The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 2, 2000, 04:16 PM   #1
cleanerPA

Can anyone tell me where I can find 2 or 3 shot magazine extensions for the Benelli Nova? Also, who has the best price for the extensions?

I think Long Island Shooting Center may have the best price, but I want to see if anyone else has better prices. I've emailed them for a price quote.

Thanks.
Old October 2, 2000, 06:28 PM   #2
hksigwalther

How much is LISC selling them for?
Old October 4, 2000, 08:36 AM   #3
cleanerPA

$49.95 plus shipping.

I found out from LISC that there is no 3-shot extension listed in the 2000 Benelli parts catalog.

LISC has them in stock, so I've placed an order with them. I'll report back when it arrives and I'll see how it turns out.
Old October 4, 2000, 08:29 PM   #4
hksigwalther

Do you know if Super 90 mag extensions fit?

------------------
- Ron V.
Old October 5, 2000, 07:18 AM   #5
cleanerPA

I don't think the Super 90 extensions fit,
as there is a different SKU number from
LISC. That may not be the case, but I just thought I'd pass that tidbit of info along.

I know the Super 90 chokes fit, but that's about it.

Old October 5, 2000, 11:54 AM   #6
PVerdieck

I think paid more at www.brownells.com
Old October 5, 2000, 01:54 PM   #7
Godspeed

I bought a +2 mag extention form Long island shooting supply. They had the best price and were prompt and friendly with my questions. Best part about the mag extention is that even though it is advertised at +2 it is actually a +3!!! My NOVA now holds 7 2 3/4" shells. If I load it with 1.5" agula shells it holds 13 if I remember correctly. Perhaps the +2 refers to 3" shells.

Regards,
Godspeed
Old October 6, 2000, 09:15 AM   #8
cleanerPA

Godspeed,
I guess your experience reflects mine.

I installed the +2 extension yesterday and now it holds 7+1. I don't know what the capacity was previously because it had the factory installed mag limiter and the stupid
mag cap inside the tube which was a royal PITA to remove.

I'm happy.

Now where can I purchase a sidesaddle for the gun?

Any news about a Surefire foreend? I'd like an M3 weaponlight on this thing.
Old October 6, 2000, 11:00 AM   #9
dZ

side saddle: http://www.brownells.com/Product/pro...0&CategoryID=0

867-000-004
Side Saddle Shell Holder fits Benelli Nova, 6 Rnds.
$29.98
SIDE SADDLE LIGHT MOUNT - Put light on target when you need it. Holds 1" and 3/4" flashlights in
side saddle equipped shotguns. Instant installation, clamps light solidly in position. Doesn't interfere
with function or loading.
SPECS: Aluminium, black. 1" ring with 3/4" adapter.

SHOTGUN SADDLE MOUNTS

Easy-To-Install, No Gunsmithing, Contoured To Fit Receiver

Firmly attaches to both sides of receiver using existing screw/pin holes. Provides even balance to gun
without obstructing operation. Recoil transfers to receiver, not mount screws, for greater strength.
Long, multi-slotted base provides maximum eye relief adjustment for mounting scopes and electronic
sights. Open sight channel allows use of iron sights.
SPECS: Aluminum, black, anodized. Uses Weaver-style rings, not included. Approx. 6Ó (15cm) long.
Rem. 870/1100/11-87 20 ga. is side mount and fits Lightweight models only.

122-000-001
Benelli Nova 12 ga.
$49.95
http://www.brownells.com/Product/pro...0&CategoryID=0
Old October 6, 2000, 11:56 AM   #10
PVerdieck

Before I contemplate a light holder or side saddle, I am going to need to hear about it from other people. I thought I heard one or the other was ok but both would cause a problem.
Old October 6, 2000, 01:27 PM   #11
Godspeed

Great! I didn't know anyone had made a sidesaddle yet for the Benelli Nova! As for the sidesaddle light mount, it looks like its original intent is for mounting scopes (although lights will certainly work) and from looking at the picture it looks as though it has a ping that goes through the reciver. This is a problem because both the sidesaddle and the light mount will try to put a pin through the same hole. Hard to be sure from the picture but it looks to be the case. I figure I'll get a surefire for the front and sidesaddle for the reciever.

Godspeed
Old October 6, 2000, 02:11 PM   #12
dZ

yep the saddle mount is a scope mount

here is my nova: http://tv.acmecity.com/timeslot/247/...s/dscn0026.jpg
Old October 7, 2000, 04:10 PM   #13
hksigwalther

Well, I had a spare M1SuperDuper90 mag (2 rounder) in my safe. To see if the shotgun would fit the mag, I went and bought a new Nova Tactical. (Well, at least it was a good excuse to get another Benelli. Knowing the mags had different SKUs as cleanerPA pointed out, I was hoping that it was just an external difference that prompted the different item numbers.) They had the Nova extension at the shop also and, just in case the S90 mag didn't fit, bought that too.

Turns out, the S90 mag will not fit to Nova, The mag tubes themselves are of the same thread size and pitch. The threaded portion of the collar that attaches the mag to the shotgun, however, have different diameters. The Nova's is smaller. But, no matter, I have the correct extension.

------------------
- Ron V.
Old October 9, 2000, 07:58 AM   #14
cleanerPA

dZ, Thanks for posting the info on the sidesaddle mount. When you mention that it is aluminum, I assume that the shell holders are not aluminum, are they? That would not be good for durability.

In response to PVerdieck's question, I think you're thinking of the M1 Super 90- that gun, due to its recoil-operated action, can have problems if you mount a Surefire foreend and a side saddle. The Nova has no such problems, and I intend to add both as they become available.
Old October 10, 2000, 06:25 PM   #15
PVerdieck

cleanerPA. Sweet! I'll do both eventually also.

Anyways. I got the Benelli recoil reducer. It does work! Be it the design, or the mass it adds to buttstock, the kick is reduced. Not immediately noticeable, but when you are done shooting you notice how less abused your shoulder feels
Old October 10, 2000, 06:41 PM   #16
Godspeed

You didn't think the recoil reducer was immediately noticeable? Man I noticed it RIGHT away. Those #4 buck loads and slugs are now just "louder" than my trap loads.
Thanks for the info on the sidesaddle. I ordered one today. I'm still not convinced that the light/scope mount will fit with the sidesaddle at the same time since they both use the same holes so I'm holding off on that one for now. I do need to mount a light to my gun though.

------------------
Best Regards,
Godspeed
Old October 10, 2000, 10:13 PM   #17
PVerdieck

Well, I couldn't tell It had been a week since I had last fired it, and it felt a little lighter.

Now what was interesting was firing my first double magnum. This was at night. Talk about a muzzle flash. I also wasn't quite prepared. Barrel went up 45 degrees and I went back 2 feet!
Old October 11, 2000, 01:15 PM   #18
cleanerPA

PVerdieck,
I'm thinking about the recoil reducer as well. If it works, then I'm sold.

Godspeed,
If it works that well that you don't feel the slugs or the buckshot, that's amazing. Did you get the mercury-filled recoil reducer or the other one? I was thinking of getting the mercury-filled one.
Old October 11, 2000, 04:52 PM   #19
PVerdieck

Here was the schedule of events.

Saturday. Bought Nova, 00 and slugs went to range. Had fun

Sunday. Went back to range. Was noticeably abused and cringing when shooting

I ordered the Mercury recoil-absorber, and mount.

Installed and went shooting. Shot an assortment of shot, slugs and some 2xmagnums. No problems with the recoil.

[This message has been edited by PVerdieck (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old October 12, 2000, 07:05 PM   #20
Godspeed

Cleaner, it really does work. I got the mercury filled one. I may exaggerate its properties a little bit but I took two shotgun virgins shooting once with and once without the reducer. Without they would cringe after each slug and were rubbing their shoulder at the end of the day. The second time out (with the reducer) we shot several hundred rounds of mixed, trap, buck, and slugs and everyone was rapid firing and not sore at the end of the day at all. IMHO well worth the money and even though it does add weight, it balances out a fully loaded extended mag nicely.

------------------
Best Regards,
Godspeed