The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 30, 2018, 05:16 PM   #1
ReloadKy

good deal or not ?

So ironically, after posting last night about pawn shop purchases I got out of meeting way early today so I decided to check out a pawn shop in town. I found a Ruger American in 308 (I have been looking for a 308) with a Redfield 3x9x40 scope on it. The rifle had very few blemishes on it, bolt cycled well, magazine was intact. The owner wanted $250 for it. Good deal or not in the minds of the respected members of The Firing Line?
Old August 30, 2018, 05:26 PM   #2
PatientWolf

I can't speak for the respected members, but in my opinion, it would have to be almost like new for that price, but that also depends on what Redfield scope is on it. I'd be seeing if he'd take 200.

The Ruger American is a great gun in its price range and even a little above, but I'm guessing you may see it for not much more than that without the scope on a good sale.
Old August 30, 2018, 05:31 PM   #3
TXAZ

1) Depends if that's what you really want / need. (As in a new tuxedo for $5 isn't a deal if you never use it)
2) Depends if it shoots well
3) If you look at gunbroker, many sell for $350-500, depending upon the style / options

My concern would be the precision / repeatability of the rifle, and would want a 10 shot trial from a pawn shop.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 30, 2018, 07:41 PM   #4
Mobuck

There are some "Redfield" scopes that aren't the best quality. If it's a Denver Redfield the package is priced quite reasonably.
Old August 30, 2018, 08:15 PM   #5
ReloadKy

I told the owner if he would take $200 it was a deal but he wouldn't come off of the $250. It is sometimes hard for me to justify buying a "budget" rifle used from a pawn shop when they are pretty well priced brand new.
Old August 30, 2018, 08:31 PM   #6
bamaranger

deal

Without the scope, that is still about $100 below retail. I'd call that a deal if the condition is as clean as you say. The Ruger American is getting lots of good press as a tackdriver. A "new" Redfield as made in UsA again (see below) sells $175-200 and would further the value of the deal. If it is an older Redfield, read on.

The Redfied scope is a bonus that could be a real plus or just so-so. A "Denver" USA Redfield is going to be an older scope,.... and could be much older. They were well respected in their day, and many are still afield, ( I have one on a rifle myself) but a Denver Redfield will date back to 1998 or before. If it is a 1970's or 80's model, you are looking at an optic that is 30-40 yrs old, and glass quality/coatings though not poor, is not up to par with a decent current scope. Not unusable, but not cutting edge either. You could have an issue with the seals as well. If you hunt an older Redfield (or any older scope for that matter) realize the seals could go south at an inopportune time. In '98 Redfield closed after EPA issues I think.

For about 10 years, till 2008, the Redfield name was still out there, but the scopes were little more than imports and about the equal of all the other Asian import scopes like Simmons, Tasco and Bushnell. In 2008, Leupold bought Redfield, and the scope is made in USA again today. Most early scopes are Denver or USA marked Current Redfields that I have examined, as run by Leupold, have a big Red R on the side, and there is no missing it. I put the current Big R Redfields in the same class as the Burris scopes and entry level Leupolds and Nikons, and would not hesitate to hunt one, but I dislike that big R lablel on the side.
Old August 30, 2018, 08:42 PM   #7
std7mag

It's all in how you perceive it.
As for me, i probably would have filed my paperwork. Lol

If it's a 4-12 Redfield Revenge with Varmint Accuranger reticle, then yeah it would be sitting at my house now. And i'd be looking for a buyer for the rifle. Lol

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 30, 2018, 08:57 PM   #8
ReloadKy

This looks like newer Redfield to me I am just not exactly sure of the model. It does not have any scratches on it like it has been out in the woods and beat up. I am thinking it is a revenge based on the the Redfield website.
Old August 31, 2018, 07:13 AM   #9
jmr40

The newer Redfield Revolution scopes are rebadged Leupold VX-1 scopes. The Redfield sells for about $20 less, but it is the same scope and that alone is worth something. The newer Redfield Revenge has been discontinued. They were made in Asia somewhere and are a much lower quality scope. But the rifle is worth $250 without any optics on it.

Here is a combo package selling the same rifle, and a comparable Vortex scope for $529. I'd say $250 was a steal. The rifle alone is $350-$400 new in most places.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-1746

Quote:
Redfield 3x9x40 scope on it.
Nobody makes a 3X9X40 scope. It is a 3-9X40 scope. There is a huge difference. What you are describing is a scope with 3X magnification and 9X magnification with nothing in between and a 40mm objective. A 3-9X40 scope describes a variable scope with a magnification range between 3X to 9X with a 40mm objective.

Winston Churchill
Old August 31, 2018, 03:18 PM   #10
ReloadKy

3-9x40 is what I meant to type. I’m debating on going back up there to buy it.
Old August 31, 2018, 04:01 PM   #11
RC20

Its a very good price regardless of the scope.

The Scope may or may not be a realy good one, the Revolu8tion is Loeupold made (or assemlbed) USA. The Revenge (no longer imported) was a Philipae assemlded scope.

Still a solid $150 scope (discounted used) and it has Leopold warranty for both. If its the Revolution its a really solid hunting scope. I have two on family heirloom and still hunting rifles.

The package is worth a good $400, I don't blame the seller for refusing the offer.

Actually, when you get one that good a prices (understood you don't know but research before offer) its down right insulting. I have on occasion refused to sell to people that did that, I would even take less from someone else.
Old August 31, 2018, 04:14 PM   #12
std7mag

Alas, the Revenge, AND the Revolution were both made in the Philipines.

While being "lower budget" scopes both had decent glass. Not great, but decent for the price point.
The biggest thing going for them is their ability to range animals with the scope.
After learning how to use it, i can range with my Revenge to about 20 yards vs my rangefinder.
And if you shoot 7mm-08 with a tipped boat tail in the 140gr class, the BDC matches up almost perfectly.

One side note is that Redfield recommended zeroing them at 200 yards.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old September 1, 2018, 07:03 AM   #13
J.G. Terry

Not so good a find: I had gotten a deal that included a older Redfield 4x Wideview scope. Bubba had sealed the turret caps with pipe dope. Otherwise, the scope looked OK. Quickly discovered that it was necessary to have any work done by private scope repair folks. This situation has made me cautious since such a deal can go south quickly. The last scope cleaned and repaired here was $250.00.
Old September 1, 2018, 10:35 AM   #14
ReloadKy

Update - I went in this morning and was able to get a better look at the scope with a light. (Poor lighting in the store) It is a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40. The owner said it was mine for 250 out the door. I bought it and had already loaded up some 150 gr Ballistic Silvertips with 43 gr Varget pushing it. My first four shots produced a group of 0.827 inches. I was stoked! I am thinking I got a good find. I am going to adjust the trigger a bit and I am betting I can do better than that 4 shot group.
Old September 1, 2018, 12:27 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

MSRP on an American is $489.00 without sights. $639.00 with a factory installed Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 scope. Scope's MSRP is $199.99.
Opticsplanet wants $209.99 for that Redfield.
Isn't an ugly price.
"...had already loaded up some..." You must work up the load for that rifle. Not just pick a load and hope. And 43 grains of Varget is 1 grain under current minimum for a 150. Isn't enough to worry about though. Difference in manuals will do that.
"...can do better than that 4 shot group..." .827" is nothing to sneeze at, but just adjusting the trigger will do little. Work up the load first.
Old September 1, 2018, 01:05 PM   #16
ReloadKy

T. I have 308 reloading components so I loaded up some rounds. The minimum in the Nosler manual for the 150 gr. ballistic slivertip was 42.5 gr of Varget. I wanted to start with a round number so went with 43 gr and under the max COAL. Loads chambered well and shot even better.

Side note - after I got the rifle home and cleaned it up my wife says "I thought you were buying a used rifle, that rifle looks brand new"
Old September 1, 2018, 02:59 PM   #17
DaleA

New Gun Day (NGD) is always a treat for those of us who live vicariously through the lives of others so CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Now take a few days off from shooting and figure out how to post pictures here and show us what you got.

Again, congratulations.

P.S. I am an avowed Ruger fan and one of my old rifles (a .270) has a Redfield 3-9x (goodness I hope I typed that right!) scope that is still working after 30+ years so I think you got an excellent deal.
Old September 1, 2018, 03:37 PM   #18
PatientWolf

Congratulations. I hope you enjoy it and that it works as well for you as others.
Old September 4, 2018, 10:48 AM   #19
5whiskey

Quote:
New Gun Day (NGD) is always a treat for those of us who live vicariously through the lives of others so CONGRATULATIONS!!!
That is the truth! Luckily for me I've actually had two this year, and didn't even have to trade anything to boot!

To the OP, sounds like you got a steal bud. Great find and congrats.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old September 4, 2018, 05:15 PM   #20
ReloadKy

Thanks a lot! After I took the stock off and adjusted the trigger a bit I took it back out to shoot. I was able to put two shots right on top of one another right where I wanted them. I am pretty pleased with the rifle and how well it shoots.
Old September 4, 2018, 05:36 PM   #21
NHSHOOTER

Congrats on the new rifle and I am glad it shoots so well for you, I just purchased a new scope for my Rem model 7, mounted it and within 4 shots it was hitting bullseyes at 100yds..I know how your feeling!!!!
Old September 4, 2018, 08:18 PM   #22
ReloadKy

A piece of me deep down inside wishes it did not shoot my first reloads so well, I wanted something to work on!!