The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 1, 2022, 01:52 PM   #26
stagpanther

It's interesting to see what is referred to as "too high magnification"--other mechanical and optical functions might be degraded that are not necessarily an absolute function of the degree of magnification--meaning the same magnification can look very different across a wide range of scopes.
Old June 2, 2022, 11:09 PM   #27
Drm50

I’ve got a Redfield 16x with fine reticle that I use to check out rifles and loads. I would say use the biggest one you have for testing. I just use 16x to see what rifle will do. I even use it on lever actions that will have receiver sight on it if it makes the grade.
Old June 3, 2022, 04:22 PM   #28
Shadow9mm

Thats kind of what i was thinking. Just to test things out and see what they can do. Kinda considering either the primary arms 4-14×44 or the swfa 12×42. Thinking about it 12-14x at 100yds, where i do most of my testing those power ranges have worked well for me in the past.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; June 3, 2022 at 06:07 PM.
Old June 3, 2022, 10:38 PM   #29
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Have three flat shooters here. 270 win 25-06 & a retired 243. All have Vari X 3 Leupold's. All my center fire rifles have been tuned (Bedded trigger work ) I shoot those distances I'm comfortable with. Club range bench-resting for accuracy & practice. Never beyond 250. I am a home reloader been a re-loader for a few years so I have developed custom ammo for each of the rifles (above) Having a good scope is important so is custom made ammo for the rifle. It's a win/ win when having both in the field or at the Range.
Old June 4, 2022, 09:03 AM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
or the swfa 12×42
I have several swfa fixed scopes--they are great for the money, but have their limitations as well. their glass tends to distort at the edges, no big deal for me. One of their biggest advantages is their extra-sharp fine reticle, the little diamonds in particular I find very useful for getting focus/parralax adjusted at long distance. They are built to take punishment--in other words quite heavy. They were unavailabe for a long time--glad to see they are back in stock.
Old June 5, 2022, 07:57 PM   #31
jmr40

Scope quality and a fine reticle are much more important than magnification. Once you get above 10X magnification you start to experience some negatives. Especially with low to mid-level scopes. If you're going to use something with 12X or more magnification you need to bump up quality.

I have a couple of the SWFA fixed 6X scopes. I've shot 4" groups with that scope at 600 yards. I have one mounted on a 22 that I shoot out to 250 yards with.

Most hunting scopes have thicker reticles that are easier to pick up quickly. Especially in low light. But it does make it harder to shoot small groups since they often cover so much of the target.

Winston Churchill
Old June 7, 2022, 05:44 PM   #32
darkgael

Prone smallbore “any sight” matches (160 shots 50 yds., 50 m, 100 yds) frequently employ fixed scopes at 24X to as much as 36X. Winning scores are often perfect with the win taken on Xs.