The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2009, 05:58 PM   #1
Demaiter

Shot my first reloads today.

I was shooting my .30-06 Browning Abolt stainless stalker - 22inch barrel @100 yards today with my first handloads.

With my first load I was shooting

168 grain CT ballistic tips
52.0 grains IMR 4350
Federal 210 primers
Rem .30-06 (Neck sized only from old factory ammo
Accuracy was the best I've every shot - 5 shots into just under 0.790 measuring from the edge of the hole in the cardboard to the the farthest hole's edge of the cardboard.

I increased loads to 53.0/54.0/55.0 grains and accuracy was nothing special - about 1.5-2" groups - they groups opened up big time

I shot a 5 shot group using 56.0 grains and accuracy was 1.25" groups

So far I've seen no pressure signs and I just finished loading up 5 rounds @ 57.0 grains so I'm going to test them tomorrow.

If accuracy isn't very good I think I can stick with the 52.0 grains as I'm thinking they're running about 2550 fps which will do just fine with the 200 yard max deer hunting I do. My chrony that I used back in the day for paintball was out of battery's and no stores are open on Canada Day here so I forged on ahead saying... whatever I'm only going to want to chrony the accurate loads and I can find them out today.
Old July 1, 2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Sevens

First ever reloads and
Quote:
5 shots into just under 0.790
I'd say that's a big damn thumbs-up!
Old July 2, 2009, 05:27 AM   #3
ac700wildcat

Glad you got that good of a group with your first reloads. I would like to say that I think you are taking too big of steps as you are increasing your powder charge. Half a grain at a time is the biggest jump I'll ever make when loading fairly high capacity rifle rounds, and I would take smaller steps in something like a 22-250 with a smaller case capacity. Not only could be jumping a whole grain at a time be dangerous, but you could be missing out on a load that shoots well somewhere between the steps you are taking. Sometimes, even a tenth of a grain can make a big difference.
Old July 2, 2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Demaiter

you know what - I was thinking the same thing. I'll try the .5's in between and I'll load up some at 56.5 and shoot them before I go to the 57.0 listed as max.
Old July 2, 2009, 01:07 PM   #5
rwilson452

30-06

I would repeat the 52 grain load just to see if it is repeatable. Then work up in .5 grain steps. Once you find the best spot vary by .2 gr. After that mess with the COAL. sounds like you might have a real shooter there. .790 edge to edge works out to be just under .5 MOA. That's good for a hunting rifle.

.790 - .308 =.482 center to center.
Old July 2, 2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Krieger9

Congratulations

Just as someone who is still sitting on their first reloads waiting. I envy you.

Congrats.
Old July 2, 2009, 03:40 PM   #7
James R. Burke

Nice job! Sounds like the lower charge worked the best for you. Like everyone is saying try it again and work up in smaller amounts. Then go with your best group. I dont know if you have your c.o.l. figured out yet. But if you dont, find it and start back at the min. That will make a big differnce. You are shooting really good groups. I am using the same powder with 56.3 grains, and a 165 grain Nosler partition. That works the best for my rifle so dont try it in yours till you work up to it watching for signs of two much presure. I assume you have a few good manuals. If you dont get the Lee, and I try to get one for the make of bullet I am using. Keep up the good work. Have fun, and keep it safe!
P.S. Use that crony they are a real big help.
Old July 2, 2009, 11:41 PM   #8
only1najeep

I remember the satisfaction of the first time shot ammunition I loaded my self. My dad helped me learn everything, so I think he was proud too.
NRA range safety officer
Old July 3, 2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Demaiter

well I took my chrono out without the plastic cover - that was a mistake - First shot was 2489 and I was thinking to myself - what a clear number that is - In paintball it always looked blurry - and then I relized the muzzle blast blew the thin layer of plastic off infront of the display... so I drove my tractor/trailer/shooting platform back to the house from the field to get the cover.

My loads at 56.5 grains averaged 2779 fps and my loads at 57.0 grains averaged 2832 fps. On the 57.0 load a I saw one piece of brass out of five with what looks like a ring around the base of the brass where the spring/rod is on my bolt that sends the brass flying out when you work the bolt.

I have no interest in going more than 57.0 grains, actually I want something around 2700 fps ideally.

The 52.0 gain load averages about 2490 fps and I have to load up some more again at this charge because last night I cleaned the barrel. The 5 shot group I shot I had 3 in a clover leaf and then another two down and below about 1 inch to the left and 1 inch low. I'm not sure if those where the fouling shots or not so I'm going to test again.

So far reloadings being a great experience and I've learned a lot just from doing it however I'm wanting to shoot a lot more now and well - I think I need to change bullets to a cheaper one lol - Sierra Gamekings are almost the same price per hundred that Nosler ballistic tips are per 50!