The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 28, 2006, 07:55 PM   #1
triggerhappy2006

Tanning

Hey i have yet to kill me a coyote but how hard is it to skin and tan a coyote hide if i get one anyone want to give me some step by step. I want to try to get out there this weekend but im not sure it might be a little late to try the female in heat thing but it cant hurt(unless i get sick again like early feb lol) id apresiate any input
Old February 28, 2006, 08:02 PM   #2
iudoug

Take my advice....

take it to a taxidermist and have it done the right way. There is no way you can do it and save a nickle.....I assume you just want the hide so you want it soft......trying to break one yourself with no experience will result in a poor hide....and a little smelly!!!:barf:
Old February 28, 2006, 08:29 PM   #3
rc_racer_007

well,,, im in the process of getting ready to tan the first coyote i killed. Skinning it isnt to hard,,, just have to be careful not to cut holes in the hide cause its thin. Then you have the flesh it, you know cut all the fat and meat off that you can, which i used a pocket knife but they sell fleshing knives for that. but im not exactly sure the correct way to use them.

I just bought a single handed fleching tool with the commercial tanning supplies from http://www.minntrapprod.com

but check that out, do some searching. I wasnt planning on tanning my coyote hide, but it smells, and the tanning should fix it. If you are planning on wanting to learn how to tan hides, it will take practice, but if its somehting valuable or you want done perfect, go to a taxidermist... cause from what iv done soooo far, its gonna take a lot of practice (for me any ways, lol)

aj
Old March 1, 2006, 02:24 PM   #4
jhgreasemonkey

I Agree. You Should Bring It In And Have It Done Professionaly. I Got Instructions From An Old Timer On How To Tan Hides With Turpentine And Wood Alcohol. So I Tryed It And It Turned Out Like Crap. :d
Old March 1, 2006, 11:02 PM   #5
redlegdvldg

this site gives you a good idea on how to tan hides

This site has some instructions and ideas for tanning hides. Ive done it for squirrel hides but not for a coyote.www.amystaxidermy.com
Old March 2, 2006, 11:16 AM   #6
Wild Bill Bucks

Unless you have a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY good reason for wanting a coyote skin tanned, I would not suggest even attempting it. Go to a tannery somewhere and see if you can breathe. Tanning is a VERY smelly process, and if you don't live in a pretty rural area, it will run you out of house and home before you get through.
My suggestion, just hang it on the fence posts like everybody else.
Old March 3, 2006, 03:06 AM   #7
rc_racer_007

actually, the tanning stuff i ordered came in today, and it smells quiet nice,, like mint.... but isnt the whole butchered a animal,,,, ESPECIALLY a gut shot one kinda smelly any ways? the 'after the hunt' portion of hunting is never pelasent.
Old March 4, 2006, 12:06 AM   #8
impact

Someone once told me the indians used a mild acid solution made from tree bark.

I trapped as a kid and had many hids that I never tanned. When you clean the hid you have to make sure all the fat is removed. Let it dry for at least ten days. I had Muskrat hids that lasted over ten years with just a good clean and air dry.

The acid solution breaks down the hide and with a little work makes the hide soft. You can go to a tanner and he will sell you the solution to tan a hide. Like I said the solution is nothing more than a mild acid that breaks down the fibers in the hide and WITH! some work makes the hide soft.

Good luck! Tanning a hide is just that much more closer you are getting to nature
Old March 4, 2006, 01:10 PM   #9
Badreno

Try this kit. Curatan Hair On Kit

It comes with everything you need to tan your 'yote and then some. It also has complete step by step instructions on how to do it. Van Dykes is the best place I have found for taxidermy supplies. They stock everything and their prices are right. Don't be nervous about tanning a coyote. Even if you run into trouble, it is after all just a coyote. It's worth the $12.99 to get some experience.

...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. - Luke 22:36

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!