The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 11, 2013, 07:55 PM   #1
JustinBiscuit

Proposed NFA Form Changes

From - http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-form-changes/

From According to the Office of Information and Regulatory Affiars a series of changes are being proposed to the NFA transfer process (the process involved in acquiring a machine gun, suppressor, short barreled rifle/shotgun, etc.). These changes will:

Eliminate the requirement of a law enforcement official to sign your forms
Require each responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a specified form 1 or 4
Require each member of a trust to complete and to submit photographs and fingerprints with forms
Require that a copy of all forms be forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer of the locality in which the maker or transferee is located
This series of proposed changes seemingly eliminates the benefits of forming an “NFA Trust”, a popular way to easily facilitate navigating the difficult NFA process. The elimination of the dreaded law enforcement signature for individuals however is a definite benefit.

According to the Office of Information and Regulatory Affiars a series of changes are being proposed to the NFA transfer process (the process involved in acquiring a machine gun, suppressor, short barreled rifle/shotgun, etc.). These changes will:

Eliminate the requirement of a law enforcement official to sign your forms
Require each responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a specified form 1 or 4
Require each member of a trust to complete and to submit photographs and fingerprints with forms
Require that a copy of all forms be forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer of the locality in which the maker or transferee is located
This series of proposed changes seemingly eliminates the benefits of forming an “NFA Trust”, a popular way to easily facilitate navigating the difficult NFA process. The elimination of the dreaded law enforcement signature for individuals however is a definite benefit.
Old January 11, 2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Romeo 33 Delta

I sure like the part about dumpiing the LEO sign-off. My Sheriff is one of those who apparently doesn't like "people like me" having a silencer or a smg. It would be so nice to just file the paperwork and drop him a note saying: Hey ... look what I just got!"

I am also under the impression that the trust route won't work in Wisconsin (just like we can no longer buy "replica" non-firearm firearms ...
Old January 11, 2013, 08:54 PM   #3
JustinBiscuit

I live in Wisconsin and have a trust. Works great. Call Craig at

http://www.kubiaklawoffice.com/

http://www.kubiaklawoffice.com/page14.html
Old January 11, 2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Lark

I think the best reason for a trust is the ability to use multiple trustees. The rest of the requirements suck.

lark
Old January 12, 2013, 07:53 AM   #5
JT-AR-MG42

Hope we hear from some trust members.

I know nothing about trusts.
This reads to me like ATF has the dilemma of all the trusts out there with the partners not being registered, yet still having legal access to the NFA stuff their trust holds.

No way for them to declare the trusts illegal. LOL.
Maybe the dropping of the CLEO is a crumb to get others to not go the trust way.

So, to trust holders. Could you explain the benefits of the trust -excluding the CLEO sign off being waived - to me/us?

How about it Justin? All of my crap is on form 4s so I have never looked into finding what a trust is.

Thanks, JT
Old January 12, 2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Willie Lowman

A trust for many is a way around the CLEO signature. If you read many of the old "I want to get into the NFA game, what do I do" type threads, the first answer most offer is to get a trust. I always thought that was dumb, because there are plenty of CLEOs that will sign and therefore no need to jerk around with a trust.

That said, I got mine so my little lady could legally have access to the safe where my (our) silencers and SBR/SBS are kept along with the rest of her/my title 1 firearms.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:44 PM   #7
tmorone

I definitely wouldn't be a fan of those requirements. Being able to skip the trust route for someone getting their first NFA item (if CLEO won't sign) would be nice, but for people with established trusts fingerprinting would be a nuisance.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:03 PM   #8
medalguy

Another advantage of a trust is that other trustees can have the guns, so my son or daughter can take any of my NFA guns out without me being present. My son does like to shoot my Thompson and coult have it even if I'm not around.

The other advantage, as stated, is that the CLEO does not have to sign off. The fingerprint requirement is a bit of a hassle but I can deal with that. Go to any place that does passport photos and have a dozen or so run off for a few bucks, no problem there.

Remember, the CLEO thing now will be that he is just sent a copy of the approved form, and he doesn't have the opportunity to ignore it and not sign off.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:50 AM   #9
Lark

You can also print out your photo on the ATF form. The local sheriff charges $20 for finger prints, I need to find a different way to get printed. I only have one can, but it is on an individual trust and I do not look forward to the new requirements.

lark
Old January 14, 2013, 11:11 AM   #10
jclayto

So if each person in a trust has to complete a form 4, would each person need to submit a $200 tax payment as well?