The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 21, 2001, 12:04 PM   #1
Kaliburz

Just wondering about this old M1 Garand. It's a Springfeild Armory, receiver dates to Feb 45 and original barrel dates March 45 (current barrel 1950). Came w/ a reproduction ammo pouch (cartridge belt pouch). It came w/ some of the 8 round clips (new looking ...40 or so)

Now, it also came boxed w/ a peice of paper. The box and paper says Arlington Armory. Box has a 'factory' sticker that says the serial number and all that. From what I read, it says that it was an original military M1 Garand (no brainer) made to military specs. Clean before use, and cautions and the normal jazz. Aside from that, there was a original sticker on the box...looked faded w/ a bar code and price....listed for oh....$299 or was it $399. (I wish it cost that much). Any how, I was just wondering about this Arlington Armory and if the Garands/weopons they sold were any good? Or did I get a clunker...it doesn't look like one. About when did the Arlington Armory surplus this and other Garands/weopons?
Old February 22, 2001, 09:15 AM   #2
Strayhorn

Kaliburz, I can't offer you much info on your specific rifle and I only have a little bit of info on Arlington, but here it is:

Arlington used to specialize in "re-importing" American military arms that had been sent overseas to various countries during the Cold War. I bought an M1 Carbine from them about 12 years ago that had been sent to Brazil. The gun was functionally perfect - my only gripe was that the Brazilians had re-Parkerized it in a very sloppy fashion, giving it a grainy finish. I simply used steel wool to remove the sloppy finish and used Brownell's Parkerizing to re-do the job correctly.

As you probably know, Clinton forbade any further such re-importations and I was under the impression that Arlington had gone out of business - I could be wrong about that.

I would imagine that the "repro" ammo belt was probably made in some foreign country - most likely Korea, to which the US sent untold thousands of Garands during and after the Korean War, or South America.

If you feel the rifle may be unsafe, have a smith check the headspace (or get a set of gauges from Fulton Armory and do that yourself).

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
Old February 22, 2001, 03:37 PM   #3
Kaliburz

Ah, that's what I was wondering about. So, it's a good chance that it was reimported back in the country. How would I know if it was? If it's from Arlington Armory, does that mean it is/was? It's been checked...that's why the new barrel.

Old February 23, 2001, 09:36 AM   #4
Strayhorn

Can't help you regarding whether your rifle was re-imported. When I bought my Carbine, I bought it directly from Arlington and asked the rep the story - he told me that the guns had come from Brazil. They also had Garands and accessories for sale and he mentioned that the Garands were from South American countries (can't remember which).

The Carbines were interesting - apparently, they had been issued to various units, but the government was so afraid of coups that no ammo had been issued. So the guns showed all the marks of handling (stock dings, and so forth) but the barrels were mint. There wasn't even any copper fouling on the barrel ramp and the mags were still in the US wrapper.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Old February 23, 2001, 12:35 PM   #5
Kaliburz

I checked the Garand barrel that was removed. Found the stamp. The barrel was removed since the chamber scratched the brass and a 'new old stock' barrel was installed. Over all, the original barrel still looks good...wasn't cleaned since it was test fired. The faded sticker/price tag said $299, must have been a while back.
Old February 27, 2001, 03:30 PM   #6
BonesofGa.

Howdy Kaliburz, I have one of those. The Shotgun News has an interesting article on the Garand, explains a little bit about the reimports. I'd like to know about what you paid for yours. I bought mine back in 97, excellent shooter. Goes right nice next to the Krag, O3A3 and Carbine!