The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 7, 2008, 11:23 AM   #1
Beretta686

Kinkov SBRs?

I was just about to order a 7.62 upper for my SBR AR-15 when I happened to see a Krink AK on TV and though "Damn! That's kewl!". And when you factor in the price of the wizz-bang upper I wanted, combined with the issues of a 7.62 upper in the AR platform, I though I'd look into a Krink.

So I started checking around, figuring they'd be just a little more than a regular AK but when I searched gunbroker they were all about $1200! I thought about getting a Pistol and making it an SBR on a Form 1, but than I couldn't put an under-folder stock on it, which is what I really want.

So I have a few questions:
1. What gives with the price being so much, compared to a regular AK?

2. Is there anywhere cheaper to get one ($600-800 range)?

3. Has anyone here actually played with one? If so, opinions? Reliability, accuracy (for an AK), muzzle blast, etc, etc?

Of course, this like all my NFA toys is going to be a range toy just to put a smile on my face, so I'm not concerned with it's "tactical" utility. Thanks!

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old March 8, 2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Legion2600

I have one on transfer from Vector. I got one when they first announced they were gonna build them. I got a pretty good deal. They may still have a few. I think they are asking 995.00. The under folders were based on the Yugo kits that were brought over a few years ago. These kits are sweet and were brand spanking new. Very obvious these Krinks were made and just sat around in an armory until somebody decided they could get some money from them if they just hacked up the receiver and sold the parts. The kit I have still has the factory wrapper around the forestock. Makes you wanna cry.
Old March 10, 2008, 07:56 PM   #3
douglasschuckert

Why dont you build one from a parts kit? You can order the neccessary lower with the proper trunion holes already cut/drilled.

Purchase a Yugo parts kit and order the correct receiver to match the kit. AGI has a video instruction thingy on how to do it and build it right. Its pretty straight forward. I have a friend that built an AK from a parts kit. His name is SubGunFan on UziTalk.Com.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old March 10, 2008, 08:09 PM   #4
.351winchester

"I thought about getting a Pistol and making it an SBR on a Form 1, but than I couldn't put an under-folder stock on it, which is what I really want."

Question from a non-NFA guy. If you buy a pistol(AR, AK), and add a stock, why can't that be a $5 (and Michigan available) 'stocked pistol' AOW?
Old March 10, 2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Stocked pistols become short-barelled rifles. The fee is $200. Besides, the fee to make an AOW is $200. The AK pistols don't have provisions for folding stocks.
Old March 10, 2008, 09:57 PM   #6
.351winchester

Are you serious? I thought AOW's were a $5. transfer. Damn it. Guess I'll never see a semi 5.45 Krink.
I thought this might be a way around an SBR/SBS state restriction, made sense to me. Any machining or drilling or whatever to add the stock after the fact included. So you get one of those Ace stocks for a Glock and that's considered an SBR?
Old March 10, 2008, 10:15 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

AOWs are a $5 transfer. Making them is a $200 tax.
Old March 11, 2008, 07:53 AM   #8
VUPDblue

Quote:
So you get one of those Ace stocks for a Glock and that's considered an SBR?
That's correct. An SBR has, by definition, a stock and is designed to be fired from the shoulder. An AOW does not have to have a stock. In some cases, it does have a stock.
Old March 16, 2008, 07:50 PM   #9
brendon_corbitt

I have a krink in 5.45 built off of a bulgarian parts kit with a side folder stock and it is probably the most satisfying of my weapons to shoot, I'm completely in love with the thing. I like it way better than my AK-47. It fires smoothly and barely kicks at all. I can fold it and fire it one handed just fine, although I don't do that very often cause I obviously can't hit jack when I do that. Sadly I still at this point have the fake suppressor on it which looks kind of funny, but I'm looking into making an SBR out of it as soon as I figure out if the person that built it attached the fake suppressor in a way that allows it to be removed without damaging the barrel. I'm gonna be pissed if I have to sell it and buy a different one since I don't know of anyone in the immediate area that has the know-how to swap AK barrels.
Old March 26, 2008, 07:59 PM   #10
hotrodtba

For your viewing pleasure: