The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2015, 06:49 AM   #51
TimSr

Sorry, but if I have to go back and forth and scroll through that list to find out what your post is trying to say because you won't type a few extra characters, then I am skippig over your post. No offense, but my time is worth something too, and Im just too impatient to have fun of solving every basic communication like a puzzle.
Old September 16, 2015, 07:29 AM   #52
F. Guffey

I use JIC, I always explain JIC as 'just in case'.

Example: I have neck sizing dies, I do not use them but 'JIC' as in 'just in case'.

F. Guffey
Old September 17, 2015, 07:43 PM   #53
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSr
Sorry, but if I have to go back and forth and scroll through that list to find out what your post is trying to say because you won't type a few extra characters, then I am skippig over your post. No offense, but my time is worth something too, and Im just too impatient to have fun of solving every basic communication like a puzzle.
I feel similarly, but from the opposite perspective.

When I write, I want to communicate. When I put the effort into writing, I want to be sure my message is clear.

I (try to) always spell out any obscure or potentially ambiguous acronym or abbreviation in parentheses right next to my first use of the short-hand term.

Examples, SA (single action) or Semi-automatic (SA).

Lost Sheep (trying to not lead others astray)
Old September 18, 2015, 06:35 AM   #54
Sport45

When I see SA my first thought is Springfield Armory.

Anytime I see FTF I have to wonder if the problem was feeding or firing (or maybe they meant face-to-face). Same with FTE, was it a failure to extract or eject?

There's a lot to be said for spelling out your thoughts.

Last edited by Sport45; September 18, 2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old September 18, 2015, 11:16 AM   #55
Clark

OK, I learned something.

1) Abbreviations
.a) shortened words [Feb]
.b) initializations [psi]
.c) acronyms [NATO]

I hate abbreviations, that I don't recognize, in other people's posts.
I write a few in my reloading notes, that are conditioned responses, and show up in MY posts, that probably irritate others.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 18, 2015, 11:41 AM   #56
Louca

Quote:
I (try to) always spell out any obscure or potentially ambiguous acronym or abbreviation in parentheses right next to my first use of the short-hand term.
That's called good writing. Things written in that way are much easier to read, and are far less prone to interpretation mistakes.

But what kind of bugs me in longer articles is when acronyms are properly first spelled out, but then are used only once. For example, an article might start out by saying something like, "The armed citizen was the holder of a valid concealed pistol license (CPL).", after which CPL is never used again in the remainder of the article.

I love the use of three letter acronyms (TLAs). In fact, TLA is itself a TLA!
Old September 18, 2015, 11:49 AM   #57
Louca

Mal H, one thing I would suggest that might make the list a little easier to read is to show the acronym, abbreviation, or initialism in bold. It helps to set it off from the definition and could make it more readable.

Also, I do not see RKBA on the list.

Thanks.
Old September 18, 2015, 12:47 PM   #58
mikld

My only suggestion would be to get off yer lazy a$$e$ and type out the words ! Some may think it makes them look like an "expert"/ more worldly experienced reloader to use the abbreviations/acronyms, but I don't think so. Way too many times an abbreviation (abbr.) or acronym (acrym) is made up on the fly, and the writer has something in his head that he understands but unfortunately no one else does....

RNT ovr...
Old September 18, 2015, 12:54 PM   #59
TimSr

Quote:
My only suggestion would be to get off yer lazy a$$e$ and type out the words ! Some may think it makes them look like an "expert"/ more worldly experienced reloader to use the abbreviations/acronyms, but I don't think so. Way too many times an abbreviation (abbr.) or acronym (acrym) is made up on the fly, and the writer has something in his head that he understands but unfortunately no one else does....
The point I was trying to make, only clearer!

Seriously, does anybody actually go over and search that list for something they don't understand in a post or do people actually read and memorize that list before they read posts? I think its used more as a "how many can you think of" game than as a serious reference.
Old September 18, 2015, 03:34 PM   #60
Lost Sheep

Related source of confusion

"Terms of Art" are words that have very specific meanings when used in the context of a field of science or profession. In the Legal profession, when you find "must" and "shall" in a contract, the meanings are very different. In everyday conversation, not so much.

"Clip" and "Magazine" are like that. In lay language, they are often freely interchanged without confusion over the speaker's/writer's intent. To a Naval Gunner, "Magazine" is quite different.

It is the writer's duty to make the meaning as clear and unmistakable as possible. (Also, easy to read)

It is the reader's duty to pay attention to the writer's efforts.

Lost Sheep
Old September 20, 2015, 12:58 PM   #61
Real Gun

Quote:
Jeff2131 and Real Gun - this thread isn't intended to be a debate of what the definition of acronym is or what it isn't. That debate ended with the first paragraph in my post #9.

Quote:
Actually I did get it wrong, but not how you might think. I meant to say "initialism". That is the proper term for the series of initial letters of two or more words which is not said as a word (that would be an acronym), but by the letters themselves. Examples - FBI, GCA, IRS, etc. The letters are normally not separated by periods. If that is the case, then they are indeed simply initials.
Webster's agrees that an acronym is simply the first letter of each of a series of words, no other conditions.

The definition of initialism according to Websters is as follows:

"An acronym formed from initial letters."

I think it would be heavy handed to disallow discussion on this point.

When my usage agrees with Webster's, I choose not to be corrected on my use of the language.

Last edited by Real Gun; September 20, 2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old September 21, 2015, 12:42 PM   #62
mikld

"Terms of Art", would/could be used if everyone taking part in the conversation were of the same knowledge/experience as all others....

In a forum you don't really know who you're talking to (most posts are "sent out in cyberspace" for any and all to see, and members may or may not have much in common). This is why I address most/all my posts or replies as if I were speaking to a beginning reloader (and most of the time spell words out).
Old September 22, 2015, 04:03 AM   #63
Snyper

People should just stop being lazy and type words
Old September 22, 2015, 08:27 AM   #64
Real Gun

Quote:
PITA
Old September 22, 2015, 09:40 AM   #65
Don P

Quote:
When I write, I want to communicate. When I put the effort into writing, I want to be sure my message is clear

I concur with the above quote.

Quote:
I concur with the above quote. It sees our upcoming generations with all the electronic wizardry are in my opinion becoming less able to communicate as we older folks. Ask them to write a letter, whats paper and pen. Perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit but all to often you see a group of youngins sitting around and all are looking down at there phones and typing away and not speaking a word to each other. What we have here is a failure to communicate with spoken words
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 23, 2015, 06:53 AM   #66
Real Gun

Quote:
youngins sitting around and all are looking down at there phones and typing away and not speaking a word to each other.
They are not typing...they are touch keyboarding. Actually, they probably have a more brief term for it, probably an acronym. It's hard to keep up.
Old September 23, 2015, 10:19 AM   #67
Don P

Quote:
They are not typing...they are touch keyboarding.
OK, a play on words. I'll do my best in the future to use the correct terminology when touching/typing upon my keyboard
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 23, 2015, 11:00 AM   #68
higgite

Quote:
typing
See definition in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
Syllabification: typ·ing
Pronunciation: /ˈtīpiNG/
Definition of typing in English:
noun
1The action or skill of writing something by means of a typewriter or computer:
they learned shorthand and typing
If it's good 'nuf for Oxford, it's good 'nuf for me.

Are we getting off topic (hereinafter designated by "OT")?

Which begs the question: Is "OT" an acronym? An initialization? An abbreviation? All of the above? None of the above? Some of the above?

Last edited by higgite; September 23, 2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old September 23, 2015, 11:57 AM   #69
Clark

Quote:
higgite
Which begs the question: Is "OT" an acronym? An initialization? An abbreviation? All of the above? None of the above? Some of the above?
Too late for me to edit my post. Try not to copy my mistake. I should have written:

How I think of it top down:
1) Abbreviations
.a) shortened words [Feb]
.b) initialisms [psi]
.c) acronyms [NATO]

"OT" is an abbreviation, and more specifically an initialism. It is not an acronym.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/edu...nd-initialisms
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 23, 2015, 03:04 PM   #70
higgite

And I was so hoping it was an acronym.