The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Panfisher

Cons to bulk powder buy

Since it appears that I am settled on IMR 4895 for the majority of my rifle reloading (223, 22-250, 243,7-08, 30-30) and it is sometimes hard to find I am considering buying an 8lb bottle. Reloading room has a dehumidifier, and heater but no AC. I have plenty of empty bottles to transfer to if needed. Any downside? I can even seal the cans in vacuum packs if beneficial. Plus the cost seems like it would give me almost a free pound of powder. Trying to think of why I wouldn't want to.
Old December 9, 2014, 12:02 PM   #2
Kimber84

Buy it. Just the simple fact of knowing you have 8 lbs from the same lot number is enough of a reason for me. You'll have a longer run of consistent loads as opposed to buying multiple 1 lb containers.
Old December 9, 2014, 12:16 PM   #3
oldpapps

Cons:
Greater initial cash out lay - cheaper by the grain - Buy!
Potential of reaching some fire regulation - bogus - Buy!
..... Well, I ran out of cons.

Pros:
Cheaper in bulk.
Same lots number, no re-working for a change of components.

How I do it:
I keep powders in the original containers, except for what is being used. I will transfer into a smaller container (same markings as whit I'm putting in it) for a more convenient handling. (only one jug of powder on the bench at a time).

This is a no brainer, buy in bulk those powders you have and will have an on going need of.

Load with care,

OSOK
Old December 9, 2014, 01:38 PM   #4
Gadawg88

Buy it. No real need for special handling. Don't over think it. As long as you keep it dry (original container is all you need), extreme prolonged heat (90+ degrees) is the only real enemy. Even then it takes years to significantly degrade.
Old December 9, 2014, 02:49 PM   #5
745SW

I suggest not to store it in the garage. There was a time in the summer, I think, I was able to smell it in the air.
Old December 9, 2014, 03:36 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Consistent temperatures and humidity is more important than anything else. If your room is relatively cool and dry, you'll be fine.
Old December 9, 2014, 05:49 PM   #7
9MMand223only

Only 8 lbs? That is small quantity, I thought you were going to say like 48 lbs or something.
ha
Old December 9, 2014, 05:51 PM   #8
Panfisher

Awesome, pretty well sums up my thoughts. Still have one small bottle with original IMR 4895 sticker so will simply refill it. Now to find a big jug of it, patience! Only good side of having to go to "the city" every week is getting to check lgs's for s u pplies.
Old December 9, 2014, 08:14 PM   #9
WIL TERRY

CAN'T THINK OF ONE !! I try to buy propellent in 50LB kegs and it lasts for a reasonable period of time depending on the cartridges being handloaded. Seems like the 50lb keg of commercail 231 has lasted forevrer at 3.4GRS to 8.0GRS per cartridges.
Old December 9, 2014, 09:11 PM   #10
Panfisher

I would have to get a loan to buy a 50 lber. But who knows what the future will bring. Kind of wish gun stores would have big kegs and weigh out whatever you want into a container you bring. Sort of like buying 2 cycle outboard oil at a dealer.
Old December 9, 2014, 09:26 PM   #11
rg1

8 lbs. isn't going to last long loading all those calibers with the same powder. I wouldn't worry about your storage if the temperature doesn't get above 80 degrees. It'll store just as well in the original 8 lb. container and I wouldn't separate it into other bottles.
Old December 9, 2014, 09:26 PM   #12
sawdustdad

you could load over 81,000 rounds at 3.4g per with a 50lb keg. That's at least a few trips to the range.
Old December 9, 2014, 09:55 PM   #13
dickttx

Stick your big jug in the back of a linen closet or on the top shelf of a clothes closet. Constant temp.
Old December 9, 2014, 10:14 PM   #14
jmorris

I wouldn't consider 8 lbs "bulk".

To get the most out of the hazmat fee you need 48lbs.
Old December 10, 2014, 12:47 AM   #15
jdscholer

8 lbs. will only give ya around 1400 rounds with a 40 gr. charge weight. You might be doing this again in a year. jd
Old December 10, 2014, 08:26 AM   #16
Hunter2678

No cons...bulk is the way to go.
Old December 10, 2014, 10:41 AM   #17
MarkGlazer

Depending on where your reloading room is in your house, i.e. your heat exposure in the summer, you might consider a box fan (cheap). My reloading room is in an unfinished basement, equipped with a dehumidifier and a box fan, which keeps the air circulating and cool.

Good luck.
Old December 10, 2014, 11:02 AM   #18
Clark

When I started reloading 15 years ago, I bought 32 pounds of 4895.

It reminds me of a boy in my jr high school that had wing tip shoes.
I said to him, "Those things never wear out. You'll be wearing those forever."
He then showed me the bottom of his shoe. I could see what appeared to be a 1/4"drilled hole.

What has that got to do with my (4) 8# jugs of 4895?
A mouse gnawed a hole in one of them, and powder flowed out.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 10, 2014, 04:15 PM   #19
Peter M. Eick

Cons are simple. Legally storing the powder.

Think it through carefully as there are legal limits to how much powder you can store without special measures.
Old December 12, 2014, 07:39 PM   #20
Clark

If you exceed how much you can store in your house, you can store more in your vehicle.
I think twice as much in the vehicle.

I was in a gun store when the fire chief came in and found the same violations as last time.
He did not care about smokeless powder regs, but he only wanted to see one pound of black powder. So the owner moved all buy one to the back room.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 12, 2014, 09:04 PM   #21
Panfisher

My loading room is in a separate building from my house. Only fire chief here would be a volunteer one. I just need to find store with 8lb of IMR 4895 in stock. I am patient.
Old December 12, 2014, 09:27 PM   #22
4runnerman

I guess to me 8 lbs is not what I call bulk buy. The powder ( stored right) will last years.
Old December 14, 2014, 06:51 PM   #23
Average Joe

The more you buy now, is the less you'll have to hunt for it later.
Old December 14, 2014, 09:31 PM   #24
kilimanjaro

The only drawback to a bulk purchase is a legal or code sanction against it. Up here, the limit is either 25 pounds, or 50 pounds, not certain which right now, on one residential lot. It's a fire code thing, here.

You can call up the local Fire Marshall and inquire about the limit, if any, where you live.

Eight pounds is about 1,000 rounds of .30 caliber loading, so it's not going to last long if you shoot just once a month.
Old December 14, 2014, 09:36 PM   #25
MarkGlazer

One point that hasn't been mentioned yet but you will find it on related posts, insurance. For those who do stock their own inventories, I'm talking about substantial quantities, it would be wise to check your respective Homeowners' policies. Some are restrictive, others make no mention at all.

As for your impending purchase, 8 lbs of powder is a small sum and shouldn't be an issue as long as it is safe, i.e. not stored near a flame such as the gas heater, etc., etc. I've got a similar size in the house but it will grow as I continue to add hardware as each has its' own needs.

Good luck. Be safe.