The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 8, 2018, 09:56 AM   #1
bamaranger

Ching sling question?

Can someone please take a measurement of the length of the center section of a genuine Ching type sling and advise. What I am looking for is the actual length of the central strip, that runs from just ahead of the magazine, back to the main length of the fore/aft section of the sling itself. Essentially, that portion of the sling that makes it a Ching instead of a simple carry strap.

Do not need the measurement to include the swivels or studs, just the length of the strip itself. Am working one up DIY and need that measurement as a guide.

Thanks all
Old March 8, 2018, 10:18 AM   #2
reinert

I had no idea what a Ching Sling was, so I did a search and came up with this. Looks like someone from long ago had your same question. Hope this helps you out.

http://www.thehighroad.org/index.php...ensions.138305
Old March 8, 2018, 08:07 PM   #3
bamaranger

there ya go

Well......thanks. In hindsight, I suppose I could have searched it more thoroughly myself. I appreciate your response.

The Ching sling, and some of its kin like the Rhodesian sling, are shooting slings with a simpler, hence arguably faster to acquire afield, than the GI 1907 sling. They are commonly associated with the scout rifle family, but can be just as easily fitted to a standard sporter, provided there is a central attachment point for the middle strap.

I will cut my section 16". In the post, it mentions using a piece of chain link for the shackle, that's a good idea too.
Old March 8, 2018, 09:28 PM   #4
emcon5

I really like the idea of the Rhodesian sling, should be about as fast as the Ching sling but doesn't need the third swivel.

https://www.andysleather.com/collections/slings
Old March 10, 2018, 01:38 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

That's just a single point target sling(a Cuff sling). A Ching Sling requires three connection points.
The length of the "central strip" can be whatever you want/need it to be.