The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 7, 2016, 03:15 AM   #1
mxsailor803

First time silencer buyer

How's it going guys? I've been on the fence for awhile but now I'm ready to get serious. I'm going to be filing a trust around May through a lawyer buddy that's familiar with trusts and such. I'm mainly looking for suggestions on a specific silencer. I'm mainly going to be using it for night time hog hunting on my .300BO AR or Ruger American. I'm not going to be doing mag dumps and things of that nature. I'm wanting to stay around or under $700 prior to the stamp. I don't require a quick attachment but it would be nice. Thanks.
Old January 7, 2016, 05:41 AM   #2
Sharkbite

The FIRST thing you need to do is research the new BATFE ruling. Google "ATF 41p"

They have made some changes to the way Trusts will be handled. You may not want to wait, and do it right away (before it goes into effect). Or you may not want to do it via Trust at all and just go ahead and file as an individual. Look into it and decide whats best

As for cans, i have 2 that i use on my Blackouts.

First is an AAC 762SDN-6. This is a 308 rated can that is a bit overkill on the Blkout. It does a good job of suppression, but its longer and HEAVIER then it needs to be for that caliber.

Second (should get it out of "jail" anyday) is a Gemtech Gmt300blk. This is a 300blkout specific can. Very light (Ti), monocore design, direct thread model.

I expect to give up SOME sound reduction for the smaller size monocore design. Its going to mainly live on a short barreled AR, but i bet it sees the end of my Rem 700sd as well.
Old January 7, 2016, 11:53 AM   #3
mxsailor803

I'll take a look at ATF 41P. I unfortunately have to wait until summertime as I'm currently deployed. I was looking at the Gemtech just now. Any idea if it will handle the pressure of a 5.56? I know it won't be nearly as quiet as a larger can or dedicated 5.56 can but rather be able to buy once and have the versatility if the need arises.
Old January 7, 2016, 12:12 PM   #4
Sharkbite

I called Gemtech to ask about 556.

NO!!.. Was the answer. I guess the "uncorking" pressure is too high with 556, and damage will result.
Old January 7, 2016, 02:11 PM   #5
Mobuck

The days of the quick turn-around may be far gone. At this point, I'm not even sure there be anymore NFA transfers. Just being a pessimist but personal opinion is totally negative. With BATFE priorities turning toward "closing the gun show loopholes", the NFA approval waiting list may get longer and longer until folks simply give up.
I seem to have been just a few weeks behind the curve so have been waiting for a second approval nearly as long as for the first(6-7 months). I stand behind my comment from some time back that BATFE is making legally obtaining NFA items as aggravating and onerous as possible with the intent of discouraging as many citizens as possible.