The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 14, 2000, 12:23 AM   #1
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I will be traveling later this year. If I see something of interest at a gun store in a state like TN, can I buy a shotgun there (from an FFL)?

------------------
Oleg "peacemonger" Volk

http://www.a-human-right.com
http://www.olegvolk.net
Old October 14, 2000, 08:56 AM   #2
M1911

Provided you obey the laws of both the state of the gun store and the state of your residence, yes, you can buy a long gun out of state (from an FFL).

M1911
Old October 14, 2000, 03:04 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Buying from an FFL: You can buy a long gun in any state. You can buy a handgun in the states adjacent to your home state.

Something I'm not sure of: For a handgun purchase from an FFL, I know that here in Texas with my CHL I do not have to wait for the NICS. I don't know if my CHL does me any good in New Mexico or Oklahoma, with respect to NICS.

Now, Louisiana recognizes Texas' CHLs. Does this mean that I would not have to wait on NICS, for a purchase in Louisiana?

Art
Old October 14, 2000, 08:41 PM   #4
M1911

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Art Eatman:
Buying from an FFL: You can buy a long gun in any state. You can buy a handgun in the states adjacent to your home state.
[/quote]

No, you cannot buy a handgun outside of your home state. Or rather, you can buy a handgun from any FFL, but you cannot take possession of the gun from the FFL if the FFL is not in your state of residence. The out-of-state FFL will have to transfer it to an FFL in your home state. Then you will pay a fee to the FFL in your home state, fill out the 4473, and do a NICS check if necessary.

But you cannot just go to a gun store out of state and buy a handgun.

It USED to be that you could buy a long gun from an FFL in adjacent states. But that was changed so that you can buy a long gun from an FFL in any state.

M1911

[This message has been edited by M1911 (edited October 14, 2000).]
Old October 15, 2000, 02:21 AM   #5
SpazzTrap

Here in California, they told me that I had to have a valid California ID to buy and take possesion of a shotgun. Is this right? I still have my Ohio DL and they said that was no good.

10 day wait too...nice...like I'm gonna knock of a 7-11 with a 900 dollar Beretta SG..