The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 29, 1999, 09:13 AM   #1
Mossyrock

Hi All,

I may have the chance to pick up a really nice Remington 14-R pump carbine. While I have wanted one of these for years, I was always looking for one in .35 Remington due to it's easily available ammo. Now this one comes along in .30 Remington. I know reloading data for the 30-30 and .30 Remington are interchangeable, but I have never messed with the .30 Rem. Anyone have any idea how hard it is to come up with brass? Dies, bullets and the like for the 30-30 can be used. I don't think factory ammo is available for the .30 Remington, but that is not a major problem since I reload. Since you can't make .30 Rem brass out of anything else, THAT might be a problem. Any comments?

------------------
Mossyrock
I wasn't here. You didn't see me. Nobody can prove anything...

Old August 29, 1999, 10:35 PM   #2
[email protected]

I have a Model 8 in 30 Remington, and looks like finding brass and loaded ammo is going to be tough. I have a few boxes of empties, but won't let them go. The dies, you would be able to get RCBS to make a set. Good luck, if you can find some components it is an easy round to load.
Old August 30, 1999, 12:54 AM   #3
Mossyrock

Bowhunter,

I was under the impression that you could use standard 30-30 dies with a .30 Remington shell holder. Is that the case? What do you think about using Nosler 150 grain Ballistic Tips in the spiral magazine? Could I do this without going "KABOOM"?

------------------
Mossyrock
I wasn't here. You didn't see me. Nobody can prove anything...

Old September 1, 1999, 06:17 PM   #4
Paul B.

Mossyrock. Couldn't find a source for ammo. Sorry. About the ballistic tips? With the spiral magazine tube, you should be OK.
For ammo, scrounge the gun shows. I've seen some there, but it usually ain't cheap.
Paul B.