The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2017, 10:20 PM   #1
Aikia

Coated bullet comparison

Has any one compared Hi-Tek coated bullets to Powder coated bullets for accuracy?
Old May 6, 2017, 10:58 AM   #2
reddog81

They should be very very close. Any comparison is only going to be valid for that specific gun, using the specific bullets used, in the specific brass that was used, and for that exact powder charge used.

Unless the test was conducted using dozens of guns and dozens of different bullet types and dozens of different charges it would not have any statistical significance to the majority of people.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be interested in knowing the results from such a test but I'd be hesitant to think any test done by some random person would apply to me. Assuming your using an appropriate bullet it will be much more accurate than 99% of people can shoot anyways.
Old May 6, 2017, 06:42 PM   #3
Aikia

Ok so maybe I should say in your experience have you seen better accuracy with one or the other.

I fully understand that the answers I get would be valid only for the person giving the answer as there are so many other variables, but the same answer enough times might show a tendency or leaning to one side or the other. Then again it could turn out to be a question like which caliber is best for....
Old May 6, 2017, 07:55 PM   #4
74A95

To be a fair comparison, it would require that the bullets are cast from the same alloy in the same mold, and then coated 2 different ways. It might be difficult to find someone who has done that comparison.

If it's not done under those exact conditions, there are several variables that could affect the outcome, which could make one come to the wrong conclusion.

There is one test I'm aware of where a traditional cast bullet was compared for accuracy with a Hi-Tek coated bullet of the same design from the same manufacturer. https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...r-handloaders/
Old May 14, 2017, 06:31 PM   #5
Aikia

74A95, Thank you that was an informative article on coated bullets. I especially like the long list of links the author included.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:55 PM   #6
74A95

Aikia, you're welcome. Glad you found it useful.
Old August 13, 2017, 08:08 PM   #7
res45

Several YouTubers have compared identical loads/bullets with the only difference being one set of loads were coated with Hi-Tek and the other with PC. There was no real sufficient difference in velocity or groups size between the two types of coating an it was basically a wash. So it really just comes down to personal preference.