is extremely ugly but you love how it feels in your hand like it was made just for you. Dont think so deep into it! Its just a conversation. no one is saying youre really going to have to give up all but one!
Old January 20, 2012, 03:46 PM   #35
MLeake

I understand that, but a statement without supporting rationale is not particularly useful.

If I had said, "My M&P45c" and left it at that, what good would it have been?
Old January 20, 2012, 03:49 PM   #36
surveyor

Quote:
Well, if I could have only one gun it would have to be something I enjoyed shooting, which was reliable, simple to maintain, easily available ammo and trouble-free to carry/conceal.
S&W 60 (prelock) 357 ladysmith a good choice..
but I'd hide more than that..
Old January 20, 2012, 03:59 PM   #37
RedWhiteBlackYellow

@mleake
Yes that does make a good point.
Old January 20, 2012, 04:06 PM   #38
RedWhiteBlackYellow

@surveyor
No!!!! Theyl come in the middle of the night and rip you away from your family and take everything youve got if you disobey!!!
.....just kidding of course!
Old January 20, 2012, 04:17 PM   #39
surveyor

oops i guess i grabbed the wife's gun by mistake..
(reaching for the ar-15)
but it served its purpose.. to get me back to a rifle..

Last edited by surveyor; January 20, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old January 20, 2012, 04:36 PM   #40
RedWhiteBlackYellow

@surveyor
Nice!
Old January 22, 2012, 02:21 AM   #41
freenokia

s&w 19 2.5in. Quite possibly the most versatile gun there is.
Old January 22, 2012, 11:17 PM   #42
mo84

If I had to keep just one it would have to be my mossberg 500 12 gage (my first gun) as I can pretty much do everything I like to do with that gun. I would REALLY HATE to give up my S&W 500 mag but I don't think I could give up skeet shooting just to keep it as my one and only. plus the mossberg is alot cheeper to shoot without having the hand load. What a horrible thought, having just one gun lol Probably wouldn't hurt as much if we could at least sell the rest of them I suppose
Old January 22, 2012, 11:41 PM   #43
Stevie-Ray

I've said it dozens of times. Colt Delta Elite.
Old January 23, 2012, 05:17 AM   #44
kozak6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackYellow
It's not a silly question. just think of it this way; if you had to sell everything to raise money for something you have to have (could be for anything.... whatever you can think of.) which gun is the one you'd hide for yourself.
Whoah, that's a different question entirely than the one originally stated.

Quote:
no one is saying youre really going to have to give up all but one!
Quote:
If you could only have one gun, what would it be?!
No, that appears to be exactly what you said earlier.

My new answer is my 12 gauge Ithaca Model 37, since the rest of my guns are readily replaceable or otherwise uninteresting enough not to repurchase.

Make up your mind which question you are asking.
Old January 23, 2012, 01:45 PM   #45
Isk

I actually like this question.

I would keep my Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Magnum. Versatile cartridge, small enough to take with me anywhere and fun to shoot.
Old January 24, 2012, 05:47 PM   #46
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Colt Combat Commander, blued, .45 Automatic.
Old January 25, 2012, 03:46 PM   #47
44 AMP
Staff

I hate these "if you could only have one" questions. If I could only have one, I wouldn't have the dozens I currently own....

Making it a gun you have owned, or currently own is an interesting twist, so I'll play this time.

If I could only keep one gun from my collections, it would be a tough call. For overall maximum utility, I'd have to choose my S&W Model 28 6" .357 mag. Powerful enough for hunting, versatile enough for small game (with .38s), quite adequate for defense (.357Mag, after all) and while on the large side for a handgun, not so big that it could not be carried, or concealed if needed.

On the other hand, I think the final gun I would just HAVE to keep, would be my Grandfather's Ithaca Flues model 12ga. Its been in the family for over 100 years, and still works the way it did when he first bought it in 1909. Works for hunting and home defense, just not very well for concealed carry.
Old January 27, 2012, 01:15 AM   #48
got ammo?

Hmmm if only one, It would have to be my Browning Invector 12 gauge. I believe it is the best gun for for most circumstances I can hope not to ever be in...including having to posses only one gun!
Old January 27, 2012, 01:30 AM   #49
nate45

Just one gun? Then I'll only need one bullet. Wait, I think I've used that line before.

Seriously, though I always say the same thing in answer to the one gun question.

12 ga shotgun with screw in chokes and preferably more than one barrel, if thats allowed in your scenario. The extra barrels would be a rifled slug barrel with a scope and an 18 inch defense barrel.

I think in reality I could get by with the above 12 ga, one hi-powered rifle, one .22 rifle and one handgun, but I still wouldn't like it.
Old January 27, 2012, 03:46 PM   #50
KMAX

Browning Hi Power! No wait maybe its....
The BHP was the sweetest shooter and classiest looking I think I ever owned. The 6" S&W 586 comes close.

Tags
die , favorite , firearm , owning , you'll