The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 13, 2022, 12:21 PM   #1
Boilerjack22

Savage B22 Precision

A while back I bought a Savage B22 FV-SR, to be truthful has been somewhat of a disappointment. It miss feeds at about a 15% rate, usually one to two rounds per mag. I’ve tried various fixes, to no avail, and it’s been back to Savage twice and it’s still the same. I’ve tried 22 different brands/types of ammo, 12 different mags, some stock, others with slight modifications. A great shooter if I can get the round into the chamber, but the miss feeds make it frustrating to shoot. So it sets in the gun safe.

Last week, I happened on a new Savage B22 Precision in a MDT aluminum chassis, very nice looking. I have a Savage Mk II FV in a MDT-LSS RF aluminum chassis, that is an excellent shooter. I saw the Precision and decided to buy it. The first outing was abysmal, the fail to feed rate was roughly 50%, I was so frustrated I was almost in tears. The second outing started out where I had left off, but as the day wore on and my patience’s was waning, the rate started to drop, by the end of the outing I was at the 15-20% miss feed rate, the accuracy was great. Third outing, it took up at the same rate, by the time I had pushed another 500 rounds through it, the rate was almost zero. The fourth outing was a welcome surprise, I ran another 400 rounds through it, without a single miss feed. Saturday, I pushed another 400 rounds through it, without a single issue.

So after approximately 2000 rounds, the Savage, at that time and place, is a great rifle, smooth accurate, comfortable, a great trigger and extremely well balanced. If I did not know better, I would sworn that the rifle I shot the first day, was not the rifle I’m shooting now. The transformation is incredible, from a jam master to a well balanced rifle in roughly a week’s time. I do not know what had to wear in or settle in, but whatever it was, it did it. I can now shoot multitudes of ammo brands/types and numerous mags without issue. Now if I could get the Savage B22 FV-SR to respond the same way, I’d be a truly happy shooter.
Old June 13, 2022, 01:33 PM   #2
stagpanther

What is a misfeed?
Old June 13, 2022, 01:48 PM   #3
Boilerjack22

When you push the bolt forward and the round does not going the chamber
Old June 13, 2022, 01:55 PM   #4
stagpanther

So what was happening--the bullet misaligned from the chamber face and could not go into battery when closing the bolt?
Old June 13, 2022, 02:09 PM   #5
Boilerjack22

Yes, I believe, as I said the Precision started out terrible, but after about 2000 rounds, has now been perfect over the last 800 rounds

The other rifle, the Savage B22 FV-SR, after 4000-6000 rounds still does it about 15% of the time, multiple different mags, modified mags, different ammo, along with two trips back to Savage, nothing has improved it.

Last edited by Boilerjack22; June 13, 2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old June 13, 2022, 02:26 PM   #6
jetinteriorguy

Interesting. I have a plain old B22 with a heavy barrel that’s been flawless once I replaced the extractor. No misfeeds in thousands of rounds of any type. But loading that mag is a real pain. It’s a real tack driver, at 50 yds under 1/2”, at 75 yds under 3/4”, and at 100 yds it opens up but still under 1 1/4” with most of the ammo I’ve tried. I also had the same issue with my .17HMR extraction. I called Savage and they sent out new extractors and springs no charge and I received them within three days, and the new ones work perfect.