The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 21, 2008, 12:32 PM   #1
The Gunny

Help...

How do I measure my length of pull? This may sound like a dumb question. I just got into skeet and trap shooting. I love it and can't get enough. I just invested in a new Weatherby Orion SSC. The stock comes a little longer than most so you can cut it to your personal length of pull. This seems like a great idea but I have no idea how to come up with what it should be. Is it just what feels comfortable? please help.
Old October 21, 2008, 01:20 PM   #2
BigJimP

Yes, it is what feels good - ut its also what lets your face / cheek rest on the comb of the gun properly - and what allows you to get a good feel and finger position on trigger.

All of the Weatherby's I've seen have traditional angled combs on them. If you change the length of pull by cutting the stock / changing the height of recoil pad - you change the point where your face rides on the comb so it will change he point of impact as you move forward on the comb. In general - as you hold the grip of the gun you want your face at least an inch away from your thumb. Any closer will cause you to bump your face with your thumb.

Before you cut or do anything to the stock / take it to your club and pattern the gun to see where the point of impact is / have a buddy help you - make sure your face is sufficiently behind your thumb as you grip and fire the gun. Look at point of impact is it high, low or right on / if it is on - I would not cut the stock or change it in any way. If its high or low / you will have to raise the comb to get POI higher / lower it to get POI lower / - or get face on gun as you mount it to be on a higher or lower portion to changoe POI on an angled comb. This is all a little tougher to do on an angled comb than on a paralell comb - where a change in length of pull does not change the sight picture or point of impact - so you need to go slowly on making adjustments.

Putting wood back on is tougher than taking it off / be sure before you cut - and shoot it awhile and pattern it over a couple of days before you cut - just to be sure. Try and get someone at your club to help you that really understands gun fit and relationship to Point of Impact. You can change recoil pads and probably get 1/4 - 1/2" of adjustment too.
Old October 21, 2008, 02:05 PM   #3
zippy13

Hi Gunny,

Congratulations on the acquisition of your new Orion, may it give you years of service and enjoyment. You seem to be in a position where you know the fit is wrong, but you're not sure just what to do next. It's good that you recognize there's a problem. You'd be surprised how many folks shoot a stock that doesn't fit. There are ads for used Orions that say "LOP still at 14 3/4-inches" -- the guy didn't correct the fit, perhaps for fear of diminishing the gun's re-sale value. So, now he's got it up for sale because it's no fun to shoot because it's too long.

Please, before you get out a saw, consult an experienced stock fitter. BigJimP's right about having someone help, but if your buddy isn't an experienced comp shooter, see a pro. Did the seller recommend anyone? To your question: the traditional length of pull (LOP) is a measurement (some say taken parallel to the bore) from the trigger to the butt. There are various rules-of-thumb that relate optimum LOP to various aspects of the shooter's arm dimensions.

For a custom gun the basic LOP isn't really as applicable a measurement as in the past. This is because the LOP dimension doesn't take into consideration the exact location of the pistol grip. You can have a perfect LOP to match your arms, but if the grip is positioned wrong, so will your trigger finger. Your gun has an adjustable trigger, so where did Weatherby measure the LOP? An experienced stock fitter will take this into consideration. Ask around at the club where you shoot trap and Skeet (T & S), someone will be able to refer you to a good stock fit man.

IMHO, shooting T & S with your Orion SSC, you'll quickly come to the conclusion that the stock is way too low. Serious T & S shooters don't shoot high, straight stocks to be elitist snobs, they do it because they can break more targets that way. The Orion SSC is a very nice gun, but it's stock is marketed to the field shooter who's getting into clays. If you are serious about doing your best at T & S, you might consider adding an adjustable cheek piece in conjunction with you LOP adjustment.

Good luck,
Head down, and follow through...
They're not hard to hit, but they're easy to miss.
Old October 22, 2008, 10:08 AM   #4
The Gunny

Thanks

Thanks for all the detailed suggestions I really appreciate it. luckily I work at an indoor pistol range, and will check pattering one evening after hours. There are a couple of resident experts at the Oceana Skeet and Trap club where I shoot and I will solicit their help. Thanks again.
Old October 22, 2008, 11:00 AM   #5
SDC

The `quick and easy`way of determining length of pull is to rest the butt in the crook of your arm, and then seeing how far up your trigger finger is able to go to reach the trigger; ideally, you should be just able to reach the trigger with the pad of your trigger-finger.
Old October 23, 2008, 09:14 PM   #6
jrothWA

Hi Gunny,

Use a tape measure hook the end on the center of trigger and go to the center of the butt. Measire any other gun that you shoot comfortably and compared the measurements.

You can also try using a drywall T-square the "tee" goes across the depth of the butt and the long measuring bar should again go across the center of teh trigger.