The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 19, 2022, 09:26 PM   #1
reynolds357

What gun oil for semi auto handgun?

I use Safariland Mil-Spec CLP for carry. 0W20 Pennzoil platinum for the range.
Wondering what everyone else likes to use.
Old March 19, 2022, 10:49 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I use Hornady One Shot for tight areas that I don't plan to disassemble. You can blow in a bunch of it, the liquid carrier evaporates leaving good corrosion protection and dry lubrication in place.

For the rest of it, I have to admit I don't really pay much attention to the type of oil I use. BreakFree CLP gets used a lot, I have some Lucas Extreme CLP, I have some Clenzoil, some of the old Dillon "SnakeOil" which is great for being totally odorless. I have some of the Lubriplate FMO-350AW food grade oil which is nice because it's essentially odorless and also non-toxic. I also have some Mobil 1 handy, although I don't use it much for gun stuff. I also see a can of Ballistol on the cleaning bench as well, although I use that more for a light cleaner than for lubrication although it works for either.

When I'm concerned about the need for more than just light lubrication, I will generally use a very light grease--often a concoction I make myself by mixing BreakFree CLP with very fine moly powder, but also sometimes white lithium grease, Lubriplate SFL-B or Brownell's Action Lube.

In my range bag, I have some BreakFree CLP wipes, some Gunslick wipes and a bottle of BreakFree CLP.

I used to experiment with various gun products and that explains the large variety of products.
Old March 19, 2022, 11:06 PM   #3
Cosmodragoon

Lubriplate FMO 350-AW. Grant Cunningham popularized this oil in his now famous article on lubrication:

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101

I tried it out after reading the article several years ago. It's what I've been using ever since. I also use it in modern folding knife actions and on other EDC gear. It really is excellent.

When this article first was out, the grease and oil mentioned were not regularly available in convenient sizes. Lubrikit answered that call and started providing it, along with other products. That's where I've purchased mine. It is very competitively priced and a single container can last for a very long time. The only other thing I'd recommend is to get a needle-tip bottle from Amazon or the local hobby shop. I've found that very helpful for application.

https://lubrikit.com/store
Old March 20, 2022, 02:38 AM   #4
RickB

I've been using Wilson Combat Ultimalube for about fifteen years.
No complaints . . . but I didn't really have any complaints with any of the lubes I'd used, prior.
When the Ultimalube runs out, I have a bottle of Lucas oil on deck.
Old March 20, 2022, 04:35 AM   #5
darkgael

Oil.

I have been known to use Three in one oil in a pinch. Mainly, though, I use a synthetic, TSI 301…..been using it for years. By the reloading bench I keep a large spray bottle of Break Free CLP, a couple of cans of Ballistol, some Eezox.
Old March 20, 2022, 05:35 AM   #6
CajunBass

Hoppe's Gun Oil.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 20, 2022, 07:01 AM   #7
jetinteriorguy

Slip 2000, amazing stuff. It even works great for cleaning bores. I cleaned my bores with the thick Hoppes and they looked great, patches came out clean. Then I’d run a patch with Slip 2000 just to coat the bore and it would come out dirty. Now I just clean with Slip 2000.
Old March 20, 2022, 07:01 AM   #8
chadio

Summer? Warm temps? Grease - TW25B

Winter? Cold temps? Oil - Hoppy Hopps 9
Old March 20, 2022, 07:06 AM   #9
Shadow9mm

I have tried several over the years. This is my personal list based on my experiences with them.

In testing
clenzoil

Bad
rem oil (poor lubrication and poor rust prevention)

Ok
break free clp
frog lube paste (complicated application)
hoppes
ballistol
eezox (ok lubricant, outstanding rust prevention)

Excellent
weapon shield clp
lucas extreme duty (slightly thicker than most gun oils, stays in place well)
slip 2000 EWL (my #1 at this point, coats things well, stays slick even after being lightly wiped off, no rusting issues so far. but a bit expensive)
Old March 20, 2022, 07:22 AM   #10
Siggy-06

Recently started using Tetra 304i, it has some of the best operation temperatures I've seen as far as gun lube goes. And it stays where you put it pretty well.
Old March 20, 2022, 07:34 AM   #11
Schlitz 45

$/oz it’s hard to beat Mobile 1 5W30. A quart cost less than a tiny 3oz bottle of some of the high dollar gun oil.
Old March 20, 2022, 08:07 AM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz 45 View Post
$/oz it’s hard to beat Mobile 1 5W30. A quart cost less than a tiny 3oz bottle of some of the high dollar gun oil.
I used to use Mobil1. Switched to Pennzoil Platinum when I learned that after M1 lost their lawsuit against Cstrol they reverted to a mixture mainly containing Group 3 base stock, in many of their formulations.
It's still great oil, but group 3 base stock can't offer some of the properties 4 or 5 can.
Old March 20, 2022, 08:20 AM   #13
PSP

I use Militec 1 and Eezox as drylubes. IMHO using dry lube makes clean up easier. Militec 1 also as a general all-over wet lube and TW25b as a grease when called for.
Old March 20, 2022, 08:24 AM   #14
JustJake

Pros-in-the Know use nuthin’ but Slip2000 EWL on their EDC pistols:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/2433311938?pid=816005
Old March 20, 2022, 08:26 AM   #15
FITASC

Valvoline 5W-20 full synthetic; works great
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 20, 2022, 09:36 AM   #16
chadio

All of my guns feel like hot - buttered linoleum
Old March 20, 2022, 10:31 AM   #17
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06 View Post
Recently started using Tetra 304i, it has some of the best operation temperatures I've seen as far as gun lube goes. And it stays where you put it pretty well.
Tetra 304i -100 to 750

slip 2000 EWL -100 to 1250F
Old March 20, 2022, 10:39 AM   #18
pete2

Breakfree CLP on most, Tetra grease on rails of some. Have to use non solvent type oil on Dan Wesson or it messes up the paint, can't remember the name of it right now, FP10 I think.
Old March 20, 2022, 11:23 AM   #19
Shane Tuttle
Staff

In today's market, there are a LOT of good quality oils/greases to choose. It's almost too many...well, for me, anyway.

We have a Staff member here that lives in a hot/humid climate. Last I remember he uses Johnson's Paste Wax on his revolvers and has no issues with rust. Some people I know use the "latest/greatest" oil and they can't keep their guns from forming rust to save their lives.

Two key parameters after all these years that are more important than anything else to combat wear/corrosion is clean after every use and to be thorough.

With that, I have 3 major products I stick with: Eezox for cleaning/protecting. TetraGrease and TetraOil for lubrication. Of all of the tests people have done, Eezox blew every other product out of the water in protection from the elements. Resists fingerprints. Makes cleaning easy. And I can count on it lubricating even though it's not visible (if...IF you prep your gun and apply it correctly the first time). I do add TetraGrease to the slides in a very thin coat. I use TetraOil from time to time as an additional measure.

Bear in mind Eezox has chemicals that may not agree with you. If so, WeaponShield is a fantastic lubricant with a hint of cinnamon smell.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 20, 2022, 11:48 AM   #20
adamBomb

I did a test on various oils for rust a few years back that's worth checking out. I live in the south on the coast so 6 months of the years its crazy hot/humid so I wanted to know which was best. I really should do it again with some new oils to see how they perform. Eezox was by far the best but that stuff has to be the most toxic stuff on the planet lol. I primarily use Breakfree for everything.:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=573499
Old March 20, 2022, 02:06 PM   #21
hub1home

Hoppe's Gun Oil.
Old March 20, 2022, 08:11 PM   #22
rickyrick

Any will do just fine, many people have their favorites, but any gun oil wil be fone.
Old March 21, 2022, 05:48 AM   #23
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
Any will do just fine, many people have their favorites, but any gun oil wil be fone.
Ehhh, maybe not any, but I would say most.
Old March 21, 2022, 06:14 AM   #24
CajunBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Tuttle
We have a Staff member here that lives in a hot/humid climate. Last I remember he uses Johnson's Paste Wax on his revolvers and has no issues with rust. Some people I know use the "latest/greatest" oil and they can't keep their guns from forming rust to save their lives.
I wasn't thinking about the exterior, but I've used nothing but Renaissance Wax on the exterior of my guns for years. Especially my Smith and Wesson and Colt revolvers. Metal and wood. I've used Johnson Paste Wax, and even Pledge furniture polish in a pinch.

Modern semi-auto guns don't seem to need anything. Whatever finish they put on them never seems to rust for me. Others might have a problem, but I never have.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 21, 2022, 07:42 AM   #25
FITASC

This is the most extensive and comprehensive test on gun care/protection I have seen:
https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

46 different products tested and 33 of those were dedicated as gun care products; makes for a good read and some eye-opening results
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa