The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 16, 2021, 05:49 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Barrel lead times

Anyone here know if a barrel maker that has a wait time of less than 5 months? Would like to rebarrel my Ruger American and be ready to shoot by this spring. Right now Shilen, Preferred and Criterion have 16-20 week wait times
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 16, 2021, 06:12 PM   #2
ballardw

Suggest that you provide the parameters for the barrel of interest.
Match grade?
Caliber?
Chambered or just rifled? (get local gunsmith to ream the chamber, may be quicker. Maybe)
Barrel contour?
Old February 16, 2021, 06:15 PM   #3
MarkCO

Blanks are taking about 4 to 6 weeks to be delivered to smiths. I'd find a good local smith to spin up a barrel for you. While I am in Denver and there are three here I know of that are still taking work, a few in the south, I bet you can find one near you that can take good care of you. Ask your LGS who is good and who they recommend to get a start on it.
Old February 16, 2021, 08:48 PM   #4
Nathan

Try bugholes.com or Kreiger Direct. They usually have something close. Also, look around. There are a lot of blanks for sale on forums. I just bought a Hart HV (regular) 14 tw 6mm....paid $300 to my door.
Old February 16, 2021, 09:32 PM   #5
51cskipper

Check with Wayne York at Oregunsmithing
tel:541-278-4177

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/Abo...-Services.html
Old February 16, 2021, 11:12 PM   #6
kilotanker22

For a Ruger American, 26", 6.5 Creedmoor, threaded muzzle.
No taper .850".

I guess I could probably chamber it myself. Muzzle and tennon threads I do not have the tools to cut though.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 17, 2021, 12:53 PM   #7
Nathan

I order the blank, then send whole thing to my gunsmith of choice
Old February 17, 2021, 01:01 PM   #8
RC20

I would go with Northern Shooters Supply (NSS)

I ordered a barrel myself from Shilen then two Shilen from NSS. I am getting the two from NSS this week. Price is better and its a lot faster.

The barrel I ordered on my own is another month away.

Yes there is still a a wait but its the fastest I know of. NSS also reps Criterion but that was a longer time line.
Old February 17, 2021, 01:25 PM   #9
kilotanker22

I called Preferred Barrel Blanks and they said a blank is only 2-4 weeks wait.
Gunsmith said that the work is a 6 week wait
– St. Augustine
Old February 17, 2021, 05:49 PM   #10
Scorch

You can try McGowen barrels, their lead time is about 10 weeks and they can also rebarrel it for you.

Lilja takes about 13 weeks.

Shilen is running about 12-13 weeks.

Just bought a Douglas about 2 months ago, it was delivered in 5 weeks. I threaded and chambered it, it's sitting on the bench right next to me.

Green Mountain Barrels sells blanks, taking about 3 weeks last time I ordered one.

You can buy Bartlein barrels from Grizzly.com.

ER Shaw makes barrels, but I can't tell you what their lead time is since I don't use Shaw barrels.

You will have to find a smith to rebarrel it once you have the blank in hand.
Old February 17, 2021, 08:38 PM   #11
RC20

Quote:
For a Ruger American, 26", 6.5 Creedmoor, threaded muzzle.
No taper .850".

I guess I could probably chamber it myself. Muzzle and tennon threads I do not have the tools to cut though.
That is why I went with Savage though you can get a Remage as well in pre fit.

Changing a barrel and head space it is a piece of cake (with the right tools and knowledge)

I know some of the chassis also have pre fit but don't know what the American setup is.
Old February 18, 2021, 12:32 AM   #12
kilotanker22

My American setup is:
Ruger American Go Wild
Chamber polished, bore and lugs lapped
Boyd's AT One stock with AICS bottom metal
20 MOA base, Vortex Precision rings
Spring kit in the trigger brought it down to 2 pounds
– St. Augustine
Old February 18, 2021, 06:41 PM   #13
std7mag

Shaw is typically 8-12 weeks.

I'm hearing Douglas is having some fast turn around times.

I prefer people don't use the "junk Shaw barrels".
Lets me do groups like this.
200 meters, 5 shots, bipod, rear bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0104211426_copy_576x1024.jpg (171.3 KB, 36 views)

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...

Last edited by std7mag; February 18, 2021 at 06:46 PM.
Old February 18, 2021, 10:28 PM   #14
kilotanker22

I decided to change lanes and rebarrel my Savage 110 instead. I was able to find a Criterion Pre-fit barrel in MTU contour from Northland Shooter Supply.
– St. Augustine
Old February 18, 2021, 11:02 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

If you are willing to order at least 1,000 units, I know a (well known, well respected) company that can get you taken care of in about 7 weeks.
There's just that sticky little problem of paying for and dealing with the other 999.
Old February 20, 2021, 09:53 AM   #16
stagpanther

Quote:
I decided to change lanes and rebarrel my Savage 110 instead. I was able to find a Criterion Pre-fit barrel in MTU contour from Northland Shooter Supply.
Good move--Criterions are great for ready-to-go prefits and James will take care of you. I just ordered a custom match shilen from NSS.
Old February 20, 2021, 06:44 PM   #17
RC20

Agreed. Amazing a pre fit was available, country has been sucked dry for everything.

I have 3 headed this way.
Old February 27, 2021, 11:33 PM   #18
kilotanker22

Got the barrel in and installed. Hopefully the weather is nice tomorrow so I can shoot it
– St. Augustine
Old February 28, 2021, 05:11 PM   #19
RC20

I am waiting for something in the 35 degree range, tired of freezing my feet.

Two barrels in town, one a month off, sigh. Its the one I want right now to assemble the build of the 6.5 Lapua.

note: doing this again I would go with 6.5 CM. More brass choice and Large Pocket primers. Good news was I have some stock of Small Rifle and my brother sold me enough to keep going for some time. Plenty of powder stocked up (I call it the Powder Magazine now)
Old February 28, 2021, 09:30 PM   #20
kilotanker22

It was 35 degrees here today. I tried the same load I have used in several rifles with good results. This barrel shoots pretty well, I am sure it will shoot better once I have tuned the seating depth.

I picked up 120 fps vs the same load in my 22" barreled Ruger, and about 80 fps over the 24" barrel that this 26" replaced. I shot 3 5 round groups sub moa and a ten round group sub moa as well.
– St. Augustine
Old February 28, 2021, 09:38 PM   #21
kilotanker22

I decided to keep the original Savage Accustock that the rifle came with, because I like the stock and have been shooting it for a couple years.

For future reference, the precision ground recoil lug from Northland Shooter's Supply will not fit the Savage Accustock without some considerable modification. I had to mill a fair amount of the aluminum out of the recoil lug area. I had to mill the bottom, sides and make the recess longer.
I felt as though this may degrade the strength of the aluminum so I decided to also glass bed the recoil lug into the stock. When I did this, I also filled the first few inches in front of the lug and a little behind the lug. This was to reinforce the aluminum and make up for the metal I milled away.

The MTU profile barrel also made contact with the stock in several locations due to it being much heavier than the factory barrel. I took a 1 inch wooden dowel and wrapped sand paper around it. Then sanded the barrel channel until I could float the entire barrel.
Overall, I am very pleased with this Criterion barrel. For the cost they seem to be very good quality. I also had a great deal of fun putting this project together.
– St. Augustine
Old March 1, 2021, 06:04 AM   #22
stagpanther

I've found that most precision lugs that are trued are generally slightly larger in dimensions than stock savage ones, so the lug inlet usually does need work--though they pop right into MTD chassis with no issues. I've also found I have to be careful with the pins on the lug that fit in the slot of the receiver in some of the lugs they are simply screwed on with small screws, I've sheared one off in a receiver vice when torquing the barrel nut.
Old March 1, 2021, 06:11 AM   #23
stagpanther

Quote:
Shaw is typically 8-12 weeks.

I'm hearing Douglas is having some fast turn around times.

I prefer people don't use the "junk Shaw barrels".
Shaws are quite good for production barrels, I've bought some through EA Brown since they seem to be a major dealer of their prefits. Not the same league as a Criterion IMO, but I've shot some bitty groups with my Shaws as well when I'm on my game (which isn't very often LOL).
Old March 1, 2021, 07:39 AM   #24
kilotanker22

I am pretty satisfied with the Criterion barrel I purchased. The price is right and they seem to be good quality
– St. Augustine
Old March 1, 2021, 01:55 PM   #25
RC20

As near as I can tell Criterion rates right up there with Shilen. Very good barrel at a decent price.

I was going to order one but the wait time was a lot longer than Shilen.

One I am debating is Preferr3ed Barrels, they offer a 7.5 Swiss chamber vs trying to work through Shilen that I supply the reamer.