The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2007, 09:27 PM   #26
Scorch

When I built my reloading bench, I laminated 1/8" Masonite (rather than Formica) on top to make it easier to clean up powder spills and such.
Old December 12, 2007, 10:05 PM   #27
Scott5

Suggestions

Hello all,
Yea I've got one for you Lee.
Don't forget about a fire extinguisher, weather you are sitting or standing at the bench it should be just two steps away.

If you spill cleaning fluid into an outlet, or something shorts out in the reloading room and starts a fire, or you spill powder, and the unthinkable happens.

It's better to have one or two and never need them than need them and not have them. Just my $0.02
Old December 13, 2007, 01:43 PM   #28
Lee-Enfield

Feedback to the feedback

Thanks for the continued feedback, I'm sure I'm not the only one finding this helpful! Some good ideas, so I've tried to respond to everyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansman
Didn't read through all the replies, so if this is redundant, sorry. Anyhoo, if you are planning on sitting at this bench, you might want to give yourself more knee room. My bench is a quick and dirty affair, with two 4x4s supporting a 4'x2.5' x 1.5" plywood top hinged to a concrete half wall, so it could be lifted up out of the way. Turns out all that room underneath has been the biggest advantage of my 'design', as I sit on a stool most of the time. Should I ever build a proper bench along the lines you show, I would omit the drawers on the side front, moving them above or around to the side. Just my .02.
The set of draws is an integral part of the design, I don't have any more space width-wise in my current situation to reposition them (I hope I understood you properly). The seating space I have in my design is restricted to the right of the bench, but since that where the press work will happen, I don't see this as being a problem... or at least it seems the most effective use of the limited space I have. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Talon
Sometimes its more perferable to stand when reloading or tinkering, So my bench is tall and comfortable for me to stand. When I want to sit I have a couple of 1950's era science lab stools with a back support.
I'm a lazy bastard, I always sit except when I'm cleaning, and in that case it's handy to work over the top of the rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJakeJ1s
If you will have access to the left end, some older desks I've seen had a cabinet door and shelves in the end, behind the drawers. That would help make use of that empty volume. For simplicity, they could be open shelves, or just one shelf to store a press while it's not on the benchtop.
Good point, I'll look at this. Perhaps I can have the shelving underneath extend to the left to behind the draws? That way the bench can still be in the corner of a room and have access to this otherwise lost space.

Quote:
If you put backs on the shelves below, they could be put on drawer slides and slid forward to allow easier access.
The shelves are a bit awkward being under the bench, so it'll be for the gear I don't use often. I imagine I'd just pull the entire draw out anyways, as they would have to be deep and skinny (hard to look into without just pulling them out).

Quote:
Reloading gear can get pretty heavy; you might want to think about a middle leg in the rear behind the front one, to take some of the load from the top and drawers (particularly if you put shelves behind there accessible from the left end)
Yes, another good point, and I've been thinking this over. The frame is fairly chunky and robust, but I'll look into this. I imagine having the containers full of bullets etc. may bow the 20mm plywood shelf? I was thinking of a centre support on the top shelving too.

Quote:
I would be really nervous about rifles leaned up against the end of the bench, where they could be knocked over while working on something else. Maybe add a leather keeper strap or leather faced bar that pivots upward at the rear to hold them in place or allow removal of guns from the rack. Same with rods.
I've used a rifle rest like this for year with no miss haps. I don't have rifles there for any extended time, just when they're out of the safe as I work on them / clean them. The have a decent lean into the rest, so it would take a fair old nudge to tip them over.

Quote:
Think about a small to medium sized vise, mounted similarly to the press(es), for those times when you need to hold the work with your third hand.
I thought of a vise, but truth be told I've never needed one when reloading and cleaning rifles. I don't do any smithing, so it probably wouldn't get used much at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_che
Give yourself a little overhang of the top over the front of the frame. If you don't, you'll likely have clearance issues when working the press.
It has a tiny overhang (10mm), but I have measured up with my press in mind, so this should be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch
When I built my reloading bench, I laminated 1/8" Masonite (rather than Formica) on top to make it easier to clean up powder spills and such.
I plan to finish the bench with 2-pack varnish to give it a hard wearing surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5
Don't forget about a fire extinguisher, weather you are sitting or standing at the bench it should be just two steps away.

If you spill cleaning fluid into an outlet, or something shorts out in the reloading room and starts a fire, or you spill powder, and the unthinkable happens.

It's better to have one or two and never need them than need them and not have them. Just my $0.02
Nice tip, hadn't thought of this. I've seen decent compact extinguishers at the hardware shop.
Old December 13, 2007, 06:42 PM   #29
GuateShooter

its great !!!
Old December 13, 2007, 06:56 PM   #30
shepherddogs

Listen to Randy Che. An adequate overhang makes mounting the press much easier.
Old December 13, 2007, 09:48 PM   #31
jsflagstad

So where is that link for that guy with the ultimate reloading setup? Some of you guys may recall it... You know he had like 8-10 blue presses, shooting range right from the shop with closed circut cameras out to 100 yards, then a 1000 yard range and a jeep to check targets...man! It was cool! Maybe get some ideas from that link. I looked but couldn't find the thread..

JSF
Old December 14, 2007, 09:17 AM   #32
hunter64

js: yes I remember that one, I think he took his picture down. He must have had 20 Dillon presser in a U-shape in the garage and then in the middle was another 10 or so Dillon presses mounted on a table. It was rumored that it was someone connected with Hank Williams Jr. as the homestead was supposed to be right next door to his. Doesn't really matter, by the time I would have enough money to retire to afford all that stuff my eyes would probably be shot and I would have Parkinson's or something.