The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 23, 2008, 09:29 PM   #1
RetiredMajor

What should I look for when buying a used shotgun?

Any tips or suggestions would be great! I don't have an opportunity to shoot it before I buy. I'm looking at a used Remington 870. It is the Express model with the two shot extension. Otherwise, no accessories. The shipping box has a date of February 8, 2008. The gun looks vitually brand new, but I admit I'm far from an expert on shotguns. The price is $275, out the door.

Thanks in advance,
Major
Old December 23, 2008, 10:15 PM   #2
JonnyReb

Well that just sounds like one heck of a deal! Only thing i could add is that the 870 shows usage by way of bluing removed on the bolt carrier arms. If they show much silver, its had some rounds through it....J.R.
Old December 24, 2008, 08:57 AM   #3
charles isaac

Good Morning Sir!

I think they are the best of the pump shotguns, but they are plentiful and sell cheap sometimes, lots of deals out there! Go ahead and take a look at this one, and depending on the make, you can pick up the mag extender for about $20.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=327163
Old December 24, 2008, 12:11 PM   #4
BigJimP

The seller probably won't let you completely strip it down - but at the very least:
a. I would remove the barrel so you can look the chamber and the barrel connection over carefully.

b. That will expose the inside of the receiver a little bit / so you can see the bolt head clearly / if there is any crud inside the receiver / on the rails where the bolt assembly runs, etc.

c. If the gun is not very clean and well lubed - or if there are any rust or corrosion spots - then I would pass on this gun.

d. If it all looks good at that point / then its general outside condition is important. These guns are readily available new / with no scratches - so if there are any cosmetic scratches, it should be discounted accordingly - or again, I would pass.

e. What does it come with - are there screw in chokes in the barrel ( if there are, on step one, take the choke out look to see if its clean and lubed, and see if the threads in the barrel are ok - and clean and lubed. If the choke will not come out easily - pass on this gun / or discount it a lot. See if he has any extra chokes for the gun.

f. Price / know what the gun sells for brand new - just as it is / gunsamerica, your local shop is better, etc $ 275 isn't a big discount on that gun based on what I see around here even if its virtually new.
Old December 24, 2008, 12:25 PM   #5
zippy13

$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP
f. Price / know what the gun sells for brand new - just as it is / gunsamerica, your local shop is better, etc $ 275 isn't a big discount on that gun based on what I see around here even if its virtually new.
What should you be looking for in a used gun?.. You should be looking for a great gun at a great price!

Did you see bigghoos' post yesterday?
Quote:
I love pawn shops at the holidays. went in and found this Remington 870 express magnum 12 ga. it has a 25" barrel and came with a removable Remington modified choke tube. and in case you didn't realize I only paid $129 out the door