The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 2, 2009, 04:12 PM   #1
rc_gilmore

200 gr lswc 45 ACP with alliant 2400

I'm looking for a recipe for 200gr. Lead Semi-Wad Cutters in a 45 ACP with Alliant 2400 powder . I am willing to experiment but I'm just looking for a baseline. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by rc_gilmore; July 2, 2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention what kind of powder
Old July 2, 2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Archie

2400?

Not many loading manuals have data for 2400 powder use in .45 ACP. It is usually considered too slow to operate a semi-auto pistol reliably. Additionally, slower powders are indicated for heavier (comparitively for caliber) bullets and 200 grains is on the lighter end for .45 ACP. It shouldn't be dangerous, but the recoil impulse is slower than commonly used powders and the slide will probably not cycle reliably.

In a revolver it would probably work and do fairly well. But I still don't have any data for it.

Sorry I can't help, and I'm not really trying to rain on your parade.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old July 2, 2009, 04:34 PM   #3
rc_gilmore

Yeah I'm having a really hard time finding anything on it. However, I've been using it in my .44 Desert Eagle for a while and that thing is extremely difficult to cycle so I figured I'd just see how well it would work in my 45. Mostly due to the fact that I reload in large quantities and it measures really well in my auto measure. I've always used Unique for my 45 loads and my auto measure absolutely refuses to comply with that powder. thanks for the reply.
Old July 2, 2009, 05:12 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

Yeah, I don't think you'll find 2400 data for .45ACP.

I like Unique, but if it does not meter well for you then you might consider WW231, or I think Universal is fine grained and similar speed as Unique. I used WW231 at 5.1 gr for .45 for many years but then switched to Unique to fill the case a little more and simplify my powder collection. Unique crunches a bit in the powder measure but the RCBS measure is very consistent throwing it. Even works well in my Lee Pro Auto Disk (fixed cavity) measure.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old July 2, 2009, 06:15 PM   #5
rc_gilmore

thanks pilgrim
Old July 2, 2009, 07:47 PM   #6
SL1

QuickLOAD

says that a case full of 2400 (to base of bullet with no compression) would produce 20,000 psi under a Lee 200 grain lead SWC and 1100 fps from a 5" barrel. I would assume that the Lee bullet was cast harder than a swaged lead bullet.

Trying a Hornady soft swaged lead SWC gave about the same pressure and velocity.

Take that with several grains of salt (since we all know how little a grain really is). Work-up to a full case if you try this, because QuickLOAD is not necesarily accurate without some tuning to a particular gun. Also, I expect that 2400 would burn pretty dirty at 20,000 psi.

SL1
Old July 2, 2009, 10:42 PM   #7
rc_gilmore

thanks SL1

Tags
200 gr swc , 2400 , 2400 recipes , 45acp , reloading help