The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 10, 2018, 04:04 PM   #1
2wheelwander

thoughts/wisdom on refurbing a model 83

Local shop has a CLAPPED out CZ 83. I mean its beat up. Metal looked good. Finish is shot and grips are HORRIBLE. I know its not worth much even in pristine condition but being a CZ lover I can't help but want to bring a sick puppy home.

I'm thinking if I can get this for next to nothing (pawn shop) I'd refurb/rebuild it, new grips, cerakote/chrome/blue the thing and just have fun with it. Going to go back tomorrow and make a low ball offer and see if I can snag it. Its not rusty but looks like its been in a glove box for a decade - and then some.

I'll check serial numbers, function check it, etc.

Thoughts? Pics if I get it.
Old September 10, 2018, 08:20 PM   #2
dakota.potts

83s are cheap enough that it would have to be a really good deal to justify the work instead of just buying one in decent shape. Unless you just want a project.

Do you plan to refinish it yourself? If so, I recommend considering Mark Lee Express Blue, with a decent gun paint being a good back up option. Either can be done reasonably well at home
Old September 10, 2018, 11:09 PM   #3
2wheelwander

Thanks Dakota. I'm gong to offer $100. They've been sitting on it a while. Grips are broke, held together with tape, its ugly. And yea, just looking for a project. It would be a learning effort on my part. Aside from an AR, I've never completely disassembled a firearm before. Never reblue'd either.

This would be a fun learning experience for me. I appreciate the tip.
Old September 11, 2018, 08:26 AM   #4
Fishbed77

I've performed a similar project on a CZ82 that was missing almost all its enamel finish and had terrible grips, but was otherwise in very good mechanical shape.

If you only pay $100 for this pistol, this project will be worth it. Just be warned - detailed disassembly/reassembly of the CZ 82/83 is very difficult. There are some tiny and maddeningly complicated internal parts, and how they go together is not obvious.

It's possible - I did it with basic gunsmithing tools (and a little tool I made out of a needle to re-install the sear spring). But bag and label all parts, set aside at least a whole afternoon for reassembly, do it in a clean/organized space, and be prepared to get frustated as you try about 100 times to get that sear spring properly installed.

Here is a guide, but I recommend you watch a few youtube videos as well:

http://leolani.net/relics/cz82.htm

Those warnings aside, the old enamel finish (if the CZ83 has the same typical finish as a CZ82) can be removed with the "Aircraft Stripper" you can buy at Autozone, and liberal use of a copper brush. Prepare to put in some elbow grease.

Duracote HK Semi-Gloss Black in a aerosol can runs about $55 and is an almost perfect match for the original CZ enamel, but will be much more durable. I would just get the whole kit with the Duracote degreaser and abrasive pad. Follow Duracote's directions for preparation and painting religiously.

You'll just be Duracoting just the slide and frame. All the small parts and the trigger guard are blued. Birchwood Casey Super Blue cold blue should work well for these parts. The barrel is in the white/chromed, and should not get a finish - mask this before Duracoting.

You can reassemble the pistol after giving the Duracote a few days to cure. I would give it at least 3 weeks to a month to cure before any heavy handling or shooting.

Original CZ83 black plastic grips are still available and not terribly expensive, and there are tons of aftermarket options on Ebay and elsewhere. Most grips on these pistols will need some fitting, as there were slight dimensional variations to the frames over the years.

Hope that helps. Like I said, this is a worthwhile project, and totally doable. Just know what you are getting into.

Last edited by Fishbed77; September 12, 2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old September 11, 2018, 06:45 PM   #5
2wheelwander

Thanks a TON fishbed77, this was exactly the sort of response I was looking for. Your tips are greatly appreciated!!!!

I plan on going to the pawn shop tomorrow and trying to get it for $100. I may go as high as $150, no more.
Old September 12, 2018, 08:11 AM   #6
Fishbed77

Here is a very good video showing full CZ-83 disassembly/reassembly. It's almost 2 hours long, but I recommend watching it and keep it handy while you work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv31Mr1XLsE

Be sure to post before/after photos!

Last edited by Fishbed77; September 12, 2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old September 12, 2018, 08:15 AM   #7
Jim Watson

Agree with Fishbed, it sounds like a fine DIY, but when I see people talking about paying a gunsmith to reclaim a beat up gun, I think they have failed to cost it out.
Old September 12, 2018, 09:05 PM   #8
2wheelwander

Here she is. Stopped in today, disassembled it, looked her over. Barrel and slide numbers matched. Took the rubber sleeve off and one grip panel fell away like it was on a big hinge. Evidence of surface rust on the inside (nothing horrible). They never even bothered to swabbing the barrel before putting it on a shelf. Very dirty. I put it back together, sat it down and offered $100. The guy behind the counter started to say yes. A girl who seemed to outrank him 15 feet away piped up and said they "don't have wiggle room in their firearms. They don't buy from a supplier and have in it what they have in it."
What I didn't tell them was I've been watching this for 6-8 weeks and the price keeps dropping from $385. A gang banger would walk right past it. I held my tongue instead of shooting her reasoning down that a decent pawn shop offers 20 cents on the dollar or less to begin to stay in business. My guess is they have $50 in the gun, maybe. I repeated what she had about not having any wiggle room, said a polite "Good luck" and walked out.

The finish was shot, but otherwise no scarring or major nicks. Would have been a fun project for me, but Hoosier Armory has a restored one with 2 mags and leather pouch/military holster for $450. Wish I could have scored it and restored the thing and learned along the way, but no where near their asking price. Wasn't meant to be.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/866806...83-in--380-acp
Old September 13, 2018, 09:03 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
Would have been a fun project for me, but Hoosier Armory has a restored one with 2 mags and leather pouch/military holster for $450.
$450 is far too high a price.

I purchased a very nice CZ82 (probably 95% finish - just a few scratches) with holster and one mag back in July for $350 from Classic Firearms. I honestly didn't feel like it was a great deal, but I certainly don't think I would spend $450 for one of these.

Last edited by Fishbed77; September 13, 2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old September 13, 2018, 12:30 PM   #10
DaleA

Too bad. Sounds like it would have been a worth while project especially since, IMhO, you were going at it with the best possible attitude, that it would be a learning (fun) experience.

BUT

You'll still be stopping off at the pawn shop occasionally to see if they have other stuff? If so you might be there when they change their mind.

Good luck and thanks for posting the link to that poor old CZ.
Old September 13, 2018, 03:38 PM   #11
dakota.potts

There will be other projects come along. Maybe even some that are a little easier for a beginner. I just snatched up bunch on gunbroker myself
Old September 13, 2018, 06:17 PM   #12
2wheelwander

Thanks for the kind comments gents. I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe stop by in another month. Who knows. Would've been fun to save it.

Maybe this thread isn't dead yet! I'll post here if it works out and they come to their senses.
Old September 17, 2018, 08:48 AM   #13
Fishbed77

FYI - Centerfire Systems has various grades of CZ83 available now from $260-$350.