The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 4, 2017, 03:17 PM   #1
Wendyj

Browning A Bolt keep or not.

I've owned Remington's, Winchester, CZ, Sako, Tikka Ect but we have never had a Browning in the house. Husband inherited a synthetic A bolt in 270 from a friend who just wanted him to have it since he didn't hunt anymore. Looks near 90% condition. Will have to shoot to know for sure but would like to know thoughts on the A bolt.
Old August 4, 2017, 03:43 PM   #2
birdshot

I have one like yours in 7mm Mag. "Knock on "synthetic wood"", I have never had to re zero the rifle. I have carried that rifle from, wet gulf states to arid west, up and down the hill. I like the bolt throw. easy care, fairly accurate, (I have had the trigger re-worked). just a nice boring rifle.
Old August 4, 2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Dranrab

That rifle is a solid one. Very likely to be accurate and dependable. I say keep it!
Old August 4, 2017, 04:01 PM   #4
Wendyj

According to serial number search it is 1993 composite stalker. I like the weight and want it for myself. No problem if recoil doesn't bother me. Looks like I might be able to find a better butt stock pad I hope. This one is rubber but hard as a rock like the Tikkas. I found 2 small slits in the back. Hopefully a nice shooter. I would like to reload for it.
Old August 4, 2017, 11:48 PM   #5
lefteye

My thoughts on the A-Bolt. I have a left-hand A-Bolt Stainless Stalker .300 Win. Mag with a 26" barrel and a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x scope. I've taken it on two elk hunts and got two 5 X 5 elk (one is on my wall) and a small black bear at range of about 250 yards (best guess). The big elk was walking toward me on a high mountain-side trail in timber and the shot was less than 25 yards. In my opinion A-Bolt rifles are well made and accurate. I also have a left-hand Stainless Stalker in 7mm Rem Mag that has never been shot. I'd say keep it.

Edit: I began reloading rifle cartridges in 1974 and have never hunted with a factory loaded cartridge.

Last edited by lefteye; August 5, 2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old August 5, 2017, 03:31 PM   #6
std7mag

Wendy,

I'd say keep it. Especially if the recoil for you isn't bad. And being as you shoot 7mm Rem Mag and more, the 270 will be highly acceptable.

270 isn't for me, but there is not a darn thing wrong with it.

std7mag
Old August 5, 2017, 05:36 PM   #7
Dufus

I have three wood stocked A-bolts and wouldn't trade one of them for 10 M700s....I like them that much.
Old August 5, 2017, 10:24 PM   #8
std7mag

I might trade my wife's Rossi R243 on a 700. But i'd have to think about it. Lol
Old August 6, 2017, 03:40 PM   #9
hseII

Browning A Bolt keep or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyj View Post
I've owned Remington's, Winchester, CZ, Sako, Tikka Ect but we have never had a Browning in the house. Husband inherited a synthetic A bolt in 270 from a friend who just wanted him to have it since he didn't hunt anymore. Looks near 90% condition. Will have to shoot to know for sure but would like to know thoughts on the A bolt.

Made In Japan, & with a little time determining what it likes, will probably shoot with or out shoot the others mentioned.

Try Winchester's Supreme line in the 140grain Accubond.

I've had really good luck with that combo.
Old August 6, 2017, 03:42 PM   #10
hseII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyj View Post
According to serial number search it is 1993 composite stalker. I like the weight and want it for myself. No problem if recoil doesn't bother me. Looks like I might be able to find a better butt stock pad I hope. This one is rubber but hard as a rock like the Tikkas. I found 2 small slits in the back. Hopefully a nice shooter. I would like to reload for it.

Mine is an A-Bolt II, so maybe there is a difference there, but the composite stock on the one I reference is just about perfect for a .270.

I wonder if the stocks are the same, or are interchangeable?

If so, that's what I'd recommend.
Old August 6, 2017, 04:21 PM   #11
RC20

If you like it, keep it. I suspect its plenty good enough to hunt with.
270 is a good caliber. Not my first choice but it would have served just fine when I was hunting. Certainly in the top 3 (30-06, 308 and 270 IMNSHO) - caveat: add the 7.5 Swiss in there as good and effective but not practical as its hand load only (though it is carried locally at the Big C)

Get a 1 inch Kickeeze or a Limbsaver.

I read a report the Limbsaver deteriorates and the Kickeeze did not, can't verify that.

I do have the Kickeeze on 3 rifles and can shoot all day long.

30-06, 308, 7.5 Swiss.
Old August 9, 2017, 11:56 AM   #12
GeauxTide

The recoil velocity is what those plastics stocks/hard pads deliver (30-06 and 308 for me). I've gone to Boyd's Prairie Hunter Laminate with Limbsavers and are very comfortable. Any, they really dress up the piece.
Old August 9, 2017, 12:34 PM   #13
smee78

Unless you need the money I see no reason to wait until you have put a box of shells through it to decide if you want to sell it. I have never shot a 270 but have heard good things about them, I say shoot it first then decide if its right for you. Also keep in mind it is easy to find ammo for and its fairly cheap.
Old August 9, 2017, 04:30 PM   #14
Wendyj

I don't need the money. As per prior posts I do shoot a 7 mag and 300 wsm. Never shot a 270 but am aware the recoil is much lighter. Recoil pad is like a rock in it but will wait to see how it shoots before buying a different one. Can't beat me up more than old model 70 in 30-06 with hard plastic screwed to wood. I haven't shot anything in a long time I haven't loaded for so this going to be a first. I just picked up a box of Winchester soft points and box of Federal Fusion to zero and check groups. Waiting to order dies until I see if it will hold 1to 1/2 or so with factory. I should be able to load and tighten that up. 130-150 kind of throws me some with a ten twist. All my 30 calibers only really punch great groups with 175-180 grain bullets.
Old August 12, 2017, 05:16 PM   #15
Kachok

I have a synthetic A-Bolt in 7mm-08 and I really like it, while the action and trigger are not as perfect as the Tikka the flip down magazine is my favorite of any rifle. Mine struggled with factory ammo but I have a couple handloads that you could split hairs with. After five years of ownership I would buy another without question. My vote, shoot it and if you like it keep it.
Old August 12, 2017, 07:48 PM   #16
gwpercle

I keep nice gifts from friends, especially if they wanted me to have them...brings back pleasant memories of them .
A fine Remington in 270 from a friend...what's not to like ?
Old August 17, 2017, 11:50 AM   #17
Worc

The Abolt is a very nice rifle. They have smooth actions with a short bolt throw. They have adjustable triggers and tend to be accurate shooting guns.

I have one in .223 rem and I have done little to it. I removed the trigger shoe and rounded off the edges. I also installed a lighter spring from Timney https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/...pring-kit.aspx Both of these small mods put the trigger closer to my Sako and Weatherby triggers that I like so much.
Old August 17, 2017, 10:16 PM   #18
std7mag

Well?
What did you decide?
Old August 18, 2017, 05:15 AM   #19
Wendyj

Went to the range and it was an ok shooter. Doesn't like 140 pr 150 grain factory but done rally nice with 130 grain. Haven't got dies for it yet so waiting for them and try some reloads. Too soon to tell but will keep I'm sure.