The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 26, 2001, 08:07 PM   #1
TGS

12Ga Rottweil

Wondering if anyone an give me some history on this one. Its called a AAT77 Under Single. My blue book indicates its made in Germany but the marking on the barrel indicates Spain??? Discontinued 1986.
Its a real hefty gun weighing in at 10 pounds and after 100 clays I think I know where the phrase "pumping Iron" comes from. Its a double hammer job for a U/O but has no trigger selector so with just the lower barrel setup I have to sqeze off the second hammer before I break and reload. (dont get confused n all the excitment or there will be some P.O.'d squad members!) It also has an adjustable comb, butt pad and tall adjustable rib and jeweled drop out trigger, 32" full choke with lengthened forcng cone, nice engraving etc.
Who is Rottweil? (actually at a glance its mistaken for a BT100)
Thanks
Tom
Old June 27, 2001, 07:21 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not even close to being an expert, but....

Rottweil is a large industrial company in Germany. Among other things, they make the excellent Rottweil Brenneke slug many of us use.

I've handled and fired a couple of Rottweil O/Us, I don't know the models. They seemed sturdy and handled well.I'm not fond of most Germanic stocks, all the carving,even when well done, is not as nice in my eyes as plain but well figured wood and nice lines. It's like comparing a Shaker chair to a baroque Louis XV chair.

However, you've a purpose built trap gun there. My guess is,unless the gun is terribly worn,and if the stock fits you reasonably well, you and that shotgun should do all right at 16s and handicap.I've a hunch a month from now you'll be swinging that thing like a Fox 16 ga LW.

Enjoy, sounds like a nice toy....
Old July 1, 2001, 05:13 PM   #3
TGS

Shot my 1 st 100 singles....

Thanks for the reply. Took it to my first registered meet this weekend and shot 100 singles and 100 handicap's. Had a lot of fun and did about as well I had hoped to. Pretty nervous beginning out but shortly felt like everything was coming togeather. One thing for sure after lifting it 100 times my right arm was really beginning to ache. After the 2nd Hundred ..Lordy Lordy..I new it was heavy and weighed it when I got home. Tips the scale at a little over 10 lbs. I wonder what it would weigh with an O/U set up!
I averaged 17 from the 16 and 13.5 from the 20. Actually found I liked shooting the handicap a little better than shooting the 16. Not sure what.
Need to find a stock person who can tell me if I have it set up right. It feels good points well and not hard to follow thru, I think its the momentum from the weight just a little hard to stay on the clay when the fatigue sets in.
Well Ill sure keep you informed as to how it works out. Practice practice....Fortunately I pass by the club on the way home from work so I can take advantage of that. Thanks for your feed back
Tom
Old July 2, 2001, 06:00 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Glad you like your Rottweil, TGS, a coupla suggestions....

First, a quick, rough test for fit. WITH YOUR GUN KNOWN TO BE EMPTY, focus on a point on the wall. I use the corners where two walls and the ceiling meet. W/o undue movement, close your eyes and mount your shotgun. Open your eyes and see where the shotgun's pointing. If it's close, your fit's close. Repeat a few times.

Second thing, keep your practice sessions a little shorter than 200 rounds in one day until you're used to it. On days you don't shoot, make sure your shotgun's unloaded and safe, practice mounts and swing. It's not muscle tissue you're trying to build so much as muscle memory.

Also, take comfort in the fact that once you switch to your hunting shotgun, it will feel like a willow switch(G)...