The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2002, 04:07 PM   #1
greg c

Ruger Red Label rant

Please allow me to rant a while. . .

I purchased my first O/U (Red label) in December for quail and duck season. On my first duck hunt I found the fault of my safety kicking on after the first shot (3" shells). Sent it back to Ruger before christmas in hopes of getting it back before the end of duck season here in AZ (1/20). After four calls- which by the way were handled by "customer service reps" one of whom actually was eating a sandwich while she talked to me and laughed when I asked if I could talk to the repair person- the gun was finally delivered back to me today. The safety has been fixed satisfactorily- seems to engage quite positively- although I have not fired it yet. I had them also take a look at the chambers, which had some gunge in there prior to my buying/shooting the piece, and this has also been cleaned out satisfactorily.

However, I now have fresh gouges in the bottom extractor face, new scratches to the barrel hook on which the forearm attaches, and the forearm now has about a half of an inch of vertical play when the action is closed.

Now I am just so pissed off I can barely look at what they have done to my baby. Whoever handled my gun obviously has lost pride in their workmanship. Sure I could complain and send it back AGAIN- but I shouldn't have to.

For now I've stuck a shim between the forearm and barrel, but to me that is not an acceptable solution on this firearm.

Thanks for listening.

Gregory
Old January 31, 2002, 06:24 PM   #2
PJR

No you shouldn't have to send it back but that's what I'd do and do again until Ruger gets it right. There is no excuse for this kind of treatment yet it's all too common.

I'm not a fan of Ruger products. I've owned four over the years and was underwhelmed each time. I'll take Beretta and Browning over Ruger every time.
Old January 31, 2002, 08:01 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

That is so sad. It borders on criminal.

When they are good, they are good.
When they are bad, they are very bad.

I doubt that drivin up to the Prescott plant and havin a fit in the front office would do much good either.

Best of luck, sincerely

Sam
Old February 1, 2002, 05:20 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's little middle ground with Ruger Products. Either they're superb( 10-22, SA and DA revolvers) or total POCs.

Stay on their case. Some suggestions.

Write them a letter detailing all the probs and so on. Send it to them Registered Mail. That way nobody can duck the issues by saying they never got it.

Keep a copy of the above,and any further correspondence. Start a log with dates and who you talk to, just to establish time frames and keep continuity.

Be polite but firm.

Good luck...
Old February 4, 2002, 06:02 AM   #5
dick w. holliday

i wouldn't send anything back to Ruger--i found a heavily factory engraved O/U Ruger for a buddy and he sent it back to get the safety made non-auto and fix some problem with the firing pins....after waiting forever and then finding out that they wouldn't convert the safety to non-auto.......they shipped someone elses gun back to him and said they couldn't find his engraved gun.....anyway he later got it back from them with the firing pin problem fixed........Dick
Old February 5, 2002, 05:50 PM   #6
greg c

Talked to the Ruger service dept today. The first lady who answered (Penny) was polite but kept repeating that although they would be happy to pay for shipping, it would take at least 2-3 weeks to redo the gun- and even then she could not guarantee that it would be taken care of in that period of time. I asked for her supervisor, whom she said was busy on the phone- I told her to have her supervisor give me a call. I got a call back from the Penny again who said that she spoke to her supervisor and said that nothing more could be done. So I asked who her supervisor was and she said, " (long pause) ummm, Brenda." I told her to have Brenda call me back and had to keep repeating that request until finally she agreed to it.

Shortly thereafter I received a call back from Tammy (I think that was her name, anyways) who was a bit more sympathetic and agreed that waiting another 5 weeks to get my gun fixed would be unacceptable and stated that she would try to help me out. I'm not really too sure what that means, exactly, but I am hopeful.

Well, like Dave said, I'm going to give them one more chance. By the way, C.R. Sam, the gun goes to their repair dept in NH or PA (I can't recall right now), not Prescott (unfortunately).
Old February 10, 2002, 01:08 PM   #7
H&H,hunter

Guy's thanks for this thread!!! I am looking into a new shotgun and had been eyeing a Stainles Synthetic O/U Ruger. I think I'll pass I've had nothing but problems with their M-77 Rifles in the past. I guess I shouldn't expect any improvement with their scatter guns.
Any of you Shotgunners out there that could give me some advice on a bullet proof all weather shotgun would sure be appreciated. It'll spend a lot of time wet muddy and near salt water.

Thanks
H&H.
Old February 10, 2002, 07:57 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

870 Marine Magnum....
Old February 10, 2002, 09:07 PM   #9
C.R.Sam

Greg.....I know that. Often ruger honchos are at the Prescott facilities tho. Never seemed to do much good tho.

Like Dave said.....keep very good records of all intercourse with them.

Sam
Old February 10, 2002, 09:56 PM   #10
greg c

Actually, in an ironic twist, the 870 MM IS my other shotgun, and is the one that I finished off the duck season with this year. Bombproof, but it only comes with a cylinder bore 18" bbl. I stuck on a blue 24" with a mod choke ala FRANKEN-GUN.

Thanks for the support, guys.
Old February 10, 2002, 11:32 PM   #11
C.R.Sam

Luckily, most quail and ducks aren't picky about the cosmetics ot the guns that get em.

Tis the gunner, not the gun, that fills the pot.

Glad you had a backup.

Sam
Old February 13, 2002, 11:02 PM   #12
JimmyDee

Uh-oh!

I just sent my stainless/synthetic Red Label in for service. After 50 or so skeet shells the forend started popping off. The latch would loosen after the first shot and, if a second shot was needed, the forend was ready to come off. Ruger's got it now - and they tell me that it takes six to eight weeks for shotguns to be turned around. I'll be sure to carefully check it out when it gets back.

In fairness, Ruger has taken care of a couple other problems I've had. They are rather slow, though.
Old February 16, 2002, 10:11 AM   #13
aerod1

On the other hand.
I own a Ruger Red Label shotgun, plus several Ruger pistols, revolvers, and rifles. I have never had a problem with any of them.
Jim Hall
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old February 17, 2002, 08:16 PM   #14
Mannlicher

I bought my first Ruger in 1967, a .22 semi auto pistol. Since then, I have owned many, both pistols and rifles. I have never had a single problem with any of them. The only Baretta I owned was a real POS though............

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 21, 2002, 12:03 AM   #15
greg c

Ok, the infamous red label is on the way back to her home. We'll see what magic can be wrought over the next few weeks. Cross your fingers for me please, guys.
Old February 21, 2002, 12:28 AM   #16
C.R.Sam

Please keep us informed Greg. And good luck this time.

Sam