The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 2, 2010, 03:45 PM   #1
defjon

Recommend me a shotgun?

Hi all,

Well I'm not new here. I have a lot of training and experience with rifles and handguns, but I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to shotguns. Shot some trap with my grandpa as a boy, shot for fun with my former mother in laws boyfriend some slugs and buckshot out in the country, etc etc..couldn't tell you what make or model I was using.

I'm on a pretty tight budget, but I am mostly looking for SOLID, end 'o the world type dependablity. Thinking probably a PUMP type shot gun, but...I would be open to other suggestions, single shot, double barrel, etc. Just needs to fit my (small) budget, and the other item which would be very reliable and last the rest of my life.

I don't know if I'll take up trap, there are lots of places to shoot trap around here unlike rifle or pistol ranges so that might be a good way to keep up my shooting.

I don't care about looks of the weapon. It'll probably be used mainly for HD, possible hunting, possible trap..

Is this one any good?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/91401

Certainly good on the budget aspect.
Old January 2, 2010, 03:51 PM   #2
oneounceload

Not for trap, you only need a front bead sight for clay targets, and you'll want a barrel longer than 18.5". That set up is fine for HD, not targets. If you want it to do double duty, then look at the Mossberg 500 or Remngton 870 with two barrels. Used would fit your budget and get you something that is not only American-made, but has tons of parts and after market accessories.
Old January 2, 2010, 04:04 PM   #3
mjsmith1223

That one looks OK. Might be kind of weird to shoot trap (or any clay game) with rifle type sights though. Just a plain jane Remington 870 Express or Mossberg 500 would do the job and not break the bank. They also would have the advantage of interchangeable barrels being available. To start out with you could buy one with a 26-28" field barrel with interchangeable chokes for clay shooting and hunting. Then later, as funds allow, add a rifled barrel for hunting larger game with slugs and a shorter HD barrel for all of your defense needs.
Old January 2, 2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Beads on some of my guns, ghost ring and bead on another rifle sights on another and a scope on my turkey gun. The rifle sights and the scope guns win hands down but I don't shoot skeet or trap. Squirrel, rabbit, deer, and home defense are the uses for those two guns, one a pump the other a semi auto. The only criticism I have of the gun you are looking at is the raised sights, they are grabbers. Branches, clothing, curtains, furniture, anything that can be hooked will eventually get hooked by that tall front sight. If you can avoid that little pitfall get it and enjoy. I suppose you are wondering how I know about the hooking thing, well I aint telling and I don't have that sight anymore. Replaced it with a small post and an aperture sight, so much better.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 2, 2010, 04:46 PM   #5
dalecooper51

I agree with 1oz, go for a combo deal pump gun.

It is out of stock at bud's, but this mossberg combo would do you well. They have them just about anywhere that sells guns. If you can find a used one, then I would get one with the longer barrel and add the shorter barrel later as they are cheaper.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/46907

I don't know whether it will last the rest of your life, but by the time you wear it out you will have gone through so much ammo that the cost of the gun would insignificant.
Old January 2, 2010, 05:16 PM   #6
AZwarts

that rifle sight is for a deer gun. those are rifled slug barrels.
Old January 2, 2010, 05:37 PM   #7
the rifleer

I highly recommend a mossberg 500. you can buy them used for less than 200. new they are about $250-300, depending on the model and where you buy it.

they are fantastic shotguns that are exceedingly reliable and are used by law enforcement and the military. its has the end-of-the world reliability and ruggedness you are looking for.

you might also look into a Remington 870, but those are a little more expensive. If you can find a used on go for it. i shot a 870 and honestly didnt like it as much as my mossberg, but get either one that suits you best.
Old January 2, 2010, 11:12 PM   #8
gedenke

My $.02: NOT A FLAME POST!!!

I'm in the same boat as the OP...new to shoties, on a budget, etc. I handled both the 870 Express and the Moss. 500 today, side by side. I understand that they are both good and probably the most popular guns around.

Here's my take: Please note that I'm not bashing either, and I'm not an expert!

I was surprised to find the fit and finish of the Remy. lacking. The stock to receiver joint had a serious ledge on it. This may not bother some, but for me, it would drive me nuts and I'd probably sand it down and refinish the stock. With the price tag a little higher than the Moss, I expected better. While a tad heavier, the steel receiver was a good point. (the 500 had an aluminum one)

The Mossberg to me felt a little better. I liked the position of the safety and the slide release better than that of the Remy., but that's personal preference. Also, as mentioned before, the fit and finish seemed a little better. I also liked that the 500 had two sight beads. Plus, the price was $270 and came w/ three choke tubes. Haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards the 500.

p.s. Mine will be used for turkey hunting, HD, maybe some clays, maybe an occasional 3-gun. All-purpose in other words!

Last edited by gedenke; January 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old January 2, 2010, 11:55 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I was surprised to find the fit and finish of the Remy. lacking. The stock to receiver joint had a serious ledge on it
Not your Grandfathers Remington. Remington is now owned by an investment company. I have not touched a new production Remington I would buy. The steel receiver is a back and forth for me. The lighter Mossberg sure is nice the 99+% of the time I am not firing it. Everyone says the ergonomics are personal preference, and they are, but I have not run across anyone who didn't learn on a Remington that thought the Mossbergs weren't better. You have anyone unacquainted with shotguns pick up both and they are going to say the Mossberg is better.

I just had a thread on this that had a lot o responses and good information:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390178
Heck, I think it should be a sticky.
Old January 3, 2010, 12:32 AM   #10
the rifleer

just to kinda touch on the 500 having an aluminum receiver.

the bolt locks shut into the barrel, so the receiver has very little stress put on it. i have NEVER heard of a case where the aluminum receiver was a problem. its very well thought out and well designed, so like i said, it is not at all a problem. plus its lighter and doesn't rust.
Old January 3, 2010, 02:03 AM   #11
Lee Lapin

That's a Hawk 982, a Chinese made 870 clone. I bought one a few weeks ago to see just how good they are for myself, after hearing arguments about them for years. So far it's doing just fine, but it will be about 40 years before I can offer a report on their long term reliability 8^) compared to 870s. I haven't swapped a lot of parts out yet yet but I'd bet most Remington spares could be made to work in the Hawks. As with the 870, the magazine tube is a factory level replacement- it's no more fragile than any other design, but if it gets whanged hard enough to dent it, it may be a problem to get replaced if it needs it. There's a mandrel that's made to lift dents in 870 mag tubes, but that won't be a fix in really bad situations.

The 982 won't do you much good for trap, with its short cylinder bore barrel and sights. For fun range blasting or hand-thrown clays just for practice, it'd be OK. For defensive use or big game hunting, ditto.

In short, IMHO, you could probably do worse for your money. It just depends on what you want. If you really mean formal trap when you say 'shoot trap,' I'd look for a good used 870 and pick up a spare barrel to fit whatever need the barrel that came on it didn't fit, either short (for HD) or long (for trap). Right now extra barrels for the Hawks are pretty much not available, and for the similar H&R/NEF Pardner Pumps they're hard to find. That's not a problem with 870s.

JMHO, YMMV-

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 3, 2010, 02:24 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would personally steer well clear of any "generic" or "clone" imports...
If you like the location of the safety tab and action release on the Mossberg, I would suggest you get it... If you prefer the Remington and it's controls I reckon it would be the better choice.
The Mossberg will cost less. either will last a lifetime. I never seen a wore slap out Mossberg 500 or Remington.
Brent
Old January 3, 2010, 01:49 PM   #13
gedenke

Quote:
I never seen a wore slap out Mossberg 500 or Remington
LMFAO!!!
Old January 3, 2010, 02:51 PM   #14
MagnumWill

Again, for my $.02 on the aluminum receiver on the 500's. Here's a pic for the 590 with the aluminum receiver. Look at the hell it's been through, that's more than I'm gonna beat mine up, for sure...

The receiver really acts as a bolt guide and a dust cover. The barrel lockup is what counts, and it's steel-steel. Plus, the Mossberg has dual extractors, I don't know if the Remington does, but I would be happy with either. I'm just more happy with my 590A1
Old January 3, 2010, 05:17 PM   #15
oneounceload

Quote:
The stock to receiver joint had a serious ledge on it
On your better guns, that is a big plus. The stock is what is called "proud", and it allows for a refinishing or two of the stock after years of use.
Old January 3, 2010, 05:32 PM   #16
ww2freak27

I have used the winchester 1300. It is a very reliable gun and I find it to be very accurate. There are quite a few out there too so they are not extremely expensive. When I bought mine, they went for about $250-$350. Hope that helps
Old January 10, 2010, 12:05 AM   #17
jlv08

The Norinco is a tough shotgun and I have a version of it in the form of a Pardner pump.

They are tough,they work, and it will out last you.

I would love to find one here but they get scarfed up as soon as they hit the stores in the configuration like the one you mentioned. Folks like 'em.

Nice, overbuilt shotgun and it's all business.

The admonition to steer clear of these shotguns is a bit erroneous and not based on objective experience.

I have experience with the Norinco shotguns and MAX100 has sold them for a good while.

Get what you want but do check out the Norinco, They are solid made shotguns and I base that opinion on my unbiased ,objective ,experience with these guns in the form of a Pardner Pump and previously owned 982 that is still shucking shells to this day that I foolishly GAVE to a good friend of mine several years ago..

Last edited by jlv08; January 10, 2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: more info
Old January 10, 2010, 12:10 AM   #18
WVfishguy

Got me a Pardner for about $160, suits my needs just fine. Supports the Commies, though.
Old January 10, 2010, 01:03 AM   #19
grubbylabs

Not sure just how small your budget is but look into the Banelli Nova and a Stoger, I like my Nova it goes bang every time and seems to stand up to what I do with it. Yesterday I cleaned it for the first time in I don't know how long and that was just because the pump was getting a little stiff in our -3 or 4 degree morning. Lots of user freindly features with the gun and they are solid. Plus with the recoil reducer you can bang 3 1/2 shells all day if you ever want to duck or goose hunt. I go through about a box of 3 1/2 each year but I can't notice a difference in them over the 3 I regularly shoot and your 2 3/4 feel really good going through the gun.
Old January 10, 2010, 01:32 AM   #20
5RWill

I agree with Oneounceload can't go wrong with a 870. Hell i shoot skeet with a 870 all the time. It's a phenominal shotgun and has never failed me. Now that being said remington has changed since the old days and new guns take breaking in. Where mine has been around for over 20 years with my dad.
Old January 10, 2010, 10:33 AM   #21
jlv08

An older Wingmaster or Express would be a good choice if you beat the thickets and find one. They aren't that hard to find.

They will cost you more than the Norinco and the question originally asked was if the Interstate version Hawk 982 was ok.

I will say that it's as I described in my previous post.

The paradigm would be a Wingmaster or older 870 police models.

I do not have the confidence in the newer offerings that Remimgton produces as quality is connected to price with respect to what they produce today.

It's not just shotguns that Big Green is lacking regarding quality.

There is a recall on their 597 in .17 hmr. It is a total gun buy back.

The Hawk/Interstate is SKS tough and hard to beat for the price and makes a viable alternative at a great price.
Old January 12, 2010, 01:24 PM   #22
wiltray4000

wiltray4000

Recently I wanted to buy a not too expensive automatic shotgun in a 20 ga. The local Academy store had a clearance on the Tristar Viper in 12 and 20 ga. for $369.00. Out the door with .0825 tax was $399.something. These are apparently modeled after Italian shotguns and are of excellent quality. I don't know where you live, but go on line to Academy and see if one can be purchased if you are interested.
Old January 20, 2010, 10:14 PM   #23
Horntord

Question Please

I have used a semi-auto for years I mean years and a few years back was giving a pump gum for a birthday. I know a lot of people wouldn't say this but I know for myself its hard to used the pump gum after using a S-Auto for so long, and I havn't used this pump gum but maybe 3 times. For me theres no work or thinking about anything with a Auto but what goes out the front end.
By the way What does HD mean?
Old January 21, 2010, 06:17 PM   #24
foghorn leghorn

I would buy that just to use as a home invasion weapon, or to loan out to a family member during trying times.
Definitely a slugger, I have a model 37 with the deerslayer barrel and pistolgrip for just that occasion. This one looks like a good use of 185 bucks.
Old January 22, 2010, 12:20 AM   #25
gedenke

Quote:
By the way What does HD mean?
Home Defense.