The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2011, 01:22 PM   #1
kealil

Bullet redesign/ creation

Hey all,
I've been loading for a couple months now and have been daydreaming about my own bullet types and the creation of said bullets.

I want to start developing these special bullets but I don't know the legality of it. What are the rules for creating your own type of bullets? I remember reading about a round called " black rhino" that seemed to get people in trouble.

Any advice? Also, I know I'm being vague but I only have an iota of an idea right now and want to gauge the legality of this before I devote any energy to it.

Thanks ahead of time
Old October 21, 2011, 01:33 PM   #2
rjrivero

The Black Rhino, if I remember is like the Unicorn. Much talked about, some say they saw it, but never really amounted to anything.

The thing about building a better bullet is that it can be a double edged sword. If your bullet design functions well, it causes the black rhino type hysteria. If it doesn't work well, it's another "marketing gimmick."

Without knowing your specifics: Exploding bullets are a no no. Bullets that penetrate body armor seem to cause heartburn. (Although I don't really get that part. Most Deer Hunting rounds turn kevlar into tissue paper anyway!) Fragmenting bullets are okay, as long as they are touted as "safety slugs" and don't penetrate anything.
Old October 21, 2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Sevens

I don't think you have any real issues until you elect to sell your hand-crafted product. At that point, you need a Federal manufacturer's license and it comes with all sorts of glorious fees and taxes.
Old October 21, 2011, 05:05 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

As long as it doesn't qualify as armor-piercing, incendiary, or anything else that is regulated; and you don't sell them; you can make anything you want.

If you hope to sell them...
You need to look into getting an 06 FFL, liability insurance, business license, etc. ...And you won't make any money at it, so long as it's a hobby.
Old October 21, 2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Jim243

I am not aware of any FFL requirements for the production of bullets, loaded ammo yes, but bullets and copper cases not sure one is needed. Yes, you will need to meet EPA and OSHA requirements but ATF not sure.

Jim
Old October 21, 2011, 06:59 PM   #6
dunerjeff

I think making and selling bullets are just like any other business.It's when you start assembling the parts that permits come in to crush your dreams.
Old October 21, 2011, 09:18 PM   #7
GP100man

Sellin stuff for money !!!

That`s what it comes down to fellers !!!

If you manufacture anything & sell it in a business like manner ya better have ya license !!!

In this case ammo & parts to assemble ammo is the same thing !!

Do a search , there`s been many threads on this exact subject !!!!

006 FFL is the 1 needed .
Old October 23, 2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Robert Palermo

You need a class 06 liscence from BATF. Manufacture of any of the componet parts like bullets, brass, powder, and primers are all classified as ammunition mfg and must have the 06FFL.
If you are manufacturing pistol bullets or rifle bullets that can be used in pistol/rifles like .223 and 7.62x39 and similar crossovers, cannot be made from the 7 deadly metals as listed in the FFL guide. Tungsten, steel, berrilium copper, depleted uranium, brass, bronze and one more that I can't remember right now.
The bullets core or if made solid cannot use these metals. Even PMC when they made their famous cookie cutter bullet from hollow copper was outlawed even though they claimed the bullet wouldn't defeat body armour. That was a non-issue as far as the BATF was concened.

Last edited by Robert Palermo; October 23, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old October 23, 2011, 01:46 PM   #9
armoredman

The only easy way to make bullets the way you like 'em, is to come up with a cast design, and have Lyman or NOE make you a mold to your specifications. Not real cheap, but easy, cast away.
Old October 23, 2011, 04:07 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I am not aware of any FFL requirements for the production of bullets, loaded ammo yes, but bullets and copper cases not sure one is needed. Yes, you will need to meet EPA and OSHA requirements but ATF not sure.
For personal use, you don't need any licenses.

But, when producing them for sale... a bullet is "ammunition", as defined by the ATF. Since you must have an 06 (or better) FFL to manufacture ammunition for sale; you must have an 06 (or better) FFL to manufacture bullets for sale. In the eyes of the ATF, they are one, and the same.
Old October 24, 2011, 04:43 PM   #11
kealil

Ok, sounds like I'd be in the clear if I made it for my own personal use(which it is). I plan figuring up a bullet that would be essentially a ball round but split into four projectiles after firing. I wanna call the round the four horsemen.
Old October 24, 2011, 06:39 PM   #12
davery25

sweet, is this thing jacketed?