The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2013, 09:10 AM   #26
Mohave-Tec

I think some of the accuracy and speed I'm seeing can be attributed to the nearly 5 inch barrel of my Beretta. I don't see the speed or accuracy with my pocket Kahr with the same load. But WAP has been an excellent powder for me.
Old June 2, 2013, 09:37 AM   #27
Sure shot wv

Mohave, that's like me using my 5.25. Now in 40 I've got really good velocities with it out of a 4 inch xd and a beretta 96. I've got a few 165g that have hit 1200 in testing out of my xd. I didn't like them as much because they were a lot stiffer shooting. No pressure signs but it just didn't feel good in the gun. It was amazing how a 100-150 drop in fps changed the feeling of the round. Actually every autocomp round I've loaded did better at lower ends in terms of accuracy. High end was still ok but I don't like 2-3 inch groups at 15 yards. I want 1 inch or less. Autocomp struggles for me when pushed that hard but for just plinking there's no reason to push it.

All in all I've used about 15 pounds of autocomp in the last year so I for sure like it lol. Who knows I may fall in love with something else soon. But for now I'm happy with it.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:18 PM   #28
Wrangler5

I used to use Power Pistol in my 9mm IDPA loads until I got invited to participate in a night match. My loads were hugely entertaining, but ruined EVERYbody's night vision.

The preferred powder among the other 9mm shooters at our club's regular IDPA matches (a couple of whom are master class shooters) is Titegroup. In line with others' experience, I've found that 4.1g behind 124g jacketed bullets from both Precision Delta and Montana Gold makes IDPA minimum velocity out of my Glock 19, and almost makes it out of the Glock 26 I usually use (shoot what you carry - I'm not there for trophies.) As I understand it, IDPA loads have to make minimums out of a 5" barrel, so I know mine are good to go should I ever end up at a match where they actually check velocities.
Old June 2, 2013, 06:37 PM   #29

Mohave-Tec, I load 124 gr. Rem. JHPs that require higher velocity for best performance compared to the Golden Saber of the same weight. I load them with Silhouette and velocity is over 1200 FPS from the 4.14" barrel in my SR9. I won't say how much more or give the charge, but it would be considered a +P load and I have absolutely no indicators of excessive pressure. It's still a good bit below what the IPSC guys are loading to. It is extremely stable in 9mm loads.
Old June 2, 2013, 06:47 PM   #30
baddarryl

Quote:
I used to use Power Pistol in my 9mm IDPA loads until I got invited to participate in a night match. My loads were hugely entertaining, but ruined EVERYbody's night vision.

The preferred powder among the other 9mm shooters at our club's regular IDPA matches (a couple of whom are master class shooters) is Titegroup. In line with others' experience, I've found that 4.1g behind 124g jacketed bullets from both Precision Delta and Montana Gold makes IDPA minimum velocity out of my Glock 19, and almost makes it out of the Glock 26 I usually use (shoot what you carry - I'm not there for trophies.) As I understand it, IDPA loads have to make minimums out of a 5" barrel, so I know mine are good to go should I ever end up at a match where they actually check velocities.
I use G19 for it. Do you happen to know the min vel off the top of your head? I know it is in the IDPA rulebook 'somewhere'. Lol!
Old June 2, 2013, 06:54 PM   #31
Wrangler5

As I recall, the bullet weight in grains times velocity in feet/second has to equal 125,000 for "minor" calibers. For a 124g bullet that means 1,009 fps out of a "standard" barrel. I think my loads with 4.1g of Titegroup exceed 1,000 fps out of my G19, so I figure I'm fine.
Old June 2, 2013, 06:59 PM   #32
Mohave-Tec

57k. WAP had just a little less in the way of flash retardant than Silhouette but that is the only difference. When I got 1200fps in a 124 gr 9mm I was afraid that I was really hot since load data was scant at best but 5.8grs for the Golden Sabre and 5.1 grs for an XTREME plate RN both got 1200fps and absolutely no pressure signs.
I have no issue with Golden Saber but hope my shelve ammo ends up being Speer Gold Dot or the XTP. Who knows. I've not experimented with either.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:02 PM   #33
Mohave-Tec

Wrangler, one day I'm going to run out of my beloved WAP and I've got pounds of TiteGroup on the shelf. I hope to fall in love with it some day.
Anyway, 1000fps in a 9 should be plenty safe. I figure my 1200 fps is a freak bonus.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:29 PM   #34
Wrangler5

Just checked my records. My Titegroup load gives ~1030 fps out of my G19 and ~995 out of the G26, with both the Precision Delta and Montana Gold 124g bullets.

For comparison, the Speer Gold Dot 124g commercial loads that I actually carry in the G26 run ~1080 out of the G19 and ~1050 out of the G26. That is not a +P load, but I don't feel like I'm giving up much. And it means my IDPA loads are a pretty good simulation of my carry loads - which is the point of the competition, for me.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:38 PM   #35
baddarryl

Wouldn't you know a local shop out in the country had some powders on the shelf and I had no phone signal to see this site. Writing it all down now to go tomorrow and see if they have any.

I assumed these 124 gr XTP's were defense loads and wasn't going to load them for IDPA, but as hard as it is to find bullets right now I probably will. Will keep my eye out for some 147's to with that power floor in mind too. Thank you everyone.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:50 PM   #36
Mohave-Tec

Sell'm to me for retail and I'll send you a money order and 200 replacement round nose.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:10 PM   #37
bamiller

I have Bullseye, Unique, and Power Pistol and have been using Power Pistol for everything (9mm, 40 S&W, & 45 ACP) lately. No misfires and clean.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:16 PM   #38
reynolds357

Ramshot Zip and Ramshot true blue are awesome in the 9mm. Both are real clean burning. Ramshot has data online.
Old June 3, 2013, 09:16 PM   #39
Valerko

I can't help it but Unique is my go to powder for pretty much all my pistol loads.
Given ,I'm not pushing envelope with it, mostly just plinking ammo , but makes it easy to use it in 9,40,38,45...