The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 5, 2009, 09:17 AM   #1
JAYBIRD78

CZ VZ24's at AIM surplus.....opinions

This would be my first C & R purchase. Does anyone have a informed opinion on these rifles?.......and the ones from AIM if all possible?

I am looking for a shooter first.
Ammo seems relatively common.
These are re-arsenaled by the russians per AIM.
Is $229 reasonable for this rifle?

I have seen others post that they would rather have a RC K98. I can see this as far as history/collecting.

Any opinions please.
Old April 5, 2009, 11:35 AM   #2
ISC

AIM is a good company to deal with and VZ 24s are good rifles. You can be confident that you'll get what you're paying for and if you aren't happy, they'll make it right it.

The Nazi's took over Czechoslovakia and confiscated their factories. Entire divisions of the whermacht were equipped with VZ 24s. Over the course of the war, as existing supplies of parts were used up, VZ 24s were updated to a configuration that was virtually identical to the K98 by the time production ended.

The things that I would look for in terms of collectibility, aside from general condition, would be the date of production and whether or not it has a crest.
Old April 9, 2009, 02:08 PM   #3
JAYBIRD78

Well....................

I had money burning in my pocket. I went ahead and purchased the CZ from AIM today. I also picked up some of their 8mm. I will have to do a report when I get the rifle to the range.

The description tells that the crest has been ground off. Oh well, I was looking for a shooter first.

If this goes well I may look into a K31 Swiss.
Old April 22, 2009, 06:08 AM   #4
JAYBIRD78

UPDATE

Well, I received my rifle yesterday evening. I was all grins when the brown truck showed up. My wife said I had "the look".

Crest is scrubbed, capture screws are gone , and the bolt is electropenciled.

This was a Russian re arsenal and over all I say it looks good for a old rife.

This is my first milsurp and I started to use a heat gun to get the exterior cosmoline off. I hope to have time this afternoon to do a strip down and continue with the process.

My surplus ammo showed up also in the spam cans, that first cut with the opener and WHOOOOOOSSSHHHH was way cool.
Old April 22, 2009, 07:47 AM   #5
jsmaye

I've been thinking about one of those myself. I've already got a M24/47 that needs a companion.

Out of curiosity, does your handguard match the stock? Did you get the front sight hood and cleaning rod?
Old April 22, 2009, 09:14 PM   #6
JAYBIRD78

The handguard does NOT match the stock. The handguard is darker in color on my rifle. I'm not sure how much this is an issue to you. The front sight hood IS there. Cleaning rod IS there. Capture screws were NOT. The crest is NOT there, you can't even tell there was one there originally. AIM got my rifle from R GUNS out of IL which is stamped on the right side of receiver. It was done light in my opinion and isn't TOO noticeable.

Do to other engagements I have only wiped down the exterior METAL parts with Hoppes #9 which seems to do a fine job on the cosmoline. I have seen other milsurps with cosmo on them and this seems to be a light coat. I have ran a few patches threw the barrel and letting it soak overnight tonight. The cosmo on the wood is going to wait until tomorrow night and friday. I hope to shoot it on Saturday morning.

I know this is a sickness but I am thinking of getting a Yugo 24/47 as a companion shooter. I hope to have a range review by Saturday night on this thread.
Old April 23, 2009, 01:15 AM   #7
ISC

the Nazis took over the Sudetenland in 1938 and then took the rest of Czechoslavakia in 1939. Any VZ 24s made after then wouldn't have a Czech crest.
Old April 23, 2009, 05:29 AM   #8
ksstargazer

The Czech VZ-24 action is probably the best mauser action ever made. Many custom gunmakers look for this action to build quality firearms. Mine is very smooth and the rifle relatively accurate.
Old April 23, 2009, 07:22 AM   #9
jsmaye

Quote:
The handguard does NOT match the stock. The handguard is darker in color on my rifle. I'm not sure how much this is an issue to you.
It's not - I've come to expect it of these captured/re-arsenaled Mausers.
Old April 23, 2009, 12:07 PM   #10
UniversalFrost

SOG has the VZ-24's for 139. I sold a numbers matching VZ-24 awhile back for 180. sounds like AIM is charging way too much for low end vz-24's

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 23, 2009, 01:48 PM   #11
jsmaye

SOG's website lists them for $160, but there are no photos or description.

Hopefully their website is a work in progress, because in its current state it is clumsy and uninformative.

Edit: oops - you said vz-24. I was thinking M24/27. I don't even see vz's on their site.
Old April 23, 2009, 04:31 PM   #12
UniversalFrost

here they are

https://www.southernohiogun.com/inde...8mm-cal-1.html

139.95 and i just called and they have them in stock (ordered 2 more handpicked). Plus these are prewar models with crests in tact and the guy I spoke with set aside 2 numbers matching models for me.

Next time look a little harder before commenting.

Old April 26, 2009, 07:16 AM   #13
JAYBIRD78

Went to the range

I seem to forget a camera every time I go to the range........sorry no picks.

I was a bit hesitant for the first shot but everything went without a hitch.
I was using surplus Romanian 150grn FMJ ammo and was sighting in at 50 yards. The rear sight leaf starts at 300 meters I believe and so I did have to aim about 6"-8" below my 8" shoot-n-see target to get "hits". After getting it sighted in, it was no problem hitting.

I found the rear sight lacking, the small V notch is poor compared to sights of today. However I did have some 1/2 gallon juice jugs with water set up at 185yards and did get one after two shots (my buddy sighted me in with my .308 Savage/scope).

All in all I am happy with my purchase. I would say if your looking for a shooter then pick one up for yourself.

Have fun and shoot safe.

***On a side note, my buddy does not shoot often. He commented on the shoulder kick with the mauser. I laughed and told him modern day rubber butt pads are nice eh? ***
Old May 7, 2009, 02:47 AM   #14
Hello123

what does it take to order from SOG. It is the same as with aim surplus, just credit card and ship to any ffl?
Old May 7, 2009, 03:27 AM   #15
jsmaye

Quote:
what does it take to order from SOG. It is the same as with aim surplus, just credit card and ship to any ffl?
I ordered a CZ-82 from them last month. They had my 03FFL on file already so all it took was my credit card number and the patience to wait nearly two weeks before they shipped it - supposedly the web site re-design put them behind schedule.
Old May 7, 2009, 01:31 PM   #16
UniversalFrost

you can call in the order as well.

the two vz-24's i ordered were done over the phone because they had misplaced my FFL and I faxed them a new copy and verified they had received it.

Plus the lady on the phone was about as helpful as a sack of potatoes and I go the impression that I was annoying her and she needed to get back to watching oprah. They need to get better folks on the customer service end of the business. They used to have top notch folks on the phone (usually the guys from the store room or a really nice lady that was very knowledgeable on C&R weapons).

Old May 7, 2009, 01:58 PM   #17
johnwilliamson062

maybe I am just dumb, but I cannot find any firearms on their site. Just ammo and accessories.
Old May 7, 2009, 02:14 PM   #18
saands

If you don't have an FFL on file with them, all you see is ammo/accessories ... I think that the dealers out there complained that their customers all knew the wholesale prices and wanted to pay $10 more than that ... I can see how that would happen. If you have any ffl on file, you get access to the rest of their site ... which does need some help anyway.

Saands
Old May 7, 2009, 02:16 PM   #19
johnwilliamson062

I will have to figure out what my login is after all...
Old May 7, 2009, 04:12 PM   #20
UniversalFrost

the old site was actually better than the new site.

also, I too had the problem of only seeing ammo and accessories even after I registered and input my FFL number. it took a few days for the system to realize i had an FFL I guess.

JOE

Old May 7, 2009, 04:41 PM   #21
snipecatcher

The new website is terrible and if you really want something, call in and make sure they have it in stock. You cannot trust the website, it is AT LEAST a week behind and probably more. I got my hopes up about a No. 4 Mk I and they were sold out.
-Dan
Old May 8, 2009, 07:53 AM   #22
jsmaye

Quote:
If you don't have an FFL on file with them, all you see is ammo/accessories ... I think that the dealers out there complained that their customers all knew the wholesale prices and wanted to pay $10 more than that
Their old website hid the prices unless you had an FFL on file.

I'm hoping that their new website is a work-in-progress - most items have no photos and no descriptions or ratings (G, VG, Exc, etc.).

I ordered some ammo from them the day their old sight went off-line. I got it within the normal 4-5 days. I ordered a vz-82 from their new site. The order was "pending" for two weeks. Then the order showed "canceled" . I called and they said the new web site had them backed up and that the order showed canceled because it had moved from "pending" to "processing". Five days later the pistol showed up.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:36 AM   #23
BlueTrain

Would anyone be willing to say these Mausers are the best value in a rifle today, assuming you don't mind the sights? I think good Lee Enfields are getting scarce.
Buy War Bonds.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:57 AM   #24
johnwilliamson062

K31 s a better value. Cost less, shoots a great round, extremely accurate, and has the interesting straight pull bolt.
MN 91/30 is a better value.
Old May 8, 2009, 03:11 PM   #25
UniversalFrost

k31 is hard to beat for accuracy.

the vz-24 is second on the list. the ones I have been ordering are mostly going to get stripped and the actions used on custom builds. I did get a few nice numbers matching guns that will stay in my collection untouched.

the 91/30 are more of a minute of barn type of accuracy , but a cheap and fun gun to shoot.