The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 11, 2018, 04:28 PM   #26
spacemanspiff

But Linestretcher did not say that a member here may be breaking the law. He said the shop that bought the inventory may run into trouble if they fail to disclose the details to a customer.

Reading comprehension. Its not just a river in Egypt.
Old September 11, 2018, 05:09 PM   #27
eastbank

and what trouble would that be, failing to disclose that he bought them at Walmart. sounded like the dealer may get into trouble with who. the law if he didn,t tell where he got them. and that's not true.
Old September 12, 2018, 08:48 AM   #28
pkevinb

I'd be upset if I bought a rifle and found that the dealer purchased it retail rather than a supplier. I would consider it to be pre-owned and not new regardless if it had been fired or not.
Old September 12, 2018, 10:23 AM   #29
Doyle

Quote:
I'd be upset if I bought a rifle and found that the dealer purchased it retail rather than a supplier. I would consider it to be pre-owned and not new regardless if it had been fired or not.
Why? Do you get upset when you buy a new car that your dealer has acquired from another dealer?
Old September 12, 2018, 12:08 PM   #30
eastbank

would you be upset if the car dealer-gun shop offered you a better price than the other car dealer-gun shop who had the new car-rifle first? who knows what makes Walmart sell their items at less that MSRP, and they do it on lots of items every day at Walmart. it does not make sense to me, but if I am there when the discount is tagged I would buy it-them if I wanted them or could make a dollar selling them and as a ffl its legal for him to do that. it may be illeagal for me or you to do that, but not a ffl. who knows, the ffl may even sell the rifles at a very good price to his customers. I think some of this is sour grapes that they didn,t get in on the discounted sales.

Last edited by eastbank; September 12, 2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old September 12, 2018, 03:28 PM   #31
spacemanspiff

Sour grapes? Linestretcher is the one who posted this thread!

Good grief.
Old September 12, 2018, 08:50 PM   #32
LineStretcher

After putting the Hogue stock on the .308 and feeling the difference I decided to order one for the 243 and the 270. I also changed the trigger on the .308 to a Timney and changed the rings to Leupold PRW2 mids. I also changed the rail base and put the night force bases on all three. The 243 and 270 got 3x9 Vortex Diamondbacks, the 308 has the Swarovski X5 and I took the Leupold VX3 off the Mark V and put a Vortex Diamonback HP 4X16 on it. All 4 are now ready for break in next week. Several range trips will be needed but I think it will be worth it. I have no intention of selling mine. If I ever decide to I will tell the buyer where I got them and ask a price that is appropriate. Why, because that's what honest people do.

The pic is my Mark V with the new scope. The 4" sun shade is a little bit much. I took it off.

Last edited by LineStretcher; September 12, 2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old September 13, 2018, 07:41 AM   #33
Doyle

Linestretcher, essentially what you wound up buying from Walmart was a barreled action that came with extra parts you could sell.
Old September 13, 2018, 10:12 AM   #34
pkevinb

I didn't think of it that way, and you're anolgy is absolutely correct. And as far as I know there is nothing illegal in doing that. Also, I'm not interested in the rifle so I have no interest one way or the other. Thanks for your post Doyle.
Old September 13, 2018, 11:50 AM   #35
LineStretcher

Doyle said:
Quote:
Linestretcher, essentially what you wound up buying from Walmart was a barreled action that came with extra parts you could sell.
Yep and I got them cheap.. LOL.. I never sell parts, I collect them and just build more storage space as needed, LOL. I guess I'm a parts hoarder...

I'm just about maxed out with what I would want to invest in the .308. I haven't shot it yet but I'm pretty confident it will shoot well.
Old September 13, 2018, 08:21 PM   #36
LineStretcher

Here's a comparison of the hogue and the Vanguard. The Hogue is bedded the Vanguard is not.

All three of my Vanguards now have fully bedded stocks. I'll have more money in the .308 but the other two are 463.00 Weatherby Vanguard rifles now that are better than the average Vanguard and still less money.

Last edited by LineStretcher; September 13, 2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old September 14, 2018, 01:18 PM   #37
LineStretcher

The .308 is done, sort of. I'm not fond of the plastic Howa 1500 Trigger guard. I know where to get one in steel and I may do that.
Old September 19, 2018, 03:57 PM   #38
LineStretcher

Got out to the range and the wind was blowing 10 to 20 mph. I broke the rifle in according to Weatherbys 10 rounds clean between each and the 30 rounds of 3 round groups cleaning between each group.

The rifle shot very nice and the Hogue stock was very comfortable. It was a good upgrade. I'm very happy with the rifle. Is it a precision rifle? I'm not sure but it did pretty darn good.

The pic attached is the last 3 round group at 26 yards. With the wind blowing it didnt make any sense to try a 100 yard sight in. I was shooting plain Jane Winchester 150 g Power Points. Now that it's broken in I'll work up some Nosler Balistic Tips and Accubonds and see how it does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .308.jpg (149.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by LineStretcher; September 19, 2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old September 19, 2018, 09:55 PM   #39
ifithitu

Sweet looking rifle.