The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 29, 2010, 03:35 PM   #1
gaseousclay

speaking of O/U's....

are they generally only used for trap-shooting or do a lot of hunters also use them to hunt with? I know this may sound like a dumb question but i've been lead to believe that most people use them for trap. I'm guessing this is false?
Old December 29, 2010, 03:38 PM   #2
BILLtheDJguy

I've duck hunted with an over/under. It adds much more sport than a semi-auto.
Old December 29, 2010, 04:05 PM   #3
zippy13

The serious trap shooter uses a single barrel gun for Singles (16-yard) and Handicap Trap. For Trap Doubles, and International Trap (where you get a second shot if you miss the first) O/Us are used. An O/U is also the gun of choice in the other clay target games where a smooth swing and a quick second shot are required. The same applies to field shooting, the O/U or SxS is the most reliable repeater. Pumps and autos are know to jamb. With a double barreled gun, since the shells are already in the tubes, there isn't a chance of a jamb. Of course, just like a stick gun, they can have trigger failures.
Old December 29, 2010, 05:53 PM   #4
dalecooper51

Aside from the ability to have more then one choke, another other nice thing about hunting with a double gun (SxS or O/U) is being able to easily unload it when required.

Just like autos, many companies make both lighter field and heavier target guns.
Old December 29, 2010, 06:04 PM   #5
BigJimP

O/U's are my primary gun for Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays and for bird hunting .... Quail ...Pheasant ...and even waterfowl ...

I use a different gun for "Trap" ...and while I have break open single barrel trap guns, like the Browning BT-99 or the older BT-100, I prefer the weight and balance of an O/U for Trap - like the Browning Citori XT Trap with 32" barrels.

I like my O/U's in the field / hunting birds ...mostly because I shoot them all the time - like the weight, balance, feel on follow thru - and I use all 30" barrels on my field hunting ....

I have pump guns and semi-autos as well ....but I'm often as sucessful with 2 shells as I am with 3 .... Maybe because I know I only have 2 shells ...I don't slap that first round out there ...without making sure my feet are set, my mount is ok ....and I can execute the shot ....so I don't see the O/U as having much of a downside in the field.

So no, they are not only for Trap ....( in my opinion ) .../ although I do like the longer and heavier gun for Trap (32", around 10lbs ) vs everything else ...
30" barrels and around 7 1/2 - 8 1/2 lbs /because Trap has less barrel movement left to right vs real hunting, etc ....
Old December 29, 2010, 06:10 PM   #6
oneounceload

MANY hunters, clay shooters and others use O/U's. While SxS's are the "classic", their recoil is lateral versus more straight back from the O/U, and the sighting plane between the two is vastly different. As mentioned, an O/U doesn't need a plug. is easy to determine if it is safe (broken open), and allows you the ability to utilize two different chokes
Old December 29, 2010, 06:14 PM   #7
Bailey Boat

My "go to" battery for bird hunting are all OU's in all 4 gauges. The 12 and 20 have their obvious uses and the 28 and 410 get to go out for doves, quail and Pidgeons around grain silos.... Then I have "target" OU's specifically for skeet, trap and sporting clays. Their what I like and shoot the best, never felt handicapped with "just" 2 shots......
Old December 29, 2010, 07:07 PM   #8
mete

Sporting clays was designed as practice for hunting .It makes good sense ,if you hunt, to shoot clays with your hunting gun ! Besdides a fine O/U makes a fine hunting gun though I don't use mine in bad weather.
Old December 29, 2010, 10:23 PM   #9
Jeremiah/Az

I use O/U for hunting & clays. Another advantage of the O/U besides 2 chokes is you are not chasing hulls.
Old December 30, 2010, 12:14 AM   #10
RoscoeC

I use a O/U for clay sports and a semi auto for hunting. Just my preference. Certainly an O/U would work admirably, but my O/U's are pretty nice, and I don't feel comfortable taking them to the field and smacking them around and dropping them in the mud. I bought a synthetic semi auto just for this purpose. Your money, your choice, but this is what works for me.
NRA Life Member
Old December 31, 2010, 07:55 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Pop killed an awful lot of game with an old Savage O/U he bought around 1942, then an SKB in 20g when the Savage was stolen. Recently I found a similar SKB and brought it home. Did great on a dove hunt and I've popped a few squirrels with it.

I have used my Beretta clays O/U on dove and it does well. But, at 8 pounds plus a little, it's better where I do not have to tote it much.