The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 3, 2009, 12:12 AM   #1
1shot2kills

target systems

i have a quick question bout practicing both target and "tactical" training. i quote the tactical more because im not an officer or anything just ur average joe who really likes guns and wants to be prepared for when i need to pull my m&p .40 in an emergency.

i was looking at cabellas.com and found this target system; http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...043&hasJS=true
i kinda like it because of the fact my local range is more of a dirt lot than an indoor firing range, all u really need is a dirt floor to set it up, how ever the stand looks kinda weak and seeing as we get alot of wind out here that worries me. any body have any experience with this particular system? or do they have a target system they like better?

also the reason i like that system is because its cheap enough where i can easily afford to buy say three of em. set em up at three different locations / distances and use it to practice with target acquisition. is this a good thing to do or am i over thinking? been know to do that a few times, i got my dry reloading down pretty well havent had it out on the range yet but at least i know i can get my mag in and the slide release done in a decent amount of time and reliably. wow this is insanely long so im a cut it off right here. thanks for the responses in advance
Old November 3, 2009, 12:55 AM   #2
kraigwy

Wouldnt it be cheaper to by a thin piece of 1/4 - 1/2 inch plywood, cut to fit the size you want, then buy a stock of paper targets the suit your fancy.

Buy some cheap 2x4 studs, rip lenght wise, to make your target stands.

I found you can make your own cheaper and better out of a cheap grade of plywood and studs.

My pistol stands consist of a 3 foot piece of scrap angle iron, welded to the side of an old wheel. You can drill holes in the angle iron, then using screws through the holes to fasten one side of the plywood. Cheap since they are made of scap. And Portable.

Every bit as good as the store bought stuff and much cheaper.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 3, 2009, 01:56 AM   #3
1shot2kills

u know... that really doesn't sound like a bad idea. i also do welding! lol could probably go to the local scrapper and pick up some angle iron and some 3/16 inch steel pieces and four wheels i just took off my truck . sweet its been a while since ive welded hahaaa . if nothing else i can cut the angle iron to a point and use the same stick it in the dirt idea for portability now for the paper attachment ahhhh scotch tape ok well we got this figured out. thanks for the idea man ::high five::: hahaa jk thats kinda creepy the high five thing i meant... any how thanks again my welder thanks u also
Old November 5, 2009, 11:07 AM   #4
serf 'rett

I don't think the Cabela's stand will work well in a breeze. A quick internet search will give you many patterns for stands of different materials. You may need to make the stand to match the type of targets you normally use. I saw a simple PVC stand for IDPA type targets here:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu24.htm
Personally, I use smaller targets on 11”x17” paper which I staple to cardboard boxes I pick up a work. Vary the target heights by stacking the boxes. Stabilize the boxes by adding weight – dirt clods, chunk of wood, etc. When the center section of a box is more hole than paper, I pick up a new box. A problem with a plywood backboard is it will need to be replaced frequently if you shoot often, which adds cost unless you have a source for free plywood. A cardboard backstop can be easily be found for “free” with a little scouting of local businesses – furniture and appliance stores often have large cardboard boxes which can be converted into targets with a utility knife or box cutter.
Old November 5, 2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

If you weld, you have it covered. You can use short rectangular steel tubing sections in the frame that will hold 1X2" furring strips (cheap, easily replaceable if shot in half, available at any lumber store) as uprights, and staple the targets to the wood uprights (buy a few cardboard IPSC targets first to see how far apart to set the uprights).

See the pics at http://www.tuffsteel.com/ , http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=%23ECNO , http://gttargets.com/paperstands.htm etc and come up with some ideas of your own for stands.

hth,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old November 10, 2009, 11:10 PM   #6
1shot2kills

awesome im going to get my piece of paper and a good pencil and draw some stuff up! i talked to my aunt and shes all yup you can set up a range here if you want you find a corner you set it up and its yours

hells yeah im excited im gonna use the box idea for some of my targets. i work at a company who makes salad dressings so i have access to all different sizes and shapes of boxes and bulk storage crates. im also going to see if i can some how get a pallet of finished product too, so me and a couple coworkers can blow the hell out of it we just think it would be awesome like a therapy session for work

im gonna use the angle iron and steel plate target frames but the slim sides will be facing the shooter and sharpened so the rounds will be cut up or stopped before they ricochet and put an eye out. and still stickin with the scotch tape paper attachment cheap enough i can get it from work too

also i have a pistol training cube on order too... looks like some good trainage.http://www.justshootmeproducts.com/i...PROD&ProdID=45

ill take pictures and put them up in here when i get it set up so you guys can tell me what you think

Last edited by 1shot2kills; November 10, 2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: retarded spellin problems :D