The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 24, 2022, 07:46 AM   #1
Classic12

HK MARK 23

Finally bought one. It came from an estate, with case, two mags, a B&T suppressor and two lights / laser sights, none of them who fit the pistol. No manual or test target sadly. Price was $ 1550.

This thing is HUGE

Old June 24, 2022, 08:14 AM   #2
Crankylove

Nice. I grew up always wanting one, until I finally laid my hands one one at a shop, and realized just how big the actually are. Way too big for my little girly hands.
Old June 24, 2022, 01:18 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

Those fit great! What you didn't get was the rail adapter
Old June 24, 2022, 02:06 PM   #4
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Those fit great! What you didn't get was the rail adapter

Tell me more please
Old June 25, 2022, 08:28 AM   #5
highpower3006

Several years ago I picked up a USP 45 off of gunbroker for $399. Prior to that I had never really thought too much about them as all my pistols in .45acp were 1911's. My USP 45 is the softest shooting of all my .45acp pistols and it is very accurate. If I ever run across a Mk23 at a reasonable price I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Old June 26, 2022, 09:43 PM   #6
PSP

That was a deal of a lifetime! Both the pistol and a supressor fot that price is insane. How does one go about transfering a supressor in a private sale? I didn't know you could do that.
Great gun to own. One of the most reliable and accurate you could own. Enjoy.
Old June 27, 2022, 09:08 AM   #7
wild cat mccane

Like a gen1 P99, current production Sig P365, S&W Sigma...stupid non standard rail that nothing uses.

GG&G, Lobos, HKparts all make a rail adapter. Your TSL will go on now.

The MX6 might need modification though...
Old June 29, 2022, 10:49 AM   #8
SDDL-UP

SCORE!

The internals on the Mk.23 are AT LEAST 50% beefier than the USP series! Very similar but substantially stronger.

Great find man!
Old June 30, 2022, 07:45 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
GG&G, Lobos, HKparts all make a rail adapter. Your TSL will go on now.
I can’t speak to the Mk. 23, but the GG&G Picatinny rail adapter for the full-size USP45 is an excellent product. The profile is slim and the the form factor with the Surefire X300 I have mounted is perfect - it completely fixes the USP’s proprietary rail.
Old June 30, 2022, 02:27 PM   #10
Classic12

First test at 25 meters, 20 shots without and 30 with the suppressor. Only had abt 25 mins range time after coming back from work, and there was a strong rainstorm just before I started. It was still raining a bit, cloudy and very dark despite being only 7:30 pm. Every club member had left so I had the range for myself.

Without the suppressor, the pistol points very naturally for me, and behind the sights you forget about its size. Weight is manageable too. Ok I have large hands, (and body). The gun is very comfortable to shoot, it absorbs recoil nicely, trigger is fairly light (better than my P8) and breaks cleanly. Gun was very accurate, especially considering I had never shot one.

With the suppressor, it gets very nose heavy and my first shots were a bit low. Noise reduction was good, but strangely the first shot was louder and the subsequent ones much quieter. Accuracy was still good and I think it’s the shooter that mostly opened up the groups. I’ll have to spend more time with it.

I used S&B / Sellier & Bellot 230 gr FMJ

Old June 30, 2022, 08:53 PM   #11
Maver1ck

Great price! While I prefer my UPS .45 Tactical over the Mark 23, I would not hesitate to pick one up for that price!
Old July 26, 2022, 05:06 PM   #12
ks_wayward_son

Weapons and equipment OSP? Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old July 28, 2022, 12:49 AM   #13
IZinterrogator

Quote:
Noise reduction was good, but strangely the first shot was louder and the subsequent ones much quieter.
That's called first round pop, the suppressor contains oxygen that the expanding gases can consume during the first shot. Subsequent shots have less oxygen and more burnt gas in the suppressor, so the expanding gases don't burn as heavily inside the suppressor and make noise doing so.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old August 7, 2022, 05:24 PM   #14
Forte S+W

The H&K Mk23 as well as the USP and HK45 are just incredible pistols. H&K just hit a home run with these designs.

On more than a few occasions, I've had folks comment on my H&K USP45 Elite, asking me what it is, then being shocked that it's such an old design because they thought that it was something brand new by the look of it, which to me indicates just how far ahead of its time the design really was that folks mistake it for a modern pistol.

I don't blame them either, because let's face it, it does have a sort of futuristic look to it. In fact, when I first saw this USP Elite, I myself thought that it was a whole new gun, despite the fact that I was aware of the USP, because the streamlined look of it does indeed make it look like another gun.
However, I must admit that part of my attraction to it was that it sort of reminds me of the Walther PP, like some modern variation of it. So I guess it's sort of retro-futuristic-looking to be precise.

To me, the absolute coolest part about the Mk23 and USP45 is that they can handle .45 Super/.450 SMC right out of the box. I don't believe that there are any other pistols in current production that can take .45 Super without modifications.