The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2010, 01:48 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

How to buy used police 870

Many suggest for my needs buying a used police shotgun over a new remington express, but just how do I find one? I have tried googling and some say buy one online from a dealer you trust but I note that at least one of the large online dealers doesn't ship to California. And if they did, FFL fees are ridiculous.

Others warn against buying a used police gun online.

I believe there was a time that local pds would auction off their guns, but that may no longer be politically correct.

Can you give me some ideas as to how to best go about buying a used 870P. Is this something that may be worth paying one of the better guns shops a premium for?

Thanks.
Old December 26, 2010, 02:10 PM   #2
PawPaw

Check your local pawn shops. From time to time, police agencies sell off old shotguns to make way for new ones.

Police shotguns are carried much, shot little. Most of them are rough on the outside but pristine on the inside. The last one I bought, I paid about $200.00 for and it's a fine shotgun, just rough on the outside.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 26, 2010, 02:17 PM   #3
silvercorvette

Quote:
Check your local pawn shops.
I don't remember seeing any pawn shops when I lived on L.I N.Y, but here in S.C there are dozens of them. I guess it depends where you live.
Old December 26, 2010, 03:56 PM   #4
BudW

Try Buds guns on line or cabellas
Old December 26, 2010, 04:57 PM   #5
JNewell

Yes to the post above but be advised that I have found few places online that are so consistently "fully priced" as Cabela's gun library.
Old December 26, 2010, 05:00 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

They do have pawn shops in south cal but it is kind of difficult to check with them. I saw something a week ago that was sold when I called.

I don't believe cabellas will sell to CA and buds won't ship "defensive shotgus", whatgever that means. Then most dealers kill you with outrageous FFL fees, but it's a possibility. I want to see before I buy.
Old December 26, 2010, 10:05 PM   #7
Scattergun Bob

TheKlawMan

This is a good time of year to ask this question.

1st - you do not have to buy a used 870 Police Magnum, you can buy a new one. Here is the deal, each year the Police Services line at Remington produces a set amount of "LE" guns, some young market manager at Remington looks at last years sales and predicts the % of growth for the following year. If those goals are not met, the over stock is offered to Remington LE sales business first and then the remainder are offered to Remington dealers. Will you get a great deal on these guns, probably not, will you get a new scattergun that is the best Remington can produce, YES. This is the time of the year that the guns are offered to the public dealers.

2nd - Google Remington Law Enforcement Dealers in your part of the world, there should be several in Soc Cal, call them and see what stock they have. They may have some Police trade in scatterguns on hand if you just have to have a police model at a price point.

As always, "buyer be ware" when buying used equipment.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old December 27, 2010, 09:12 AM   #8
rdmallory

Buds is out of the police 870s last week. They were selling them for $279 in the store when they sold out. Sill had a hundred or so of the Mini 14s left.

Doug
Old December 27, 2010, 09:51 AM   #9
rantingredneck

I've bought 2.

One was from Buds for 279.00. An 870 Magnum with 20" RS IC barrel and speedfeed stocks.

The other was from Arrington's Police Supply (now Streicher's) in Greensboro NC. It was a 2 3/4" only Wingmaster gun with 18" CYL barrel and wood stocks (that looked like crap). I got it for 179.00. The wood was easily and cheaply replaced. the rest of the gun itself was in very good shape.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old December 27, 2010, 09:52 AM   #10
rantingredneck

Streicher's doesn't have any CA locations but maybe another police supply company has a showroom nearby with an FFL to deal in used police guns?

Old December 27, 2010, 12:01 PM   #11
357 Python

As Scattergun Bob said check on the cost of a new one. Remington offers a standard wood stock, 20 inch rifle sight barrel, and 3 shot extended magazine. The Remington stock number is 24888. A couple of years ago I checked Dick's Sporting Goods and they could order it at that time. Check your local area stores to see if they can get you a new one.
Old December 28, 2010, 02:07 PM   #12
deadcoyote

There's really no difference between a normal 870 and a Police Magnum anywho, just make sure it has the proper forearm for doing reloads with the action open. My issue 870 says Wingmaster on it if it makes you feel any better
Old December 28, 2010, 06:56 PM   #13
rantingredneck

If by normal 870 you mean 870 express, then no, I'm sorry but you are mistaken.

There are quite a few differences internally between the 870 express and 870 police.

machined extractor, metal trigger guard, upgraded springs, better fit and finish, better QC. There's a list of differences floating around the interwebz somewhere that came straight from Remington detailing the differences (and thus justifying the jump in price).

Many issue 870's say Wingmaster on the side I suppose as they were likely bought pre-"Police Magnum".

Got one myself that was an Asheville, NC PD gun before they upgraded.

Old December 28, 2010, 10:28 PM   #14
Logs

www.budsgunshop.com had many used 870 Police Magnums for $299 some with speed stocks that hold extra ammo.
Old December 29, 2010, 01:19 AM   #15
TheKlawMan

I tried buying an 870 at Big 5 today buy have to go back since the manager was out and he was the only one that knew how to sell a gun not in stock. The model I want is the 7 shot (6 + 1 with an 18" barrel) and all they had in stock was an 8 (7 +1 with a 20"). From what I have seen, a shell can be chambered through the ejection port with the action open, if that is what deadcoyote means. (The upper aft portion of the forestock is cut dows so that the ejection port is not blocked when the action is open.)

If anyone cares to know, the difference between the two models being sold at Big 5 is one is an 870 18" with a 2 shell magazine extension and the other is a 20 incher with a 3 shell extension.
Old December 29, 2010, 08:06 PM   #16
TheKlawMan

Bought the 870 6 +1 with the regular bead sight on the Big 5 special.
Old December 29, 2010, 08:30 PM   #17
zippy13

Did you get the $10 discount for signing-up for their e-Mails?
Old December 29, 2010, 10:53 PM   #18
TheKlawMan

No, zippy. I tried and it wasn't just $10 but a 10% coupon. Until recently it applied to firearms but the current coupons exclude firearms and ammo. I will say this for the people at Big 5. They meant well if they literally didn't know what they were selling, which is why I let you and others educate me as to what I should go after. Thanks. (I have yet to tell the wife I actually did the deed.)
Old December 31, 2010, 09:33 PM   #19
DanB

Oklahoma Police Supply in Tulsa, OK from time to time will have some in stock.

Just like Buds Gun Shop they go quick.

You just have to be diligent about searching. If you are just wanting a Police Magnum 870 then just order one or bid on Gunbroker. That is where I found mine.

Tags
870p , police , salvage