The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 19, 2015, 07:29 AM   #26
Pond, James Pond

That's what I thought but the Lee vid and other posters believe it won't hence my ongoing confusion!
Old September 19, 2015, 09:54 AM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

I'm not a fan of Lee dies, and have not seen their videos, but I have 45+ years experience with what works for Lyman, RCBS, and others.

You asked if screwing then entire die assy would seat the bullet deeper in the case. I said no, because it does not, under the conditions you described.

There are other conditions where it could, but those are not what we are talking about here.

Does turning it all down a thread (or a half) shorten the OAL? yes. But the distance relationship between the end of the bullet and the case mouth remains the same. So your crimp stays in the correct place on the bullet. The OAL of the round is slightly shorter (by the amount you lowered the die body), but why do you care????

The tiny difference in OAL length is insignificant.

Here is the method that has worked for me.
Run a case all the way up to full ram extension.
Screw the die body in until it just "kisses" the case mouth (seating stem backed out)

insert the desired bullet and adjust the seating stem until the bullet is seated at the correct depth for the crimp.

Back the seating stem out a couple turns.
Screw the die body in, until you get the desired amount of crimp. Then lock it down.

Screw the seating stem down until it firmly contacts the bullet, lock it down, and you are good to go.

Load a couple rounds and examine them carefully. They should be just what you want, but if not, they will be very close and final adjustment of either the body or the stem will be small fractions of a turn.

Of course, all this assumes uniform components (bullets and case length).
Old September 19, 2015, 12:07 PM   #28
mikld

Quote:
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but I've always thought that it was the specific bullet profile that determines the crimp type - not what the headspace is based on.
Yep, bullet design...
Old September 19, 2015, 01:01 PM   #29
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Does turning it all down a thread (or a half) shorten the OAL? yes. But the distance relationship between the end of the bullet and the case mouth remains the same. So your crimp stays in the correct place on the bullet. The OAL of the round is slightly shorter (by the amount you lowered the die body), but why do you care????
I just wanted to clarify the process as I was just starting to question my intelligence.

However, I had understood correctly in that there is a change in OAL. How much is not the issue. I couldn't work out how it could be done without that change. Given the change is insignificant, then I can see why reloaders are not concerned with it.
Old September 19, 2015, 04:47 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

while seating the bullet so it is "just off the lands" can be a factor in getting the most accuracy from some rifles, its a moot point when you are loading revolver ammo.

There is, essentially, no "too short" OAL, and the only "too long OAL" is where the bullet sticks out the front of the cylinder.
Old September 19, 2015, 06:36 PM   #31
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
I do take exception with this, though...
Not if you use one of the Star presses that push the die plate down. But I should have said the motion is relative.

Now it's "my turn, my turn, my turn", to take exception to a minor point :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
It is not seated any deeper in the case.
Actually it is seated deeper, just less than expected. That deepening of seating is what creates the shaving effect. I used to get so many lead rings from that on .45 Auto that it would build up in my Goldcup's chamber and either interfere with chambering or get blown loose and wind up riding or mishaping a bullet that became a flier. So, for awhile, I used a dental pick to take the rings off the finished rounds one at a time. Then I discovered separate taper crimping. This was circa 1979 or so. I think that's the year I first became an NRA Life Member, too. Got tired of remembering the annual renewals about the same time I got tired of dental picking the lead rings. TAR has followed me ever since.

But here's the reason the seating depth increase is less than the anticipated 0.036": When you are crimping you are also compressing the height of the cartridge with the crimp shoulder. This tends to cause the brass to bulge as I showed in the exaggerated illustration and to experience barrel distortion also below the bullet base position. But as long as you don't compress it hard enough to surpass the yield of the brass as that third illustration depicted had happened, then it springs back, returning some of that compressed length. The greater the case length, the more easily this happens. If you try the same experiment with a die that constrains the brass diameter more, like the Redding Profile Crimp Die (great revolver die, BTW), you will see the COL shorten more in line with the crimp adjustment.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 21, 2015, 05:42 PM   #32
gunnny12

But 44 head spaces off the base and not the neck so a tad deeper no big deal correct?

Jeff
Old September 22, 2015, 07:59 PM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

The .44Magnum headspaces on the case rim, so minor variation in total length are irrelevant as a safety concern, and generally insignificant in terms of accuracy as well.