The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2015, 11:00 PM   #1
brycealbright

What is seating depth 223 hornady 75 gr bt hp

AR-15, magazine fed

I'm utilizing H322.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 30, 2015, 11:18 PM   #2
rg1

75 gr Hornady BT-HP overall length is 2.250" per their manuals. The irregular hollowpoint tip will cause the seated depth to vary some. I'd measure and make sure the absolute longest isn't over 2.255". While max length to fit a magazine is 2.260" feeding reliability is better at 2.250".
Old March 30, 2015, 11:23 PM   #3
brycealbright

Thanks RG1

I have heard so much criticism of the Hodgdon Manual that I feel it necessary to confirm what I read. Again, thanks.
Old March 31, 2015, 05:34 AM   #4
1100 tac

Nothin' wrong with that.

Anyway, mag length is your main factor with an AR15.
Old March 31, 2015, 06:00 AM   #5
skizzums

you load them as long as you magazine will allow. after loading ine to max mag length, load some in the mag and cycle them through the gun. make ure your not hitting rifling or binding your mag. I load a ton of the 75gr hornadays. 2.264 is my length.

that is the max you can go without binding up a magpul.
this pic was 2.267.....ooops
Old March 31, 2015, 09:28 AM   #6
savagemann

The Hornady 75gr is my favorite heavy bullet for .223.
I played around with seating depth out to mag length and such.
My best performance with My load in My rifle was 2.245"
I would have thought longer was better (insert pun here) but the groups opened up a bit the longer I went.
Old March 31, 2015, 09:48 AM   #7
skizzums

longer is better depending on your rifle. if you have a standard NATO chamber, I find longer is generally better. you wouldn't believe how fa the jump is on some of those chambers. a wylde chamber you could be running too close to rifling for optimal performance going past the 2.260 mark, I would think anyways. every gun is different and yours may very well like them shorter for whatever reason. the 75 hornaday are my fav because I can afford them. the sierra 77 shoots slightly beter for me, but I have a 1:7 so it likes the length I think. the hornaday 75 may well fare better in folks with the 1:8's.
the PPU 75gr aren't bad either. but hornaday is the most consistent in weight and profile of all of them, even the sierra's

thses are my 200 yard testing of the different 75-77gr offerings. I went ou to 300 as well, but can't find the pic since I organized my bucket. but at 300 the hornadays were pretty much on par with sierra, sierra beating it by a little mre that a quarter inch at about 4" groups.
1. HRN 2.SMK 3.PPU

I have done several tests with all of these bullets, but the HRN and Sierra are so close that my sample is probably too small to make an absolute conclusion that the SMK's are indeed more accurate, but they are a bit longer and one could assume that it could have the advantage

btw, OP, I have been stuck on the IMR4064 for heavyweight .223 because it was so available during the shortage. I have just recently been using h322, and it seems like a pretty good powder. I need to do some more testing, but I can def squeeze some more velocity out of my loads whilst keeping my pressures lower. I like the 4064, but theres only so much you can do with it's capacity. but h322 and 75gr hornaday is a great place to start the chase of an accurate distance load. good luck.

Last edited by skizzums; March 31, 2015 at 10:03 AM.