The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 25, 2011, 05:21 AM   #1
bswiv

Do you do this in your club.......?

Wondering if in your club it is a requirement that stands be tagged with who owns them?

The idea being that if a stand is found that is untagged it is assumed to be a trespasser and then removed.

Going to make this suggestion at our meeting Thursday night........but would like some input as to what I am missing that might make this a bad idea.

And yes there have been trespassing problems and yes we have pulled down stands before.......but only after spending a lot of effort being sure it was not a members stand. It's be a lot faster and easier if everyone tagged them.
Old August 25, 2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Saltydog235

We have groups within our club that maintain their own stands. Our group has 22 stands and 14 members so everyone has a place to sit. Any climbers or portable stands are confiscated and given to the club officers to see if someone claims them, if not the finder gets a free stand. Tresspassers haven't been much of an issue lately though.
Old August 25, 2011, 08:27 AM   #3
oneounceload

You could always use GIS and log each stand's coordinates into a data base. That way, even if the trespassers switch ID tags, you'll know exactly where your members' stands are
Old August 25, 2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

The 4000 acre ranch in eastern Ohio I'm involved with has a paid membership hunt club. Stands must be tagged and there is a large topo map in the office that has every stand marked and ID'd.

The property is posted and any untagged stands found by staff get taken down and turned over to the sheriff.

We do have a poaching problem and that policy has definitely help reduce it.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old August 25, 2011, 01:00 PM   #5
M.O.A.

here in indiana i hunt state land and state law says it most be taged and that they most be taken out off the woods by jan some time and if its not they a fay game from what i heard so yes you suggestion is a good one.
Old August 25, 2011, 03:45 PM   #6
markj

Dont use a stand here, just open the back door and blaze away, bound to hit 5 or 6 deer.....

or pull em off the front bumper......

we shot over 23 opening day, didnt put a dent in that herd at all, farmer had tags galore, he said kill them all. Not enough bullets.....
Old August 26, 2011, 02:19 PM   #7
BIG P

No never had that problem,Quess we've been lucky so far but if it does happen this sounds like a good idea.
Old August 26, 2011, 07:08 PM   #8
FrontSight

Quote:
Stands must be tagged and there is a large topo map in the office that has every stand marked and ID'd.
You guys are going to see your success ratio drop WAY down once those deer learn how to read a map & start peeking in through the office windows when no one is around
Old August 26, 2011, 10:12 PM   #9
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You guys are going to see your success ratio drop WAY down once those deer learn how to read a map & start peeking in through the office windows when no one is around
Ah, but what they don't know is that we have a phony map posted....

....right below a clandestine stand .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old August 27, 2011, 05:57 AM   #10
jgcoastie

What are the tags made of? A paper tag isn't very sturdy, even if laminated.

I would suggest having dog tags made with the info on them, then rivet the tag to the stand... Much more likely to stand up to the elements than a laminated paper tag.

That's how our club in MS does it, works very well. Everybody can have their own tags made, as long as they follow the same ID type.

"JQP001" = First, middle, and last initial (John Q. Public), 001 tag.

All the tag ID's and their posted locations are kept in a log by the club treasurer and president.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old August 27, 2011, 01:31 PM   #11
LSnSC

All of our stands are first come first served. We have a map board with the stand locations marked. Members pick the stand they want and hang a tag with their name on it. That stand / area is theirs for the day. If they want to use a portable, thats fine but it has to come out with you. We dont have any trespass issues.
Old August 29, 2011, 02:33 PM   #12
publius

We put up our stands together usually. The locations are known to everyone and they belong to the club. There are no "personal" stands. We know our neighbors and have never had any problems with trespassers, maybe some road shooting from time to time but you can't do anything about that. Only time I ever had trouble was on a property line of some land owned by absentee owners. Some redneck was about 100 yds. on our place. We nicely asked him to leave and he refused. I called the Sheriff, who I know, with his tag number and told him not to pull a squad car all the way up to their gate because there might be a bunch of roofing nails on the ground