The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 27, 2018, 10:14 AM   #1
Prof Young

Gander "Outdoors"

Was in Kentucky yesterday and ran across Gander Outdoors. Seems The Good Sam Club (Not to be confused with Sams Club) and Camping World bought out Gander Mountain and "rebranded." Anyway, the pistol prices are far better than they used to be at Gander Mountain. Plain Jane Sig P238 for well below $600. Might just work.

I was at the one in Paducah. Guy there told me there will be one in O'Fallon IL too, which is good news as that is closer to home.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old March 27, 2018, 11:43 AM   #2
BarryLee

I remember reading that the guy on CNBC show The Profit Marcus Lemonis had bought the company and planned to reopen some of them.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...res/101409474/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 27, 2018, 12:00 PM   #3
FITASC

The one near my house is 1000X better than the old Gander Mountain. Join the Good Sams club and get 5% additional off everything in the store including guns, ammo and reloading stuff. Powder is at Midway pricing or less.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 27, 2018, 03:10 PM   #4
carguychris

I wonder if they will honor Gander Mountain gift cards.

Uh, this question has nothing to do with my recent effort to clean out my desk. Really.
Old March 27, 2018, 06:16 PM   #5
FITASC

No they won't. GM went away; different owner, different company, similar name.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 27, 2018, 10:21 PM   #6
TimW77

"...there will be one in O'Fallon IL too..."

Not "will be", there already is one there...

T.
Old March 27, 2018, 10:41 PM   #7
Screwball

I went to Ocala in February to see my fiancé... one right off I-75. Wasn’t open. Right next to Northern.

Drove by it today, as I’m back down to drive back with her... and says it is now open. While I’m interested, have better crap to do now.
Old March 28, 2018, 03:01 AM   #8
bamaranger

Florence , AL

Working on one here too.
Old March 28, 2018, 10:02 PM   #9
Carmike

Good to hear. I remember when the "big sales" were happening during Gander Mountain's last strained breaths, and the guns finally got down to MSRP.
Old April 18, 2018, 08:43 PM   #10
Prof Young

O' Fallon IL Store ?????

Tim:
Ran by the old Gander Mountain sight in OFallon IL today and it's still an empty store. Did they open the Gander Outdoors at a different location?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old April 24, 2018, 05:05 PM   #11
sevt_chevelle

I've been in the Gander Outdoors several times in Janesville WI, stocked full of guns with decent to good prices. Also had several Aero AR uppers, lowers and handrails.
Old April 27, 2018, 07:33 AM   #12
Skans

I really liked Gander Mountain when it first opened. It had a nice archery range. A good assortment of used rifles which were very reasonably priced. Used rifles were kept in racks accessible by customers. All that changed, went away, and prices went way up. Almost over night, it was like some idiot bought the chain and decided to make it a high-priced, low quality, unfriendly place to go.
Old May 6, 2018, 01:21 PM   #13
Hitthespot

We had a Gander Mountain close in our neck of the woods. Several local articles claimed it would open in April this year as a Gander Outdoors. I believe I read it on their site also. Drove there yesterday (5/5/18) to check the place out. The building had been nicely re-faced and a new Gander Outdoor sign on the building, but they still have not opened.

Gander Mountain the last couple of years before closing was expensive here. I'll give a first impression on the new store in this thread, if it's still open after my first visit.
Old May 6, 2018, 04:12 PM   #14
FITASC

Quote:
I went to Ocala in February to see my fiancé... one right off I-75. Wasn’t open. Right next to Northern.

Drove by it today, as I’m back down to drive back with her... and says it is now open. While I’m interested, have better crap to do now.
Seeing how you are from NJ, you might want to stop in and load up on ammo, powder, etc. Good prices.
Old May 6, 2018, 04:44 PM   #15
10-96

One reopened at a GO here in Amarillo a couple of months ago. I've made it by there once so far. And yup- their firearm prices are quite a bit cheaper than the old GM. If it wasn't the "enemy" I would probably stop by more often (my daughter works for Academy).

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 7, 2018, 06:48 AM   #16
cecILL

O'Fallon building, "For sale or lease."
Old June 2, 2018, 08:49 PM   #17
Hitthespot

The Store by me finally opened. It was very organized and had a better thought out floor plan in my opinion. Prices seemed much better than the old Gander Mountain. I viewed the gun counter and saw a P365 in the case. Clerk told me they got six in and have sold all but one in back and one in the case in just 4 days. I said, I better take it before it's gone.

The whole buying process took much longer than usual. Had to fill out the form on an I pad now. Clerk had trouble getting the computer to do what he needed and I must have been there 45 minutes while he asked at least 4 people what to do and they didn't know either. Wife wasn't happy.
All in all he got it figured out and I was happy with my new Sig P365.

Fire arms were very well stocked. I hope this store ends up being an asset and welcomed addition to the area, and not just a source to avoided like its predecessor.
Old June 3, 2018, 11:57 AM   #18
Pops1085

Was under the impression that they weren't even going to be selling firearms anymore. May have to go check them out soon then. Didn't shed a tear when they closed, prices were WAY too high. Asking $500 for a Ruger American in 308. Store right across the street had the same exact model for $375.